Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 05:28 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 05:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V32
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Send PM
Re: Debrief - 720 (Q48 V41). [#permalink]
@ sumeetkarora, I cannot agree with you more. It is so important to follow this process. I remember during my prep while I was still working on SC accuracy, whenever I would skip a step or two in this process, I would get that question wrong.

-Ram
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V32
Send PM
Thanx again...I am planning to give GMAT in October...hopefully within these 4 months I will be able to improve it..

sumeetkarora wrote:
Unless you have a lot of time to spend, I would suggest staying away from multiple sources and those lengthly notes for SC/grammer concepts. Following are the steps I used to solve SC questions:

[*] First and Most important step is to understand the meaning. Sometimes you may have to read the sentence without modifiers and adjectives to understand the true meaning.
[*] Look for parallelism, Verb, Tense errors in the original sentence
[*] Look for other misc. errors
[*] Eliminate the incorrect answer choices one by one

What I felt during the exam and during the mocks was that knowing the meaning of the sentence really helps arriving at the correct answer choice. Keep in mind that in real GMAT, most of the difficult SC questions will have more than one grammatically correct answer choice and you will be able to select the correct answer only if you know the meaning of the sentence.

Good thing is that most of the difficult questions have multiple errors and that makes it easier to solve those questions.

Reetabrata Ghosh wrote:
sumeetkarora wrote:
Date: 4-May-2013
Result: 720 (Q48 V41)

Congratulations....and thanks for the details..would be greatly helped if you could elaborate more on the strategies regarding SC taken by you..and what are the pros and cons of those strategies, you felt, while giving the actual gmat exam?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 140 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Congratulations on your great score and all the best for applications! God Bless! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 602 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
sumeetkarora wrote:
Unless you have a lot of time to spend, I would suggest staying away from multiple sources and those lengthly notes for SC/grammer concepts. Following are the steps I used to solve SC questions:

[*] First and Most important step is to understand the meaning. Sometimes you may have to read the sentence without modifiers and adjectives to understand the true meaning.
[*] Look for parallelism, Verb, Tense errors in the original sentence
[*] Look for other misc. errors
[*] Eliminate the incorrect answer choices one by one

What I felt during the exam and during the mocks was that knowing the meaning of the sentence really helps arriving at the correct answer choice. Keep in mind that in real GMAT, most of the difficult SC questions will have more than one grammatically correct answer choice and you will be able to select the correct answer only if you know the meaning of the sentence.

Good thing is that most of the difficult questions have multiple errors and that makes it easier to solve those questions.

Congratulations Sumeet...How did you come up with this method of solving SC questions? I actually spent last 1 week on SC and I automatically started with the underlined portion and the answer choices But your method seems good. actually i will try anything that will get me to mark corect answers. Do share your secret Sumeet.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Send PM
If you focus only on the underlined portion of the sentence, you are going to be in big trouble while solving questions of even medium difficulty. A lot of times the underlined portion is a correct entity in itself but does not go well when placed in a complete sentence. Unless you read the entire sentence, dissect it, and understand the intended meaning you can not really fix the sentence.

jeelezaraa wrote:
Congratulations Sumeet...How did you come up with this method of solving SC questions? I actually spent last 1 week on SC and I automatically started with the underlined portion and the answer choices But your method seems good. actually i will try anything that will get me to mark corect answers. Do share your secret Sumeet.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hey congrats bro
I don't have much issues with quant but verbal is too tuff for me
One thing I want to ask that are real gmat rc questions are of same difficulty level as that of OG???
Nd same question for quant while comparing it with gmat prep software questions

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Please shed some light on the incorrect type answer choices in RC and if possible please put on a brief on how to handle RC with the concepts you followed.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Congrats Sumeet. Some very helpful verbal tips.
Best of luck for your apps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
MGMAT Mock Test [#permalink]
Where I can find online MGMAT Mock test ? Is it free?
GMAT Club Bot
MGMAT Mock Test [#permalink]
   1   2 
Moderator:
Founder
37320 posts