Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 16:06 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 16:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [5]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy

GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]

Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: MSc in Strategic Management (HEC Paris) [#permalink]
Hi,

Thanks for doing this. Do you know how job placement looks like for non-EU citizens? (American here.)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
mooncakes wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for doing this. Do you know how job placement looks like for non-EU citizens? (American here.)

Do you plan to work in the US or Europe? Which industry are you targeting? I would say it fares quite well as the HEC brand is well recognized among employers in Europe and North America. Thus, I'd say you probably won't have trouble in Investment Banking or in most industries.

Consulting is a bit complicated. In France, you need fluent French to apply to MBB and other consulting firms. Roughly 50% of the graduating students end up in consulting but usually back in their country of origin.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Consulting is indeed the industry I'm interested in. I'd like to work in Europe, as I get the impression the HEC Paris is more geared towards starting a career in Western Europe rather than one on a different continent, though let me know if this is a false assumption. I'm more than willing to put 100% effort into learning French, though if they expect native-fluency, I might not be able to deliver. I'm not particular towards any European country at the current moment, but my main concern is that I've heard in the European Union companies must prove that there were no EU candidates as qualified for the job in order to hire a non-EU worker.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [1]

Send PM
Bookmarks
mooncakes wrote:
Consulting is indeed the industry I'm interested in. I'd like to work in Europe, as I get the impression the HEC Paris is more geared towards starting a career in Western Europe rather than one on a different continent, though let me know if this is a false assumption. I'm more than willing to put 100% effort into learning French, though if they expect native-fluency, I might not be able to deliver. I'm not particular towards any European country at the current moment, but my main concern is that I've heard in the European Union companies must prove that there were no EU candidates as qualified for the job in order to hire a non-EU worker.

Your assumption is correct regarding careers. Fluency depends on the target office. This is something established by the firms at a regional level. I spoke with consultants from the elite 3 and the bottom line is this: your French must be fluent for the Paris office. As far as I know this is not the same case in the Belgium or Switzerland where they don't expect native fluency. Furthermore, you can also apply to the London office.

If you hold an HEC degree and pass all the problem tests and cases, you will be part of the elite few. But yes, companies have to prove you are the best man or woman for the job.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hm. The word fluency is open to so much interpretation, unfortunately, but it seems like they really emphasis French skills, which means the stronger the better. Good to know London is an option.
Intern
Intern

Send PM
mooncakes wrote:
Hm. The word fluency is open to so much interpretation, unfortunately, but it seems like they really emphasis French skills, which means the stronger the better. Good to know London is an option.

The question is, do you think you could manage a case interview in french? Some of these can be notoriously difficult, even in English!

Have you taken a French test before? I would say you would be okay with B2+ to C1.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Right now? Absolutely not. I suppose it comes down to a question of whether I can reach a B2/C1 level in, what, 1.5 or 2 years? Not easy at all, for sure. Doable, but the grades might take a large hit as a result.

Out of curiosity, are you a French speaker yourself? I notice your location says United States.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Genopath,
Thanks for helping out... really appreciate it.

I'm planning to apply to the Masters in Strategic management program at HEC. Could you please evaluate my profile and let me know my odds?

GMAT: 710
Completed under-graduation in engineering (Computer Science) from an average university/college in India with a 2:1
Worked in Microsoft for 2 years, in the IT support/consultancy division.
Average extra-curriculars.

Also how is the job placement situation for the IT strategy consulting industry after HEC for a non EU citizen (I do not know french)? For the students who end up going back to their home countries or elsewhere outside Paris for work, do they get placed on campus or do most of them have to search for a job off campus?

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi everyone,
I'm planning to apply for the Master in Management at HEC Paris (March session).
My profile is:
- 700 GMAT
- Bachelor degree in Economics and Management in an average University in Italy (grade: 103/110)
- no work experience because an internship wasn't required in my uni but planning to start one soon;
Do you think I could get admitted to one of the 2 programs?
Answers are appreciated.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I meant master in management
Intern
Intern

Send PM
mooncakes wrote:
Right now? Absolutely not. I suppose it comes down to a question of whether I can reach a B2/C1 level in, what, 1.5 or 2 years? Not easy at all, for sure. Doable, but the grades might take a large hit as a result.

Out of curiosity, are you a French speaker yourself? I notice your location says United States.

I would say I'm semi fluent though I did live in the US for a while:)
Intern
Intern

Send PM
KaranG wrote:
Hi Genopath,

I'm planning to apply to the Masters in Strategic management program at HEC. Could you please evaluate my profile and let me know my odds?

Completed under-graduation in engineering (Computer Science) from an average university/college in India with a 2:1

Also how is the job placement situation for the IT strategy consulting industry after HEC for a non EU citizen (I do not know french)? For the students who end up going back to their home countries or elsewhere outside Paris for work, do they get placed on campus or do most of them have to search for a job off campus?

Thanks.

Your profile is good though it also depends a little on how many applicants they have from India. I don't think that's a problem for this program though.

The job placement in the EU for IT strategy consulting might be tough for a non EU citizen, with no french. In general you can change industry or location. Changing both at the same time is difficult but not impossible of course.

I'm not sure I understand your last question. I believe you wish to know how the job placement works? If so, HEC and HEC Alumni have their own career portals which most students use for job search. That being said, should you go back to India after your studies the HEC brand is quite strong though not as strong as it is Europe or the Middle East.
Intern
Intern

Send PM
fra91 wrote:
Hi everyone,
I'm planning to apply for the Master in Management at HEC Paris (March session).
My profile is:
- 700 GMAT
- Bachelor degree in Economics and Management in an average University in Italy (grade: 103/110)
- no work experience because an internship wasn't required in my uni but planning to start one soon;
Do you think I could get admitted to one of the 2 programs?
Answers are appreciated.

It would help a lot if you get an internship before your interview for the Master in Strategic Management. The Master in Strategic Management is an "M2" master so it is a little more selective for internationals because half of the program already has at least one internship or tantamount work experience. If I were you in your position I would try Master in Management (Grande Ecole). I believe you have the option to apply to both.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Genopath wrote:
KaranG wrote:
Hi Genopath,

Thanks.

Your profile is good though it also depends a little on how many applicants they have from India. I don't think that's a problem for this program though.

The job placement in the EU for IT strategy consulting might be tough for a non EU citizen, with no french. In general you can change industry or location. Changing both at the same time is difficult but not impossible of course.

I'm not sure I understand your last question. I believe you wish to know how the job placement works? If so, HEC and HEC Alumni have their own career portals which most students use for job search. That being said, should you go back to India after your studies the HEC brand is quite strong though not as strong as it is Europe or the Middle East.

Thanks for replying Genopath.
Well I did apply for the January session and got shortlisted for the interview. Waiting for the final decision which is due tomorrow :)
Did you consider the Masters in Management and Strategy program at London School of Economics? Would you know how that program is ranked compared to this one at HEC, especially for a non EU citizen and a non french speaker?

I'm open to switching countries after the Masters at HEC (if french is a problem) but how feasible is it to get a job in other countries?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
You can check out LSE placement rates and salary. For a school of such high reputation, I've noticed that the placement rates and salary rates are pretty disappointing. I don't know if that's reflective of the economy condition in England or something, but as a non-EU I'd be rather wary of LSE. For the program you mentioned, 8.5% are unemployed and the median salary was 32,000 pounds, or 38500 EUR. For comparison, HEC's MSc in Strategic Management claims the following: Among the graduates of the class of 2012, 89% found employment within 3 months, 100% within 6 months, and an annual average start salary of 55000 EUR.

The numbers speak louder than this mysterious "prestige" surrounding LSE.

Hell, even the coveted Masters in Finance at LSE reports an average salary of 45,000 EUR and 7.4% unemployment.
Intern
Intern

Send PM
KaranG wrote:
Genopath wrote:
KaranG wrote:
Hi Genopath,

Thanks.

Thanks for replying Genopath.
Well I did apply for the January session and got shortlisted for the interview. Waiting for the final decision which is due tomorrow :)
Did you consider the Masters in Management and Strategy program at London School of Economics? Would you know how that program is ranked compared to this one at HEC, especially for a non EU citizen and a non french speaker?

I'm open to switching countries after the Masters at HEC (if french is a problem) but how feasible is it to get a job in other countries?

The LSE strategy program has a very different scope than HEC SM. It's more oriented towards research. So I did read about it, but I did not apply.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Genopath wrote:
Hello. Gmatclub!

I am currently studying in the MSc in Strategic Management. Someone messaged me the other day about questions about the program. I thought I take the initiative and make a post about. Please post any questions you might have about the MSc in Strategic Management or HEC Paris =)

Cheers,

Hi Genopath

I really appreciate the guidance you are giving. please guide me about the suitability of my profile to get a consulting job

GMAT SCORE - 700
Nationality - Indian
Qualification - Bachelor of Pharmacy and then did MBA in an average indian university.
Extra curriculars - Average
AGE -26
French proficiency - A2
Work Experience- 2 years as a marketing professional for a manufacturing firm in India.

I was thinking for MSc in strategic mgmt will help me get my dream job in consulting am I looking at the right place, please guide also can you give me name of any indian in this course in your class or in HEC alumni.

Will be much grateful

Dhaval Tahelyani
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts