Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 12:23 It is currently 08 May 2024, 12:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V38
GPA: 3.94
WE:Accounting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73111 [0]
Given Kudos: 18936
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: General Business School Admission Questions [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Moving to a better forum for your question!
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
kalelmanofsteel wrote:
Greetings everyone,
This is my first post here as a member, although I have been coming here on and off to get some information.
I have a few questions and any help would be greatly appreciated.

First of all, my case may be a bit confusing for a lot of people, and my background story is also very interesting:

So, upon the last few days of my high school, I was notified by Universities that I applied to, that I do not fulfill the English language requirements. My high school average was really good and I was going for medical studies. My guidance counselor failed to mention this to me that I require 3 high school english courses (I came to Canada in grade 11 and they did not feel the need to put me in ESL, so I just took grade 11 and 12 english and scored pretty high).

Anyway, I wrote my TOEFL and in the meanwhile, went to a local university that took me in based on exceptional case (but not a very good school). I never wanted to be there so I didn't care much about studies and after my TOEFL score was in, I applied to school in Michigan and got in. But by that time, I had wasted some good amount of time (3 semesters) with below par grades (2.0 GPA)

Once in US, I switched to Electrical Engineering and did not do great in the beginning, but then picked it up and made it to Dean's list twice (3.89 once and 3.57 the second time). I believe my last 2 years average is 3.4 although overall is 3.01

After school, I have been working as a Management Consultant for about 3 years now (in a multi-national management consulting company - mid sized) and have been consulting for major OEMS in Auto and Aviation industries.
Recently, I will be relocating to Montreal for work and was hoping to do my MBA.

I will be getting my PMP certification in January as well.

My question is, what will I require in order to get into a school in Montreal (McGill to be precise). Is my GPA good enough? With that GPA and about 3.5 years of Management Consulting experience (by the time I apply), how much GMAT score will I require?

I can get LoR from Principals in the company, my manager and even a CEO.
Do I need to do anything on top of GMAT?

It really comes down to your GMAT. Your GPA shouldn't be a huge issue if your GMAT is in range (also, adcoms know that engineering programs tend to grade on a much harsher curve, so they will cut you more slack i.e. they know that engineers tend to have lower GPAs than their arts/sci counterparts). Shoot for a high 600s and ideally 700+ for a school like McGill, and you should have no problems getting in given the quality of your work experience. Good luck
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Harvard Club Lecturer
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
City: Los Angeles
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 1998
Send PM
Expert Reply
kalelmanofsteel wrote:
Greetings everyone,
This is my first post here as a member, although I have been coming here on and off to get some information.

First of all, my case may be a bit confusing for a lot of people, and my background story is also very interesting:

So, upon the last few days of my high school, I was notified by Universities that I applied to, that I do not fulfill the English language requirements. My high school average was really good and I was going for medical studies. My guidance counselor failed to mention this to me that I require 3 high school english courses (I came to Canada in grade 11 and they did not feel the need to put me in ESL, so I just took grade 11 and 12 english and scored pretty high).

Anyway, I wrote my TOEFL and in the meanwhile, went to a local university that took me in based on exceptional case (but not a very good school). I never wanted to be there so I didn't care much about studies and after my TOEFL score was in, I applied to school in Michigan and got in. But by that time, I had wasted some good amount of time (3 semesters) with below par grades (2.0 GPA)

Once in US, I switched to Electrical Engineering and did not do great in the beginning, but then picked it up and made it to Dean's list twice (3.89 once and 3.57 the second time). I believe my last 2 years average is 3.4 although overall is 3.01

After school, I have been working as a Management Consultant for about 3 years now (in a multi-national management consulting company - mid sized) and have been consulting for major OEMS in Auto and Aviation industries.
Recently, I will be relocating to Montreal for work and was hoping to do my MBA.

My question is, what will I require in order to get into a school in Montreal (McGill to be precise). Is my GPA good enough? With that GPA and about 3.5 years of Management Consulting experience (by the time I apply), how much GMAT score will I require?

Good job turning around your GPA and that trend can help. I am bullish on your chances if you can get over their average gmat of 670. It is a small class, which brings profile overlap into play, but with some great essays you have a good shot! I love Montreal, and it would be a great place to go to school.
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2064 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
kalelmanofsteel wrote:
Greetings everyone,

Things look pretty good for you I'd say. You come from consulting, their selectivity is 31% ( so not all that hard and if you come from a great industry as you do, even easier). All you gotta do is write some amazing essays and then also score 670+ on your GMAT! Not too shabby...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you everyone. This is all really helpful. I actually got so busy with work that I put my MBA plans on hold. I am back again, and would like to start my GMAT study. Now I have more than 4 years of experience, so I will keep my fingers crossed
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2064 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
kalelmanofsteel wrote:
Thank you everyone. This is all really helpful. I actually got so busy with work that I put my MBA plans on hold. I am back again, and would like to start my GMAT study. Now I have more than 4 years of experience, so I will keep my fingers crossed

Welcome back good sir! Four years later... no doubt.

Ace that GMAT!!!
GMAT Club Bot