Last visit was: 03 Jun 2024, 18:38 It is currently 03 Jun 2024, 18:38
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [1]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Re: Duke X Darden X Tuck [#permalink]
kingfalcon wrote:

Regarding Johnson, I would argue it is of the same caliber as Fuqua and Darden, but I believe even fewer Johnson students go into consulting.

I wouldn't say fewer students do consulting at Johnson, but fewer definitely land at the coveted MBB than Fuqua. Since you've already got admits from Fuqua and Darden, I'd say it's safe to pick one of those over Johnson w/o any $$.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks for the inputs guys.

One more question: let's say I get dinged by Tuck. Do you think there is any, even if little, advantage to either school, Duke and Darden, regarding recuriting or they are strictly the same and my decision should be based on fit, town environment, and so on?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [2]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
BonzoX85 wrote:

One more question: let's say I get dinged by Tuck. Do you think there is any, even if little, advantage to either school, Duke and Darden, regarding recuriting or they are strictly the same and my decision should be based on fit, town environment, and so on?

I think they're pretty similar, with maybe Darden having a slightly higher reputation (except maybe during basketball season...kidding.)

Here are links to the employment reports for both schools. They may be of help to you.

https://www.darden.virginia.edu/web/recr ... t-reports/

https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/mba_recruitin ... tatistics/
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Ward2012 wrote:
BonzoX85 wrote:

I think they're pretty similar, with maybe Darden having a slightly higher reputation (except maybe during basketball season...kidding.)

Here are links to the employment reports for both schools. They may be of help to you.

Unfortunately Darden does not release the breakdown by company, only by industry. I can't only be sure that MBB recruitment was higher than 2 for each company for the Class of 2013. This is a really tough decision to make, it seemed to me during my visits that the student life around campus is more active at Duke. I hope I get into Tuck to make this decision easier.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [2]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
BonzoX85 wrote:
Ward2012 wrote:
BonzoX85 wrote:

Unfortunately Darden does not release the breakdown by company, only by industry. I can't only be sure that MBB recruitment was higher than 2 for each company for the Class of 2013. This is a really tough decision to make, it seemed to me during my visits that the student life around campus is more active at Duke. I hope I get into Tuck to make this decision easier.

Ah, got it. Sorry about that. Having friends who graduated at both schools, anecdotally, I can say that management consulting from MBB to boutique groups are well represented at both schools. So I think your choice between the two, if you have to make it, will come down to opportunities that will allow you to shine. For example, are there any experiential learning opportunities at either school that are particularly noteworthy? Does Darden's case method sit well with you? Is there someone in the career services office who used to work at a consulting firm? (For example, Booth, I think, has someone from BCG who is now at their career services office, which is obviously a great resource.) Etc Etc

In terms of life in Charlottesville, I can say some things about that too because I grew up in Cville from preschool to high school. I don't really know about the b school social life, but the town of Cville is fairly cosmopolitan for a small college town and UVA is pretty much right in the middle of Cville. You probably will want to have a car, but it's possible to survive without and depend on friends and the buses. Anyway, there are all types of restaurants and the cost of living is fairly good. I don't know much about Durham, but I would imagine though that the Raleigh-Durham airport is bigger than Charlottesville's airport, so RDU probably has more direct flights.

cheers.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks for the inputs! It seems to me that Fuqua provides more opportunities for hands-on experience. About the former consultants, I'll try to find that out.
But, if everything reamins the same, I am 90% sold on Duke.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Duke all the way
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [1]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Kudos
kingfalcon wrote:
While Fuqua and Darden are both great schools, Tuck places better at McKinsey, Bain, and BCG. In fact, on a per-capita basis, Tuck places right up there with Kellogg and Sloan as the best among the top schools. All three would likely give you an equal shot at say Deloitte.

Regarding Johnson, I would argue it is of the same caliber as Fuqua and Darden, but I believe even fewer Johnson students go into consulting. Assuming you got in everywhere and plan to recruit for consulting, I would rank them as follows: Tuck>Fuqua=Darden>Johnson.

Mostly agree with you, but I'd go Tuck>>Fuqua>Darden=Johnson. A lot of the top consulting firms consider Duke an "Ultra-elite" but Darden and Johnson an "Elite", and recruit heavier from Duke. Tuck is definitely in another stratosphere, and is a no brainer to take over the other three schools.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
I'm not sure if Fuqua is any better than Darden at placing into the top consulting firms. Darden's employment report data is a bit lacking, admittedly, but if you compare Darden's internships numbers for top consulting firms:

McKinsey: 14
BCG: 11
Bain: 7
Accenture: 7
Deloitte: 8

to Duke

McKinsey: 9
BCG: 10
Bain: 10
Accenture: 4
Deloitte: 19

You see pretty comparable numbers, but then taking into consideration Darden's class size of ~~310 vs Fuqua's class size of ~~420 those numbers definitely get skewed in Darden's favor. Plus, it is worth noting that those Deloitte numbers in all cases don't represent just S&O at Fuqua, but I believe they are just S&O at Darden.

Can't speak about full timei employment, as Darden doesn't go into such detail on its employment report.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
From my research, I feel that Fuqua and Darden will provide the same opportunities for MC industry. I feel the performance during the inverviews will be the most important factor instead of the school. We can observe that Fuqua numbers went down this year, but I don't think it is related to the school. Probably Fuquans didn't perform as well as previous years.

So for MC, I believe it will depend a lot more on my performance than which school I attend.

However, the situation is a bit different in Brazil when if I consider/compare the alumni base and brand recognizition. Fuqua seems way ahead of Darden down here. One can see that by attendance to their info session. Darden hosted a cocktail with more GEMBAs than prospectives. Fuqua however, packed a full auditorium - half alumni half prospectives.

In my head it is pretty much decided: Tuck (if admitted), otherwise Fuqua.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
I completely agree with you, in that it is all about performance in the interview. I just put the numbers out there to show that they're effectively the same, and no further conclusions can comfortably be drawn from the data.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
As an update: I've received the invite to inverview with Johnson, however, I will withdraw my application because, as discussed, I think that Top-tier consulting wise, it is a bit behind the other options. Johnson is the only school from the four that I have not visited and it only entered my list once I discovered Ross didn't have loans for International students without US co-signers anymore.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I've been admitted to Tuck with some $.
It's become a no-brainer.
Thanks for the help.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
You've already heard from Tuck for November round decisions?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Yes. Tuck notified Latin Americans due to an important event they hosted in the region.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
wow, congrats. When did you hear?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
last wednesday
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1130 posts