Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 11:29 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 11:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V45
GPA: 3.2
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Investment Banking)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V45
GPA: 3.2
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Am I being realistic? Need opinions [#permalink]
Hey there,

My pleasure! Thanks for the additional info - it really helps. Now, let's get into it!

Schools/Goals: Consulting is a great path and it's good that you already have some experiences you could speak to from college. It helps with the "why a career change" question inherent for career changers. If that's your goal, I will say this about your school selection: most are either not the best choices for consulting OR feed specific service lines within the top firms. For example, Owen is a fantastic program but a lot of firms hire there for their operations practices.

If your goal is general based consulting, then you really need to look at schools that feed that. Here are some thoughts are stretch, aligned, and safety programs for you:

Stretch: Columbia, Tuck
Aligned: Duke, Ross, Cornell
Safety: UNC, Emory, McCombs

Overall, you want to focus on schools that provide a solid general management curriculum along with the opportunity to become involved in consulting-esque projects either through class exercises or within extracurriculars. Keep in mind, Tuck and Columbia are both competitive programs but if you don't try, you won't know! I think anything 6 and above is going to be quite stretch for you so I haven't included them but if you want to throw a hail mary at a Booth or Kellogg and have the time, go for it!

Work Experience:Don't worry too much about your career progression - that can easily be highlighted through the right story and messaging. The fact that you have that trajectory is something we can work with. Your age may be a sticking point with some of the higher ranked program so please be aware of that. I don't want to mislead you on that point but you still have the work experience so it should mitigate that. Most people at your age are at a disadvantage because they only have a year or two of experience. You graduated early so kudos! And the fact that your last job position has name recognition and pedigree is a plus.

Community Involvement: You're good here. It shows you give back and that you make an impact. Once again, it comes down to story as to "why" you do these things and what that means going forward but there's good stuff to work with here!

I hope this helps. The programs I suggested are not only programs who place into consulting, but also those that will help you be successful IN consulting.

Let me know if you have any questions or comments!

Bhavik
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
CriticalSquareMBA wrote:
Hey there,

My pleasure! Thanks for the additional info - it really helps. Now, let's get into it!

Schools/Goals: Consulting is a great path and it's good that you already have some experiences you could speak to from college. It helps with the "why a career change" question inherent for career changers. If that's your goal, I will say this about your school selection: most are either not the best choices for consulting OR feed specific service lines within the top firms. For example, Owen is a fantastic program but a lot of firms hire there for their operations practices.

If your goal is general based consulting, then you really need to look at schools that feed that. Here are some thoughts are stretch, aligned, and safety programs for you:

Stretch: Columbia, Tuck
Aligned: Duke, Ross, Cornell
Safety: UNC, Emory, McCombs

Overall, you want to focus on schools that provide a solid general management curriculum along with the opportunity to become involved in consulting-esque projects either through class exercises or within extracurriculars. Keep in mind, Tuck and Columbia are both competitive programs but if you don't try, you won't know! I think anything 6 and above is going to be quite stretch for you so I haven't included them but if you want to throw a hail mary at a Booth or Kellogg and have the time, go for it!

Work Experience:Don't worry too much about your career progression - that can easily be highlighted through the right story and messaging. The fact that you have that trajectory is something we can work with. Your age may be a sticking point with some of the higher ranked program so please be aware of that. I don't want to mislead you on that point but you still have the work experience so it should mitigate that. Most people at your age are at a disadvantage because they only have a year or two of experience. You graduated early so kudos! And the fact that your last job position has name recognition and pedigree is a plus.

Community Involvement: You're good here. It shows you give back and that you make an impact. Once again, it comes down to story as to "why" you do these things and what that means going forward but there's good stuff to work with here!

I hope this helps. The programs I suggested are not only programs who place into consulting, but also those that will help you be successful IN consulting.

Let me know if you have any questions or comments!

Bhavik

to add to that, part-time programs should be off your list if you're making the change to consulting (esp. Stern's). otherwise, i think the aforementioned list is a good one although u shld probably seek out a consultant if you're aiming for top tier. and even then it may be difficult given the competitiveness
Send PM
Thanks old1442 - I didn't explicitly call that out but it's important to note!

@dthollow - I discounted Stern's PT program early on and didn't add any part time programs for that exact reason! Changing careers is difficult enough and to utilize an MBA to do so you really need the benefits of a full time program. The extracurriculars, internship, and experiential learning experiences will be critical in building your resume as you apply to consulting firms!

Bhavik
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [2]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Kudos
Hey dthollow,
I didn't have a strong ug GPA(3.3), similar reasons (although did well in calc/stats) and have the same GMAT score and breakdown. I think since you’ve passed the series 7 and the others, MBA programs will trust your quantitative ability.

I got into Johnson, WL at Duke (withdrew a little bit ago) and Dinged at Tuck. I think with your profile top 15s are totally within grasp, its worth taking a flyer on a top 10, and top 20s should be in there in case. I agree with the schools suggested by critical, although CSB may be a bit out of reach, but if you're applying to 5+ its worth trying.

Anyway, I feel I got in due to showing the type of impact I had during my professional career, and how my experiences and passions truly aligned with my post MBA goals and the culture of those schools.

Since you are only 23, why do you feel this is the right time to pursue an MBA? You may be better served putting a bit more time in at your current role(and a bit more time between you and that GPA)... If you are ready to apply this year, but wouldn’t mind waiting another year if it doesn’t work out, try for a few reaches and maybe 1 match, you may get lucky... If not, you'll be better prepared for next year.

If you have any questions about the app process for Johnson, Fuqua, or Tuck, or any program specific questions about Johnson feel free to reach out.
Good Luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi Forum Members! I am a SEO Professional and joined the forum to increase & share my knowledge here. Hope Seniors will welcome me.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts