Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 16:57 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 16:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.28
WE:Other (Computer Software)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation Indian IT Male. [#permalink]
We need your GMAT breakdown.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
essaysnark wrote:
We need your GMAT breakdown.

Ohh Sorry... it is 48Q, 40V
Send PM
OK, here's what we think: If you're up for it, you should take the GMAT again to get your quant up. Your verbal is great, and you technically could apply with this GMAT - but we think you can do better. You didn't answer our question on how many times you've tested so we're assuming you only did it once. And if you test again then you'll be able to present an IR score as well, which can only add value to your profile (the IR is not mandatory but it helps the adcom when you have it).

Your college record is almost definitely better than a 3.2 GPA equivalent. Where did you get that figure from? If it was officially converted by WES then we'll go with it but if it's a number you came up with yourself, we're skeptical. Isn't a 69% from Delhi near the top of your class? If so you would be more like at 3.6 at least (don't quote us on that we're just throwing out a number here). Regardless, University of Delhi is a good school, and engineering is a challenging subject.

Because you apparently did well in college then we would think you could do better on the GMAT - and that can open doors for you.

Your work experience looks like it might be more challenging - not impossible but a bit tricky if you haven't had a chance for big leadership projects. We have definitely see people like that present their background in a way that shows the adcom why they need an MBA and what they would bring to the classroom - we just had a series of posts from one recent Success Story on the EssaySnark blahg that you may find inspiring.

With a higher GMAT score then more doors could be open to you. A high score doesn't guarantee you'll get in but a low(er) score will keep you out - and you're quite a bit below the average of 720 for Indian candidates who are accepted to the best schools.

The schools you've listed are good schools so if those make sense for you, given your goals, then you should go for it. But we're still early enough in the season that you may want to consider your options. It sounds like you're a little bit younger too which is another reason that you may want to take the time to do things right - it's always easier to get in the first time through.

We can't suggest other schools since that's a very complicated question and you never even mentioned why you want an MBA; it would be professionally irresponsible to start throwing out names when we don't know enough about you or your career goals.

Hopefully the info we have offered is useful. If you have follow-ups or we can help further please let us know.

EssaySnark
Intern
Intern
Send PM
essaysnark wrote:
OK, here's what we think: If you're up for it, you should take the GMAT again to get your quant up. Your verbal is great, and you technically could apply with this GMAT - but we think you can do better. You didn't answer our question on how many times you've tested so we're assuming you only did it once. And if you test again then you'll be able to present an IR score as well, which can only add value to your profile (the IR is not mandatory but it helps the adcom when you have it).

Your college record is almost definitely better than a 3.2 GPA equivalent. Where did you get that figure from? If it was officially converted by WES then we'll go with it but if it's a number you came up with yourself, we're skeptical. Isn't a 69% from Delhi near the top of your class? If so you would be more like at 3.6 at least (don't quote us on that we're just throwing out a number here). Regardless, University of Delhi is a good school, and engineering is a challenging subject.

Because you apparently did well in college then we would think you could do better on the GMAT - and that can open doors for you.

I totally agree. I have made up my mind for taking GMAT again again i thought i should give it a go after admissions this year and i am not able tto spare much for last couple of months due to some engagements. I have been consistently scoring 50 in my GMAT mocks and i realized that i did screw up GMAT Maths in my original GMAT otherwise my score would have been around 740 :(.

Anyways, i will be giving GMAT may be later this year but i seriously think i am getting old :P and need to move ahead in my career.

essaysnark wrote:
Your work experience looks like it might be more challenging - not impossible but a bit tricky if you haven't had a chance for big leadership projects. We have definitely see people like that present their background in a way that shows the adcom why they need an MBA and what they would bring to the classroom - we just had a series of posts from one recent Success Story on the EssaySnark blahg that you may find inspiring.

With a higher GMAT score then more doors could be open to you. A high score doesn't guarantee you'll get in but a low(er) score will keep you out - and you're quite a bit below the average of 720 for Indian candidates who are accepted to the best schools.

The schools you've listed are good schools so if those make sense for you, given your goals, then you should go for it. But we're still early enough in the season that you may want to consider your options. It sounds like you're a little bit younger too which is another reason that you may want to take the time to do things right - it's always easier to get in the first time through.

We can't suggest other schools since that's a very complicated question and you never even mentioned why you want an MBA; it would be professionally irresponsible to start throwing out names when we don't know enough about you or your career goals.

Hopefully the info we have offered is useful. If you have follow-ups or we can help further please let us know.

EssaySnark

I agree with you what totally said though it seems i was bit over expecting myself. I have had a chance to lead a team of three for an year and i have launchdc a new company which and had got some customers but it is on hold due to some issue. Though it is not as exemplary experience but would it distinguish me from what i have been if i haven't done those things?

Thanks.
Send PM
Great attitude jtnkathuria - awesome to know that you're up for the GMAT again - it really can make a big difference.

jtnkathuria wrote:
I agree with you what totally said though it seems i was bit over expecting myself. I have had a chance to lead a team of three for an year and i have launchdc a new company which and had got some customers but it is on hold due to some issue. Though it is not as exemplary experience but would it distinguish me from what i have been if i haven't done those things?

Yes. Both of these experiences are going to add value to your profile. You'll need to work hard on how you communicate these projects to the adcom - having started a business can be a nice add-on to a profile but if the business never really got off the ground then maybe it doesn't contribute much (we don't know the full story on this but it could actually be a little difficult to present it well given how short the darned essays are this year). Also a surprising number of people have done something similar so on its own, it doesn't help you stand out that much. It's good that you have it but it all comes down to how it's communicated.

As you think about what you want to tell the adcoms, then consider what each example will be able to relay to them - what do you want them to know about you based on it? Since you have some long-term interest in entrepreneurship then it definitely makes sense to highlight your existing experience, even if it wasn't hugely successful - it still shows that you have done something entrepreneurial and that's actually quite critical to making a believable pitch.

Keep us posted - you still have some time to get all these pieces in place and you have the right attitude about it which is perhaps the most important of all.

EssaySnark
Intern
Intern
Send PM
essaysnark wrote:
Great attitude jtnkathuria - awesome to know that you're up for the GMAT again - it really can make a big difference.

jtnkathuria wrote:

Yes. Both of these experiences are going to add value to your profile. You'll need to work hard on how you communicate these projects to the adcom - having started a business can be a nice add-on to a profile but if the business never really got off the ground then maybe it doesn't contribute much (we don't know the full story on this but it could actually be a little difficult to present it well given how short the darned essays are this year). Also a surprising number of people have done something similar so on its own, it doesn't help you stand out that much. It's good that you have it but it all comes down to how it's communicated.

As you think about what you want to tell the adcoms, then consider what each example will be able to relay to them - what do you want them to know about you based on it? Since you have some long-term interest in entrepreneurship then it definitely makes sense to highlight your existing experience, even if it wasn't hugely successful - it still shows that you have done something entrepreneurial and that's actually quite critical to making a believable pitch.

Keep us posted - you still have some time to get all these pieces in place and you have the right attitude about it which is perhaps the most important of all.

EssaySnark

Thanks a lot for your Quick revert and overall evaluation. :) I will keep those points in mind.
GMAT Club Bot