Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 02:51 It is currently 05 May 2024, 02:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Booth, Wharton, or Kellogg

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.56
WE:Corporate Finance (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Re: Help: Booth vs Wharton vs Kellogg MMM acceptances [#permalink]
elbie wrote:
Yup, I've read her blog and many of her posts here :)

Two questions I'd have for you:

1) Is the money the same at all three schools?
2) What originally appealed to you about the MMM option at Kellogg? It's a very unique program and definitely a differentiating factor here. Do you see yourself using the second degree in your chosen career field?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [1]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
elbie wrote:
Should I go with my gut about where I think I will fit in best with the other students (Booth), go for prestige and better rankings in what I want to do (Wharton), or go for a more diverse class and a dual degree (Kellogg)?

Go with your gut on this one. I wouldn't worry about General Management rankings - all three of these are world class schools and the prestige/rankings are razor thin between them.

Take a look at the employment reports of the functions and geography where they place students and ask yourself where you'll be the happiest. You can't make a wrong decision here.

Judging on what I quoted above, the answer looks like Booth. Like I said before, I don't think Wharton's better ranking in General management means anything, and the argument for Kellogg is pretty weak: Diverse? All of these schools have a diverse student body. Dual degree? Why do you want it and how will it help you in your goals? It sounds like you're giving Kellogg a check in the "PRO" column because you'll come out of there with two degrees, but I'm not sure how applicable MMM is to general management, especially when you consider how the MEM degree will effect your choice of electives.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
kingfalcon wrote:
elbie wrote:

2) What originally appealed to you about the MMM option at Kellogg? It's a very unique program and definitely a differentiating factor here. Do you see yourself using the second degree in your chosen career field?

1) Money is zero at all 3 though I plan to try asking for some once I determine which my favorite is (I have $ at Ross so I am hoping to leverage that). It would certainly convince me to go to either Booth or Wharton.

2) I like MMM because I come from Tech and am interested in Biotech. The innovation focus is very appealing to me (coming from Silicone Valley) plus I think an Engineering degree would give me a bit more credibility with Engineers that I would be managing. This was probably my top choice before visiting Kellogg and Booth last spring.

- Booth blew me away with their dedication to welcome potential applicants and I felt at home with the "nerdy" culture.
- Kellogg facilities certainly can not compare and the students I met were mostly typical marketing-types that are the stereotype of the school - I did not feel a great connection with them. I think I likely would connect more with the MMM students, but I have only met a few alum - not enough to really be able to tell.
- Wharton.... I did not get a great vibe. They just seemed so proud of themselves for being Wharton - the admissions office barely lifted a finger to help me get a sense of the school - even when I was interviewing. My stock question to interviewers is "Why X school?" and the guy at Wharton said he had never been asked that before. That mentality just rubbed me the wrong way - but I think I should give it another chance because I think it would be different now that I am in.

I mostly wonder if it makes sense to choose Booth despite the fact that it is likely the worst of the 3 for what I want to do. There are so many finance people there that I likely will never utilize in my career network. Kellogg people are much more likely to work for companies that I want to work for, and I think Wharton too.

Another consideration - I don't drink and I think that might be a bigger problem at Kellogg and possibly Wharton?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [4]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Elbie, please feel free to PM about this. If you want to talk on the phone that would be a lot better than typing this out. I've experienced a lot of what you describe when I was trying to figure out where to go. Also I don't drink either. I promise no campaigning for Booth, just a sounding board and my thoughts on your concerns.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 327 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Kudos
elbie wrote:
kingfalcon wrote:
elbie wrote:

1) Money is zero at all 3 though I plan to try asking for some once I determine which my favorite is (I have $ at Ross so I am hoping to leverage that). It would certainly convince me to go to either Booth or Wharton.

2) I like MMM because I come from Tech and am interested in Biotech. The innovation focus is very appealing to me (coming from Silicone Valley) plus I think an Engineering degree would give me a bit more credibility with Engineers that I would be managing. This was probably my top choice before visiting Kellogg and Booth last spring.

- Booth blew me away with their dedication to welcome potential applicants and I felt at home with the "nerdy" culture.
- Kellogg facilities certainly can not compare and the students I met were mostly typical marketing-types that are the stereotype of the school - I did not feel a great connection with them. I think I likely would connect more with the MMM students, but I have only met a few alum - not enough to really be able to tell.
- Wharton.... I did not get a great vibe. They just seemed so proud of themselves for being Wharton - the admissions office barely lifted a finger to help me get a sense of the school - even when I was interviewing. My stock question to interviewers is "Why X school?" and the guy at Wharton said he had never been asked that before. That mentality just rubbed me the wrong way - but I think I should give it another chance because I think it would be different now that I am in.

I mostly wonder if it makes sense to choose Booth despite the fact that it is likely the worst of the 3 for what I want to do. There are so many finance people there that I likely will never utilize in my career network. Kellogg people are much more likely to work for companies that I want to work for, and I think Wharton too.

Another consideration - I don't drink and I think that might be a bigger problem at Kellogg and possibly Wharton?

Happy New Year Elbie and CONGRATS! I totally share the same feeling and struggle with you since I received the calls from Wharton and Chicago (with some money).

From employment point of view, I found it very helpful to talk to people who know the companies that you look to join, such as their recruiting team members, ex- or current employees, and headhunters. They might help you get a sense of whether your target companies favor a school over another and how people see Boothies and Whartoners at those companies in specific locations. I'd also try to gauge whether the faculty members have any work relationship with your target companies.

From learning and culture point of view, hmm I totally agree with what you said about Booth. Boothies I met are so friendly and helpful and how they reached out to me to extend a warm welcome (plus scholarship) did move me! While for Wharton, since I'd prefer to switch from consulting to finance in Asia. Wharton does have slightly better brand and broader network in this market still.. I'd also look at the course list to see which school offers a better curriculum according to your needs.

Just want to share what I am thinking as I have the same problem. I will prob attend both schools' admit weekend to see whether I like the people I meet and what I see on campus before I make up my mind. After all, they are all great schools so have fun solving this problem!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q39 V39
WE:Other (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
elbie wrote:
kingfalcon wrote:
elbie wrote:

I actually voted wharton before reading your posts. Personally, I would choose a school that i felt more comfortable at. I had your Wharton experience at one of the schools I visited and was very disappointed. They literally went from my top choice to bottom of the list.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [2]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
While I do think that fit is important, I don't think that it's everything. First ask yourself what you want out of your MBA experience. Do you want to build relationships with people who you normally wouldn't interact with? Do you want to be a bit challenged socially? Then maybe going to the school that feels like home isn't the best idea. However, if you do want to be in a place where you can find "your people" then fit definitely matters more. There's no right or wrong answer, just personal preference. Mind you, never go to a school that feels all wrong. You will hate it and while it's okay to not always be comfortable during your two years in business school, you should not be miserable. For me, Kellogg was the school that felt the most familiar and natural to me. However, that's the biggest reason why my final decision really came down to Wharton vs. Booth. But that's just me...someone else might feel that their best fit school is Wharton or Booth. My most recent blog post is on this very topic and gives some food for thought.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks so much for all the advice everyone, I really appreciate it!

I'll probably see you at both calvinhobbes!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 126
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: ISB '18 (A)
GPA: 2.7
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
While I do think that fit is important, I don't think that it's everything. First ask yourself what you want out of your MBA experience. Do you want to build relationships with people who you normally wouldn't interact with? Do you want to be a bit challenged socially? Then maybe going to the school that feels like home isn't the best idea. However, if you do want to be in a place where you can find "your people" then fit definitely matters more. There's no right or wrong answer, just personal preference. Mind you, never go to a school that feels all wrong. You will hate it and while it's okay to not always be comfortable during your two years in business school, you should not be miserable. For me, Kellogg was the school that felt the most familiar and natural to me. However, that's the biggest reason why my final decision really came down to Wharton vs. Booth. But that's just me...someone else might feel that their best fit school is Wharton or Booth. My most recent blog post is on this very topic and gives some food for thought.

I really liked the "fit" portion you mentioned in the post :)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1130 posts