Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 08:22 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 08:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4421 [85]
Given Kudos: 325
Concentration: Technology, Other
GPA: 2.44
WE:Project Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29952 [20]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1038 [9]
Given Kudos: 102
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [7]
Given Kudos: 18
Schools: ISB '15
WE:Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: What is the area of a triangle created by the intersections [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Using the equations provided, we could find the three vertices of the triangle as:

(4,5), (20,5) and (4,17) ( vertices (20,5) and (4,17) could be deducted by substituating x=4 and Y =5 respectively into the equation)

Now, the Area of the Triangle will be = 1/2 * ( 20-4) *(17-5)
=96

Hence, the answer is

/SW
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Hello Asif,

Your visual representation helps big time in this instance, but your picture is very unproportional and definitely not "drawn to scale." For example, look at the difference shown between x= 0, x = 4, and x =20. That's why it's really hard to "visualize" the triangle we are trying to solve for in your diagram. The triangle should be much bigger (not small like you have pictured). The math is obviously the same, but I'm just nit picking on your drawing, sorry! lol :)

The one thing that I don't understand is where you got 3x + 4y = 80 from. Can you please explain? If you substitute the points they provided in the problem (x=4, y=5), you would get 32=80, which is obviously incorrect so the equation for this line does not make sense.

Thanks,

~ Im2bz2p345 :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1038 [0]
Send PM
Im2bz2p345 wrote:
Hello Asif,

Your visual representation helps big time in this instance, but your picture is very unproportional and definitely not "drawn to scale." For example, look at the difference shown between x= 0, x = 4, and x =20. That's why it's really hard to "visualize" the triangle we are trying to solve for in your diagram. The triangle should be much bigger (not small like you have pictured). The math is obviously the same, but I'm just nit picking on your drawing, sorry! lol :)

The one thing that I don't understand is where you got 3x + 4y = 80 from. Can you please explain? If you substitute the points they provided in the problem (x=4, y=5), you would get 32=80, which is obviously incorrect so the equation for this line does not make sense.

Thanks,

1st of all you have to know about patterns of gmat questions.
Not drawn to scale is the format gmat uses 95%.

And here is no need to draw according to scale ,because gmat will not provide us graph paper. All we have to do is evaluate the the base and perpendicular. thats it. no one will bestow you more marks for your large drawings, you have to do fast thats it. :-D

The one thing that I don't understand is where you got 3x + 4y = 80 from. Can you please explain? If you substitute the points they provided in the problem (x=4, y=5), you would get 32=80, which is obviously incorrect so the equation for this line does not make sense. - for this:

if three lines pass through one same point then they are unable to form a triangle. but you are insisting on that. x=4 and y=5 both values will never satisfies 3x+4y = 80, because all three lines didn't pass through one common point here.

y= -3/4 x + 20
or, 4y = -3x + 80
or, 3x+4y = 80 (got it where it came from ??? :) )

You need to work on basic concepts. Go through some math foundation gmat books.
Any question? :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Asifpirlo wrote:

And here is no need to draw according to scale ,because gmat will not provide us graph paper. All we have to do is evaluate the the base and perpendicular. thats it. no one will bestow you more marks for your large drawings, you have to do fast thats it. :-D

The one thing that I don't understand is where you got 3x + 4y = 80 from. Can you please explain? If you substitute the points they provided in the problem (x=4, y=5), you would get 32=80, which is obviously incorrect so the equation for this line does not make sense. - for this:

if three lines pass through one same point then they are unable to form a triangle. but you are insisting on that. x=4 and y=5 both values will never satisfies 3x+4y = 80, because all three lines didn't pass through one common point here.

y= -3/4 x + 20
or, 4y = -3x + 80

Thank you for the response Asif! I agree with your point that drawing to scale is not important on the GMAT exam.. but we are not in an exam center right now ;) Hence, I thought for explaining the problem, it might have been useful to show points more accurately - similar to how I expect the OG13 answers to be shown accurately in their book's explanations. This just my preference and opinion, obviously you disagree and think it's important to "go fast" even when explaining things to others. Although, like I said earlier: not drawing to scale doesn't change anything about the question or method to solving the problem.

gmat will not provide us graph paper

They actually do give you graph "paper!" Here is a picture of the scratch pad used for the actual exam with a graph drawn for you as well (https://www.afewgoodminds.com/wp-content ... 00x150.jpg). As you stated though, I'd rather draw fast and move on quickly if I know how to solve the question.

Thanks for explaining your manipulation of the y-intercept form equation provided in the original question. Not sure why you didn't label the line with how it is stated in the original problem, but the y-intercept is supposed to 20 and it looks like the line is crossing more at y=10 (since it's about double the y=5 distance). This is why I asked.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. All the best my friend!

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1038 [0]
Send PM
Im2bz2p345 wrote:
Asifpirlo wrote:

y= -3/4 x + 20
or, 4y = -3x + 80

Thank you for the response Asif! I agree with your point that drawing to scale is not important on the GMAT exam.. but we are not in an exam center right now ;) Hence, I thought for explaining the problem, it might have been useful to show points more accurately - similar to how I expect the OG13 answers to be shown accurately in their book's explanations. This just my preference and opinion, obviously you disagree and think it's important to "go fast" even when explaining things to others. Although, like I said earlier: not drawing to scale doesn't change anything about the question or method to solving the problem.

gmat will not provide us graph paper

They actually do give you graph "paper!" Here is a picture of the scratch pad used for the actual exam with a graph drawn for you as well (https://www.afewgoodminds.com/wp-content ... 00x150.jpg). As you stated though, I'd rather draw fast and move on quickly if I know how to solve the question.

Thanks for explaining your manipulation of the y-intercept form equation provided in the original question. Not sure why you didn't label the line with how it is stated in the original problem, but the y-intercept is supposed to 20 and it looks like the line is crossing more at y=10 (since it's about double the y=5 distance). This is why I asked.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. All the best my friend!

hmmmm right my friend.....
this diagram is for concepts but not for practical uses... that's why i did so.
You know one thing, the way we practice finally we have to perform just in that way.... :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [3]
Given Kudos: 167
Schools: Yale '18
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V37
GRE 1: Q157 V158
GPA: 2.66
Send PM
Kudos