Last visit was: 30 May 2024, 16:35 It is currently 30 May 2024, 16:35
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1192 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1876 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3
WE:Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Signs or a bird in the hand.... [#permalink]
thelosthippie wrote:
There could be 2 ways to look at this:

1. The consultants will always tell you that you have a shot at top 15 as they want more business. So it boils down to whether you trust the consultant.

2. But again you do MBA only once in life, its a launchpad and homebase you will always carry, so a top 15 school is an investment for life. I guess you should give it another shot next year.

All the best! 8-)

Well the point is.. I am not paying a single penny here to the consultant.. As I mentioned, I won the package from them..so consultant doesn't have any incentive as far as business from me is concerned..
Current Student
Send PM
MacFauz wrote:
Wow... I feel for you man...... Really tough decision.... Especially with the money involved... But IMHO, if you really feel you have got a chance at a top 15 school, then you should let this bird in the hand go... You'll always be wondering if you could have done better.. You can never say for certain that you put forward your best presentation of your profile the past.. With the help of the consultant next year at the least you would know that you are putting your best foot forward...

Have you tried asking Olin to defer the decision by one year?

Hey dude..thanks for ur reply..
Yeah...olin said deferral is not an option...:(
What would you do..?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Vips0000 wrote:
MacFauz wrote:
Wow... I feel for you man...... Really tough decision.... Especially with the money involved... But IMHO, if you really feel you have got a chance at a top 15 school, then you should let this bird in the hand go... You'll always be wondering if you could have done better.. You can never say for certain that you put forward your best presentation of your profile the past.. With the help of the consultant next year at the least you would know that you are putting your best foot forward...

Have you tried asking Olin to defer the decision by one year?

Hey dude..thanks for ur reply..
Yeah...olin said deferral is not an option...:(
What would you do..?

I still wouldn't go with Olin.. For one the admit with scholarship clearly shows that your profile is clearly at least strong enough for a school in Olin's range.. You could still apply next year in a similar ranged school next year and get an admission... IMHO... At least for the two years that you are in b-school, you'll always be having a "what if" on your mind... I myself would find that very distracting (which you definitely don't want while in b-school)...

It's a really tough decision no doubt... It's up to you to decide whether if you go with Olin the thought that "I could have done better" would be on your mind and that whether being free of that thought and a chance at a better school is worth one year and $40,000..
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Vips0000 wrote:
At the end of application year, i'm confused as ever..

Applied to duke/Ross/Cornell in round 3/2/4. Duke and Ross were the colleges where I had in fact put in lot of work/effort caz I seriously loved these colleges.. In addition, applied to olin in round 3 just because the college was decently ranked and application-very convenient with no fee, no reco, and only 1 SOP.

any thoughts... ??

Well, for starters, I think your application strategy was seriously flawed. Was there a reason you waited until the last round to apply to Duke and Cornell? Any reason why you didn't apply to any schools in Round 1? Or at the very least, all three of those schools in Round 2? Also - applying to Olin because it was convenient is a poor reason to apply to any school, and I think you know that since you're wondering if you even want to go there.

Target Round 1 for this fall. October is going to be here before you know it.
Current Student
Send PM
CobraKai wrote:
Vips0000 wrote:
At the end of application year, i'm confused as ever..

Applied to duke/Ross/Cornell in round 3/2/4. Duke and Ross were the colleges where I had in fact put in lot of work/effort caz I seriously loved these colleges.. In addition, applied to olin in round 3 just because the college was decently ranked and application-very convenient with no fee, no reco, and only 1 SOP.

any thoughts... ??

Well, for starters, I think your application strategy was seriously flawed. Was there a reason you waited until the last round to apply to Duke and Cornell? Any reason why you didn't apply to any schools in Round 1? Or at the very least, all three of those schools in Round 2? Also - applying to Olin because it was convenient is a poor reason to apply to any school, and I think you know that since you're wondering if you even want to go there.

Target Round 1 for this fall. October is going to be here before you know it.

The only reason to apply late was that I started the process late.. Before these rounds I dint have a GMAT score to submit...

well applying to a school for convenient application is a poor reason, but is saving 1 year and few bucks also a poor reason to attend a decent college (Washington University (olin)) ?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [1]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
Vips0000 wrote:

well applying to a school for convenient application is a poor reason, but is saving 1 year and few bucks also a poor reason to attend a decent college (Washington University (olin)) ?

It is if you're not going to be happy with your choice.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 629 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Vips,

Just because its convenient to get in does not mean Olin is a bad school. The numbers(on link below) should give you an indication about the competitiveness of Consulting hires as you go down the rankings. Outside M7, Duke, Ross, Hass the rest are not that good for Consulting.
One thing that concerns me that other than the big companies is : are smaller firms(those who will be hiring at Olin) willing to sponsor H1-B Visa for internationals ? Please reach out to current Olin students and share your information here.

https://poetsandquants.com/2011/11/28/firms-that-hire-the-most-mba-interns/
GMAT Club Bot