Last visit was: 17 May 2024, 22:52 It is currently 17 May 2024, 22:52
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Darden School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
Re: Booth (Chicago): Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink]
amitkpandey wrote:
I am facing a dilemma here. The application does not specifically ask the question, "Why Booth"? Any advice on where to highlight this aspect..!! I am thinking of including some info in the career goals..but 700 characters is just so much..

You're right, the fields in the online app don't allow for a whole lot, and that's probably not the best place to put this - you can include something about your reasons but there's certainly other places in the Booth app where we would imagine that this could come through.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: International Business, Finance
GRE 1: Q162 V167
GPA: 3.71
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Got my sweet ding yesterday (an apology letter really...the adcom wrote: [Thank you for your application to the Full-Time MBA Program and for the commitment you have shown to Chicago Booth by choosing to remain on our waitlist. During the past several weeks, there has been very little movement on the waitlist, as the class has consistently remained at or near capacity. Given that Orientation begins in early September, it is unlikely that we will be admitting any additional students to the Class of 2015. Therefore, it is with great regret that we inform you that we are unable to offer you admission to Chicago Booth this year....)]

So, in for round 1, 2016!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Does anyone have stats on what percentage of admits come from R1 vs R2 at Booth? I'm pressed for time to make the R1 deadline since I need to retake my GMAT
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
creatingit wrote:
Does anyone have stats on what percentage of admits come from R1 vs R2 at Booth? I'm pressed for time to make the R1 deadline since I need to retake my GMAT

Not sure about the percentage breakdown, but if you're pressed for time and cannot complete your best application in time for R1, you should do R2. Submitting a better application in R2 is better than submitting a sub-par application in R1.
Send PM
MBAUnderDOG wrote:
creatingit wrote:

Not sure about the percentage breakdown, but if you're pressed for time and cannot complete your best application in time for R1, you should do R2. Submitting a better application in R2 is better than submitting a sub-par application in R1.
Yes... And... Round 1 is always better, PARTICULARLY if someone is in the oversubscribed applicant pools. MBAUnderDOG speaks truth, a stronger app in a later round is preferable... but a stronger app in Round 1 is ALWAYS the best bet. It's a day shy of August, technically there's still time to do it all (maybe just barely, but there is!).

Not to put more pressure on or anything. :-)

And all that being said: Booth is a program where a Round 2 app can still work out. But we don't want to let everyone off the hook and say that the rounds are equivalent, since they're not - and lots of people procrastinate all the way till the last minute and then life gets ugly in December. Our best advice is, do what you can to make it happen now, for R1, and if you just can't pull it off, then make the judgment call later - like end of September - whether to push out.

EssaySnark
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
WE:Engineering (Health Care)
Send PM
creatingit wrote:

Second the others. If you can't crank out a stellar application in R1, go for R2. But at least start on your essays and get to draft 2. Give your thoughts time to mature.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Are there any reapplicants here ? I applied R2 last year and was dinged after an interview ! How dampning it is to be a reapplicant and apply in r2 instead of r1? I somehow think i would be able to rush in a much better app in r2 as some of the work i am doing right now would be showing results by then ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
A couple quick application-related questions:

1) They ask for a "description" after asking for the company website when you are populating your experience information. Does that mean a description of the company, a description of your job function, or both?

2) They also ask about "Spouse/SO" information. The options include married, single, domestic partner, and unspecified. I am currently engaged and will be married prior to matriculation. I am unsure what I should fill out. Engaged is not an option in the drop-down. Do I include my fiancé's information or leave it blank all together?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GPA: 3.51
Send PM
Physics wrote:

2) They also ask about "Spouse/SO" information. The options include married, single, domestic partner, and unspecified. I am currently engaged and will be married prior to matriculation. I am unsure what I should fill out. Engaged is not an option in the drop-down. Do I include my fiancé's information or leave it blank all together?

Thanks!

I've asked that question before too and the three schools where I've asked that question all have said put down single. I just added it to my resume in the "about me" section that I'm engaged, plus it takes up one of my slides in my "about me" presentation so the admission committee definitely knows I'm engaged :lol:

Of course, I sent in my application last week and if the admission committee vilifies me for not only taking the GRE instead of the GMAT but also because I didn't put down my fiancee as "unspecified", I'll let you know.
Send PM
GREnade wrote:
Physics wrote:

Thanks!

I've asked that question before too and the three schools where I've asked that question all have said put down single. I just added it to my resume in the "about me" section that I'm engaged, plus it takes up one of my slides in my "about me" presentation so the admission committee definitely knows I'm engaged :lol:

Of course, I sent in my application last week and if the admission committee vilifies me for not only taking the GRE instead of the GMAT but also because I didn't put down my fiancee as "unspecified", I'll let you know.

The schools actually want to know you're engaged and a few of them even have an option in this question that says "will be married before matriculating" or something; this is a common situation. You should ask Booth specifically - please do NOT put single. We would be very surprised if that's what they want. If you are living together then you could choose "domestic partner". Even "unspecified" is better than "single"; "single" is misleading and inaccurate (and how would your fiance feel if s/he knew that's how you answered!!! :lol: ).

Also marital status does not go on an American resume; in the U.S. there are anti-discrimination laws that apply and it's not appropriate for anyone to ask about it. It's not relevant and it shouldn't be there. It could go in the PPT but nothing that's so personal should ever be on the resume.

EssaySnark
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.25
Send PM
Kudos
essaysnark wrote:
GREnade wrote:
Physics wrote:

Thanks!

The schools actually want to know you're engaged and a few of them even have an option in this question that says "will be married before matriculating" or something; this is a common situation. You should ask Booth specifically - please do NOT put single. We would be very surprised if that's what they want. If you are living together then you could choose "domestic partner". Even "unspecified" is better than "single"; "single" is misleading and inaccurate (and how would your fiance feel if s/he knew that's how you answered!!! :lol: ).

Also marital status does not go on an American resume; in the U.S. there are anti-discrimination laws that apply and it's not appropriate for anyone to ask about it. It's not relevant and it shouldn't be there. It could go in the PPT but nothing that's so personal should ever be on the resume.

EssaySnark

The reason Booth wants to know is because if you are admitted, they also send a letter to your partner welcoming them to the Booth family. Just put that you have a partner and their name. At the end of the day, you won't be admitted or dinged based on this answer.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Anyone using the optional essay for a non-negative (not bombing gpa/gmat etc.) reason?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [1]
Given Kudos: 105
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Kudos
jumsumtak wrote:
Anyone using the optional essay for a non-negative (not bombing gpa/gmat etc.) reason?

I would say probably not a good call to write anything unless it's astonishing. Bearing in mind the Booth essay/presentation is already open-ended, anything that you may have put in the optional could have gone into the essay/presentation if it was that important.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
WE:Analyst (Health Care)
Send PM
Re-applicant for round one full-time program here. Anyone using one or two or the recommenders from their last application? I'm considering using now new one and my current supervisor again. Will using the same recommender hurt my application?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Crystal01 wrote:
Re-applicant for round one full-time program here. Anyone using one or two or the recommenders from their last application? I'm considering using now new one and my current supervisor again. Will using the same recommender hurt my application?

I'll be using the same two as last time. They mention on the website that it's fine to use the same ones. Pick those that will give you the best recommendations.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello guys,

How long would you recommend to wait before re-aplying?

Does it makes sense to reapply for R1 if dinged after interview in R2 last year or is it too early? (I believe my application is stronger since i have been promoted recently)

Thanks in advance!
Send PM
Bytran wrote:
Hello guys,

How long would you recommend to wait before re-aplying?

Does it makes sense to reapply for R1 if dinged after interview in R2 last year or is it too early? (I believe my application is stronger since i have been promoted recently)

Thanks in advance!
A Rd 1 app sends a strong signal that you are motivated, that you've got your act together, and that Booth is a first choice. We always recommend Rd 1 for reapplicants. A promotion does help show improvement to the profile, and Booth is reapplicant-friendly.

Good luck with it!

EssaySnark
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5  ...  71   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6929 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts