Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 15:11 It is currently 07 May 2024, 15:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: CBS (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.41
WE:Corporate Finance (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2064 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Admissionado
Send PM
Re: Profile evaluation (EMBA/PT MBA) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Well 10k is 10k! :)

I mean you can buy a whole lot of socks with that. And even if it is little it still is some support, so use it as best you can.

Best of luck,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Must agree. I can buy a lot of Skittles with $ 10k as well!

Another quick question. While my Ugrad GPA is not bad, I have few dings on two major-related courses: F on Business writing (Junior level), which was successfully retaken with B+ on following semester and D+ on Auditing (Senior/Grad level) on final semester. The issue was primarily my English level at that time for both. Even worse for Business writing was that there was a misunderstanding with the instructor who was supposed to withdraw the course for me, instead of giving me an F. Should I prepare an optional essay to elaborate in this regard? If I were to write it, I am going to reassure how much I have tried to overcome my limit since then and succeeded so far by providing recognizable achievements, like no communication issue at work (in fact, my manager sees my communication skill of understanding audience and providing proper feedback as one of my strongest strengths), passed Audit section of CPA exam, etc etc.

But on the other hand, I shouldn't even bring it up and cross my fingers AdCom wouldn't care about my Ugrad degree from 7 years ago. What should I do!!
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
kdkpsj wrote:
Must agree. I can buy a lot of Skittles with $ 10k as well!

Another quick question. While my Ugrad GPA is not bad, I have few dings on two major-related courses: F on Business writing (Junior level), which was successfully retaken with B+ on following semester and D+ on Auditing (Senior/Grad level) on final semester. The issue was primarily my English level at that time for both. Even worse for Business writing was that there was a misunderstanding with the instructor who was supposed to withdraw the course for me, instead of giving me an F. Should I prepare an optional essay to elaborate in this regard? If I were to write it, I am going to reassure how much I have tried to overcome my limit since then and succeeded so far by providing recognizable achievements, like no communication issue at work (in fact, my manager sees my communication skill of understanding audience and providing proper feedback as one of my strongest strengths), passed Audit section of CPA exam, etc etc.

But on the other hand, I shouldn't even bring it up and cross my fingers AdCom wouldn't care about my Ugrad degree from 7 years ago. What should I do!!

Skip it man. You have a good GPA, why would you bring your attention to one bad course? They won't really care about ONE measly little course.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Jon,

As Columbia EMBA ED is about two months away, I modified my career goal a little to fit better with Columbia specifically. Here is updated one, not that different from original though:

- My career goal after MBA is advancing in corporate finance in current industry (retail & luxury goods), then move to brand management area. Reason why I am pursuing Columbia EMBA is that, from my understanding, Columbia has a strong curriculum in this area as well as its NYC location is certainly advantage. Because international consumer is major part of luxury business, my essays will be focusing on my international background (both personal & professional) can be an advantage to the brand management.

Then on a side note, I have an ultimate dream of life. Once I succeed in mega corporation, I am willing to go back to my family business (Japanese restaurant) and start working on its expansion. I want to make it a first professionally managed Japanese restaurant chain with locations nationwide like PF Chang's. My knowledge of overall management skill, especially brand management, from MBA and experience will be very important for my dream. This goad is a bit distant and even unreal to reach, so I am not sure if I should use this as my selling point. On the other hand, I think this is certainly unique one that mixes my root, family and career. Should I utilize this goal?

Thank you!
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
kdkpsj wrote:
Jon,

As Columbia EMBA ED is about two months away, I modified my career goal a little to fit better with Columbia specifically. Here is updated one, not that different from original though:

- My career goal after MBA is advancing in corporate finance in current industry (retail & luxury goods), then move to brand management area. Reason why I am pursuing Columbia EMBA is that, from my understanding, Columbia has a strong curriculum in this area as well as its NYC location is certainly advantage. Because international consumer is major part of luxury business, my essays will be focusing on my international background (both personal & professional) can be an advantage to the brand management.

Then on a side note, I have an ultimate dream of life. Once I succeed in mega corporation, I am willing to go back to my family business (Japanese restaurant) and start working on its expansion. I want to make it a first professionally managed Japanese restaurant chain with locations nationwide like PF Chang's. My knowledge of overall management skill, especially brand management, from MBA and experience will be very important for my dream. This goad is a bit distant and even unreal to reach, so I am not sure if I should use this as my selling point. On the other hand, I think this is certainly unique one that mixes my root, family and career. Should I utilize this goal?

Thank you!

Well the key to your answer I think lies in the words "Once I succeed in a mega corporation".. which makes me think that this restaurant is more of a "Retirement dream" then something you want to do right NOW ( I say this half jokingly). But what I mean is that succeeding in the corporate world will take you at least five ten years, so it's only natural that you will use that as a goal. So brand management in luxury it is.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
JonAdmissionado wrote:
kdkpsj wrote:
Jon,

Thank you!

Well the key to your answer I think lies in the words "Once I succeed in a mega corporation".. which makes me think that this restaurant is more of a "Retirement dream" then something you want to do right NOW ( I say this half jokingly). But what I mean is that succeeding in the corporate world will take you at least five ten years, so it's only natural that you will use that as a goal. So brand management in luxury it is.

That's exactly what I was worried if adcom thinks like that. It's too far away and, technically, I am not directly associated with it right now, even though my current career will help running business of my own later.

How about just briefly mention it in a sentence or two in essay? Or will it be better just completely leave it off?
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
I'd say just leave it off. I mean once you mention it, they you HAVE TO explain it. And once you get into explanations... well then you lost space to write what's more important. So by al means keep this dream int he back of your head for now, but for the career goals in terms of the application, I'd suggest jut sticking with the plan.

Best,
JF
Moderator:
Admissionado
9228 posts