Last visit was: 22 May 2024, 19:58 It is currently 22 May 2024, 19:58
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Healthcare, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.75
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73326 [0]
Given Kudos: 19003
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [1]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
Send PM
Re: Kellogg, Tuck, Fuqua ($) [#permalink]
Kudos
lscannond wrote:

Dartmouth:
- Cons: Remote location makes recruiting more difficult for a career changer, spouse could struggle to find position as Physician Assistant (PA), can be as dreary as Evanston in the winter, apprehensiveness to location in general having never lived in a rural setting.

The bolded part is a bit of a myth. Companies know Tuck and they make the trip. However, given your spouse's employment situation, I'd have to vote for Kellogg. Not sure where your family is, but Chicago O'Hare probably offers the best transportation options in terms of direct flights. Yes Kellogg is bigger, but it's not that much bigger than Duke, so I wouldn't worry about "getting lost" there, since the student body is known for being a great community. Sure the facilities suck, but that's not why you go to B-school.

Congrats, and best of luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools: Duke '15 (M)
Send PM
Awesome position to be in. I'm currently in a first year student at Duke in the Health Sector Management (HSM) program so I'll offer some feedback on my experience so far. I'm assuming that services management in health care means health care administration/provider.

1. Alumni base is top notch. As you said, Duke's HSM program is largest in the country, so we also have lots of alums in the leading health care companies. This definitely helps facilitate networking and recruiting. Duke's health management program started off as a MHA program so we have quite a few alums in hospitals.

2. Duke Hospital Fuqua has a partnership with Duke hospital, and each year a handful of MBA students intern there. From what I've heard from 2nd years, this has been a phenomenal opportunity. Interns work with senior leadership in the hospital, including its CEO.

3. Other experiential opportunities Duke has several opportunity to gain hands on opportunities. In addition to the Duke Hospital internship, there's Fuqua Client Consulting Practicum (FCCP), Program 4 Entrepreneurs (P4E), the Social Entrepreneurship Accelerator at Duke (SEAD). There are a handful of provider opportunities in FCCP, where students complete a real consulting project for an external organization (both US and global). P4E is also relevant to providers as Duke has lots of research output that offers commercialization opportunities. SEAD offers global health experience, many of which are innovations on the provider side.

4. Dedicated resources Duke is one of the programs that has a dedicated health care resources, and health care is embedded in the entire curriculum. Starting with the HSM bootcamp, we have a year long required HSM seminar series that brings in experienced alums who talk about latest health care trends and about their careers. The faculty and electives are amazing and we often have unexpected yet great events at the business and medical school. Having dedicated resources is definitely a plus if you're focused in health care.

I'm sure that any program you choose will be a fantastic choice. Feel free to reach out to me if you have any further questions or if you'd like to connect with a current student who's going into the provider space.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GPA: 4
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
Con grates, All three were best of best. For Healthcare go to Fukua.

Best Luck

:-D
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
It's not often I see a choice as difficult as the one you have laid out. If it were just you, I would probably suggest Tuck or Kellogg (based on fit), but clearly you have to think about your wife, her ability to find a job, and her overall happiness. Based on your goals and the pros/cons you laid out for both schools, I would probably suggest you go with Fuqua (assuming you are reasonably sure you want to be involved in healthcare going forward). For what it's worth, when I visited last year, I heard time and time again that they have a really tight-knit veteran community, too.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
I'd like to thank everyone for offering excellent feedback and insight on my decision. I wanted to drop in and provide an update for everyone. After reviewing everything many times and discussing things with my wife, I have selected Kellogg. While Fuqua has an unmatched healthcare program, Kellogg provides many educational opportunities within this sector while also boasting strong job placement statistics. As I attempt to change careers, there was some uncertainty about whether the Health Sector would be outcome of my business school journey. Due to this, Kellogg's strength in many different sectors also influenced my decision greatly. Finally, my wife is excited to research and pursue her career opportunities in Evanston, and the greater Chicago area. Once again, thank you all so much for helping me reach this decision.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Congrats on the choice. Kellogg is a great school and you will have a blast there!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GPA: 4
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
Hi;

Con grates Kellog a great choice !!!

:-D :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V48
GPA: 3.1
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Good decision, man. I'm liking that new avatar!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 394 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
GMAT 1: 730 Q52 V37
Send PM
lscannond wrote:
I'd like to thank everyone for offering excellent feedback and insight on my decision. I wanted to drop in and provide an update for everyone. After reviewing everything many times and discussing things with my wife, I have selected Kellogg. While Fuqua has an unmatched healthcare program, Kellogg provides many educational opportunities within this sector while also boasting strong job placement statistics. As I attempt to change careers, there was some uncertainty about whether the Health Sector would be outcome of my business school journey. Due to this, Kellogg's strength in many different sectors also influenced my decision greatly. Finally, my wife is excited to research and pursue her career opportunities in Evanston, and the greater Chicago area. Once again, thank you all so much for helping me reach this decision.

Just curious, have you looked into or considered Kellogg's HEMA progarm?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
farful wrote:
Just curious, have you looked into or considered Kellogg's HEMA progarm?

I have reviewed the course offerings for both the Health Enterprise Management (HEMA) major as well as the Special Competency in Health Enterprise Management (SCHEMA) offered at Kellogg. I also chatted with the president of the Healthcare Club at Kellogg about opportunities while in school as well as the available network within the health sector and what job opportunities exist. Kellogg offers a wide variety of courses within the HEMA major and that was a great influence on my decision to pursue Kellogg. Tuck, for example, doesn't offer as wide a variety of healthcare courses as either Kellogg or Fuqua.

The fact remains that Kellogg is still in the conversation of schools that offer a strong healthcare curriculum with the likes of Fuqua, Wharton, Haas, etc. I chose Kellogg, in part, because I appreciate how they keep the healthcare students in the same pool of students as everyone else as opposed to the schools that make a sub-cohort that consists of healthcare students. If you have any questions concerning the program, feel free to reach out.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools: Duke '15 (M)
Send PM
Great choice! Thanks for keeping us updated and best of luck with your MBA journey!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1130 posts