Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 05:10 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 05:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: American Management association, American Association of financial accountants
Own Kudos [?]: 1850 [12]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: finance and international business
Schools:Columbia university
 Q18  V17 GMAT 2: 320  Q18  V19 GMAT 3: 620  Q42  V33
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619611 [3]
Given Kudos: 81613
Send PM
Re: The first flight out of Phoenix airport had a late departure [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
manalq8 wrote:
The first flight out of Phoenix airport had a late departure. If the next three flights departed on-time, how many subsequent flights need to depart from Phoenix on-time, for the airport's on-time departure rate to be higher than 90%?

A. 6
B. 7
C. 9
D. 10
E. 11

I will see what is the quickest way to solve it then I will provide the explanation

The following approach might be the easiest one and less error prone.

We need on-time departure rate to be higher than 9/10, so it should be at least 10/11, which means that 10 out of 11 flights must depart on time. Since for now 3 out of 4 flights departed on time then 10-3=7 subsequent flights need to depart on-time.

Answer: B.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 118
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-27-2013
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
manalq8 wrote:
The first flight out of Phoenix airport had a late departure. If the next three flights departed on-time, how many subsequent flights need to depart from Phoenix on-time, for the airport's on-time departure rate to be higher than 90%?

A. 6
B. 7
C. 9
D. 10
E. 11

I will see what is the quickest way to solve it then I will provide the explanation

We need on-time departure rate to be higher than 9/10, so it should be at least 10/11, which means that 10 out of 11 flights must depart on time. Since for now 3 out of 4 flights departed on time then 10-3=7 subsequent flights need to depart on-time.

one flight was already late & 3 flight were on time departure so now to have a on-time departure rate to be higher than 9/10,

3 on time + 6 yet to be on time = 9 on time. total of 10, 9 on time but it not higher than 9/10 so so we went for 7 by considering 10/11?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619611 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
FTG wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
manalq8 wrote:

A. 6
B. 7
C. 9
D. 10
E. 11

one flight was already late & 3 flight were on time departure so now to have a on-time departure rate to be higher than 9/10,

3 on time + 6 yet to be on time = 9 on time. total of 10, 9 on time but it not higher than 9/10 so so we went for 7 by considering 10/11?

Yes, you can say so.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 570 Q46 V24
Send PM
how did you calculate 10/11?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2393 [0]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
manalq8 wrote:

A. 6
B. 7
C. 9
D. 10
E. 11

3+x/4+x >9/10
x>6

Hence B is our best choice

Cheers!
J :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
theGame001 wrote:
how did you calculate 10/11?

here is my approach to this question.
Let the total number of flights be 'x'. On time departure rate should be more than 90%.
it is said that 1 flight is late.... so out of x flights is 1 flight is late remaining (x-1) flights will be on-time...
so \(\frac{(x-1)}{x}*100=90\)
solving for x we get 10...... but remember we want on-time departure rate to be more than 90%, not exactly 90%..... so minimum number of flights to take off is 11.....
since first one is late and remaining 3 left so the next 7 flights should also be on-time..... So answer is 7...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Marketing, Nonprofit
GPA: 3.7
WE:Marketing (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
I agree with the short-cut proposed by bb. However, the method requires the sensibility in math, and I do not like it. The other easy way is to test each answer, and start with A, then B,...
I think the question asks about the minimum subsequent flights; otherwise, answer can be infinite.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619611 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
manalq8 wrote:
The first flight out of Phoenix airport had a late departure. If the next three flights departed on-time, minimum how many subsequent flights need to depart from Phoenix on-time, for the airport's on-time departure rate to be higher than 90%?

A. 6
B. 7
C. 9
D. 10
E. 11

Official Solution:

On a certain day, the first flight out of Phoenix airport had a delayed departure, while the next three flights departed on-time. What is the minimum number of subsequent flights that must depart from Phoenix on-time, to achieve an on-time departure rate of over 90% that day?

A. 6
B. 7
C. 9
D. 10
E. 11

We want an on-time departure rate of over 90%, which means a delayed departure rate of less than 10%. Since we need the minimum number of subsequent flights that will make (delayed)/(total) less than 10%, then the one that was already delayed should be the only one.

Let \(x\) be the minimum number of subsequent flights that must depart on-time to achieve this. Then, the delayed departure rate is \(\frac{1}{x + 4} \), since there are already 4 flights, including the first delayed one. We want this rate to be less than 10%, so we have the inequality \(\frac{1}{x + 4} < \frac{1}{10}\). Solving for \(x\), we get x > 6. Therefore, the minimum number of subsequent flights that must depart on-time is 7.

Answer: B
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92964 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts