Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 15:52 It is currently 05 May 2024, 15:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT Date: 03-10-2012
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73049 [0]
Given Kudos: 18908
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V35
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT Date: 03-10-2012
Send PM
Re: I am really bad at Math, need help PLEASE!! [#permalink]
Thank you bb and dmnk for your advice. I am going to order that book today and get going on it asap. The weird thing that I was just thinking was that when I have gone through my review of math over the last three months, it feels like I am familiar with most of the topics. It is just when I go through the GMAT math questions and word questions, I get really confused and then do not know how to start to answer them. Then I would go through the answer in the answer section and see how to do it, and I am familiar with the actual math in answering the question, but setting up how to get to the math is where I think I am disconnected the most. I am not sure if I am making much sense. Let me know if you understand. Thanks a million, and yes this site is amazing, I am very glad to have found this!!!!!

Josh
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73049 [0]
Given Kudos: 18908
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
I would also recommend the GMAT roadmap book - it is not designed to teach you the GMAT strategies or material but for $16 you will get a list of the best practices and tips for how to study and structure your prep - all 240 pages.

It is an easy read and comes with 6 cat tests (though you may have already gotten them)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [6]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Babson '15
WE:Consulting (Accounting)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I used to be terrible at Math as well. My quant score increased from a lowly 12 to a respectable 44. It took me about 3-4 months to slowly pick up all the pieces. I used a bunch of free resources and I bought a couple of books as well . MGMAT quant foundations book helped me a lot, but I determined that I needed more help, I wanted to see problems being worked in front of me for this purpose, I used Khan academy lectures, which are available for free online. Finally, there is another new resource out there called GMATPREPNOW (GPN), the content is delivered in bite sized videos, many of them are free to watch. I watched all the free videos and decided to purchase all the quant modules for 139$. Once I completed my video lessons not only was I able to do 80% of OG 12 problems with relative ease, but also I saw my quant score go up 10 pts (on GMATprep test 32 to 42). Above all, it all comes down to the number of hours you spend practicing and analyzing (post-problem analysis, even if you get it right). I maintained detailed error logs by problem type and would review them after each study session. So, good luck on your path to mastery, for the GMAT you'll need to be very comfortable with the content almost to the point that all this becomes second nature.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
GPA: 3.78
Send PM
Same boat, how do I improve my math Starting from scratch, the MAnhattan guide is hard for me, is the Kaplan Math refresher any better, or a waste of $300?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
Policarpa wrote:
Same boat, how do I improve my math Starting from scratch, the MAnhattan guide is hard for me, is the Kaplan Math refresher any better, or a waste of $300?

My math score was pitiful on my first practice test. I think it was in the low 20's. I found the Manhattan math guides to be very helpful to me. I went through them slowly starting with the numbers properties guide and working up. Once I finished them I worked through the OG's and made sure I understood how to do every problem. The entire process took me over 4 months, but I ended up getting a pretty decent 49 on the math section.

I was lucky that I'm naturally good at the verbal so I never had to study that. I focused completely on the math section for 4+ months. I studied about 2 hours every night, and more on the weekends.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
GPA: 3.78
Send PM
Thanks for the quick response, what about the Manhattan Math Foundation book, it's 500 pages, how does one possibly work it in, do you do it concurrently w the others or start after number properties or save it for last?
Thks

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [1]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM