GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 24 May 2018, 14:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MSc in Strategic Management (HEC Paris)

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 4
Re: MSc in Strategic Management (HEC Paris) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2014, 12:07
absolutelydhaval wrote:
Genopath wrote:
Hello. Gmatclub!

I am currently studying in the MSc in Strategic Management. Someone messaged me the other day about questions about the program. I thought I take the initiative and make a post about. Please post any questions you might have about the MSc in Strategic Management or HEC Paris =)

Cheers,

Hi Genopath

I really appreciate the guidance you are giving. please guide me about the suitability of my profile to get a consulting job

GMAT SCORE - 700
Nationality - Indian
Qualification - Bachelor of Pharmacy and then did MBA in an average indian university.
Extra curriculars - Average
AGE -26
French proficiency - A2
Work Experience- 2 years as a marketing professional for a manufacturing firm in India.

I was thinking for MSc in strategic mgmt will help me get my dream job in consulting am I looking at the right place, please guide also can you give me name of any indian in this course in your class or in HEC alumni.

Will be much grateful

Dhaval Tahelyani

For France, even if you did Harvard and HEC you will have a hard time getting a job in mgmt. consulting. You need fluent french. This is the case in most firms. You could always target London or Dubai though.

While I would say your profile is good, I am sure the admissions committee would question the MBA to MSc choice. Perhaps you should look at MBA programs as well. Good luck!

Alejandro LC
MMT - EGADE Business School 2013
SM - HEC Paris 2014

Starting your journey towards business school? My experience can help you...

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2014, 03:58
Hi alejandroMSc2014,

I'm pretty interested in the MSc in Strategic Management Program at HEC and will definitely be applying later this year. Just wanted to get a few doubts clarified regarding the post-MSc job scenario there:

1. After I complete my courses, I'd be very keen on working in Europe, western probably and that too in Consulting (I've been working in PwC India for almost a year now, since getting out of college). I've studied French in school for 3 years and have also spent 3 months in Paris doing a research internship during my engineering days. So, I'm aware of the need for French while staying in Paris. But I'm not fluent enough, maybe at most B2 level. And I'm poor at listening to people conversing fast in French too.

2. I have business level proficiency in Spanish and can communicate pretty comfortably with others. Listening is not a problem either.

- So, is it possible to get into consulting firms in France after passing out of the MSc program?
- If not France, do consulting firms in Spain entertain students from HEC as well, considering I'm capable of conversing well in Spanish? Or firms in nearby countries (Belgium, Switzerland). Not very keen on working in the UK or returning back to India, for atleast a few years.
- Lastly, approximately how many students in a batch get into the top consulting firms (MBB and ATK, OW, Roland Berger etc)?

Thanks.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2014, 16:10
This post received
KUDOS
aj2014 wrote:
Hi alejandroMSc2014,

I'm pretty interested in the MSc in Strategic Management Program at HEC and will definitely be applying later this year. Just wanted to get a few doubts clarified regarding the post-MSc job scenario there:

1. After I complete my courses, I'd be very keen on working in Europe, western probably and that too in Consulting (I've been working in PwC India for almost a year now, since getting out of college). I've studied French in school for 3 years and have also spent 3 months in Paris doing a research internship during my engineering days. So, I'm aware of the need for French while staying in Paris. But I'm not fluent enough, maybe at most B2 level. And I'm poor at listening to people conversing fast in French too.

2. I have business level proficiency in Spanish and can communicate pretty comfortably with others. Listening is not a problem either.

- So, is it possible to get into consulting firms in France after passing out of the MSc program?
- If not France, do consulting firms in Spain entertain students from HEC as well, considering I'm capable of conversing well in Spanish? Or firms in nearby countries (Belgium, Switzerland). Not very keen on working in the UK or returning back to India, for atleast a few years.
- Lastly, approximately how many students in a batch get into the top consulting firms (MBB and ATK, OW, Roland Berger etc)?

Thanks.

-Perhaps I should clarify something I said in the last post. Fluent french is required for France if you are targeting top-tier consulting firms. There are some niche consulting firms that require specialized knowledge so I would suggest you to target those.

- I am not 100% sure about other countries. I can tell you that the HEC brand is very strong in Spain. So yes, it is most certainly feasible. Keep in mind strategy consulting in Spain might not be a growing business at the moment. As you probably know strategy consulting work should correlate with economic growth. As for the other countries, I am not sure as they were not my targets but I do know consulting firms hire non-native speakers is Luxembourg.

-It's hard to say at this point. I would wait for the program's next brochure.

Alejandro LC
SM - HEC Paris 2014

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2014, 13:54
Hi guys, can you tell me something about the french course that is offered in advance of the courses. Would you recommend to go there? I dont speak french, but I don't know oif the 10 days course will change a lot.

What would you say? Thanks for your help!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2014, 15:15
tschinder wrote:
Hi guys, can you tell me something about the french course that is offered in advance of the courses. Would you recommend to go there? I dont speak french, but I don't know oif the 10 days course will change a lot.

What would you say? Thanks for your help!

Speaking some french is better than no french at all. I would strongly recommend you to take it. I would go forward as to say you should take the french course and then take a french language course in HEC. 2 reasons:

1) When you graduate and people see HEC Paris in your CV, they might ask you if you speak French. Some employers might question a lot this choice, especially if you did not even make the effort to learn it.

2) No french outside HEC makes your life more difficult. I'm sure you know but the French people love the French language. They expect you to understand it because, in their minds, French is the language of the future.

Short answer:
Is it worth the extra money? Yes if you are a beginner.
Does it make sense for my career? Absolutely.
Would it make your life easy? Definitely yes.

Alejandro LC
SM - HEC Paris 2014

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2014, 21:45
Thanks for your help! I think you are right, but the thing is, that I'll have french ass a class anyway, right? So does it make sense, or is it completely mandatory?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2014, 01:40
If money is not a factor for you then by all means go for it. The French class at HEC is on Saturdays and might interfere with other activities.

Alejandro LC
SM - HEC Paris 2014

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2014, 23:23
Hi,

I know this post is a bit outdated but if you could please respond to this it would be greatly appreciated.

I was wondering if you could tell me if you think my profile had a fighting chance for acceptance based on the following:

GPA: 3.54 / 4.00 (highest GPA in graduating class)
GMAT: 590 (I know this is low)
Work Experience: Strategy Consultant across Southern Africa, Commercial Banker for a national Canadian Bank and Co-founder of a Mid-Market Investment Bank (M&A) (while I was a student at school I worked for the following firms: Ernst & Young, Scotiabank, and CocaCola).
Extra-curricular: well above average (some examples include: coordinator for an inner city youth mentoring program for three years, author of a micro finance training program for a Kenyan based NGO, conducted micro finance assessments in Dominican Republic and Peru, volunteered at a job training centre in California, volunteer guitar instructor and soccer coach in Bulembu, Swaziland, and founder of a university basketball team)

I have also interviewed twice with Bain & Co and made it to the final round each time.

I know my GMAT is not high however with everything else do you think I'd have a chance?

Thank you!!!!

Andrew
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2015, 08:34
Hi Alejandro.

Do you know what is the average GMAT score in HEC?

Thanks!

José
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
MSc in Strategic Management (HEC Paris) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2015, 12:40
Hey Joswald the average GMAT score of HEC is around 710.
HEC is usually pretty picky about the GMAT and you will really have to have a very good profile if you want to get in with a lower GMAT score, but it is possible.
I had a friend who got in with a 660 but he had some really crazy international experiences.

You can check out http://www.mim-essay.com/hec-paris-mim-review.html , it is a comprehensive review on the HEC MiM and has data about the placements, class profile as well the application requirements.

Hope it helps.

Abhyank Srinet
Founder at http://www.MiM-Essay.com

MSc. in Management(MiM) Admission Consultants

Get consultation from graduates of HEC, ESCP, ESSEC, LBS & Duke

Feel free to message me, if you have any MiM/MSc. related questions or want a detailed Free profile evaluation

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2016, 08:05
Hi everyone,
First of all, thank you alejandroMSc2014 for this idea to consult and answer few questions regarding to applying at HEC Strategic Management program.
Currently I strongly consider trying my chance to apply to this exact Msc program for Sept 2017.
Idea of going to the business school has been in my head for a while now. I consider it as a chance to steer my career path in different direction.
And this exact year I believe is the time to start to make it happen.

I’ll try to be very brief in my profile:
- Currently I'm non-EU National (soon French - fingers crossed)
-Graduated at intermediate Easter European University with Bachelors in Computer Engineering (4 years of study).
(GPA isn’t something I’m very proud) – As by then I didn’t quite know what to study or what would be the best for the future.
Until my family moved to France (close to Geneva, Switzerland), where I had a opportunity to start working at CERN (technical Student at first) and after continuing pursuing rather Mechanical Engineering path within organization.
- Living in France (past 7 years)
- Working still at CERN (6 years)
- 29 years old (30 by the time I’ll be applying to schools)
- Fluent in 4 foreign languages (English, French, German, Russian & Georgian (mother tongue))
- Previous GRE score – 728 (math helped a lot)

thanks in advance
Manager
Manager
S
MSc in Strategic Management (HEC Paris) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2016, 13:44
Hey nsharmaz,

I would like to start a detailed answer with a very important first line- applicants for HEC's Master in Strategic Management should be recent graduates with a degree from a top institution in domains related to business administration. Further it has an average age of just 24.
From the information provided by you, it seems unlikely that you are a recent graduate. You have a great work experience of 6 years at CERN.

Overall, you have an impressive profile though a complete application would also need some information about activities you indulged in apart from studies and work (volunteering, extra-curricular etc) as well as about your motivation. However, you need to re-think about which program is the most suitable for your profile.
A profile is the sum total of-

Academics
GMAT/GRE scores
Extra-curriculars
Essays and Letters of recommendation

Based on these factors alone, for example, two degrees of very similar curriculum- MiM and MBA are hugely different (http://www.mim-essay.com/mba-vs-mim/).

Therefore, by the time you are 30, it would be advisable to apply for MBA instead of such a specialized masters, or if not, you almost surely have to demonstrate reasons for your preference for the latter.

Nothing can replace a free professional advice in your case, and I suggest you go for one at http://www.mim-essay.com/mim-profile-evaluation/

Hope it helped. Best of luck!

Abhyank Srinet

Feel free to message me, if you have any MiM/MSc. related questions or want a detailed Free profile evaluation

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2018, 09:05
Hi Everbody,

I strongly consider trying my chance to apply to the Msc Strategic Management program for September 2019.

My aim is to get into MBB consulting firms in France.

I ll be brief with my profile -

Male
29 years (working in France as a Postdoctoral Scientist)
Indian National
Fluent in French and English (Can handle case interviews in French)
Bachelors and Masters from reputed university in India (GPA 3).
PhD in Cell Biology from University of Montpellier, France.
Currently working as a Postdoctoral Scientist in Paris (Living in France for 5 years).
GMAT 750.

I am aware that consulting firms hire Advanced degree candidates, but I am having a a tough time landing interviews (due to lack of a network).

My hope is that the Msc Strategic Management program will open doors
to landing an interview.

Also, what is the difference between an MBA and MSc in Strategic Management in HEC?
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2018, 06:46
Hey there,

Masters in Strategic Management from HEC is definitely a good choice.
But considering your age and extensive work experience, you have a better shot at MBA programs,
In fact, an MBA from HEC will expose you to more consulting firms from different industries, and even build up your network better.
We would suggest you take up the MBA first, and keep MSc in Strategic Management as the second option; since it seems like you have a good profile, but it just needs to be presented better.

You can get your profile evaluated by taking up our free profile evaluation test to see if you have a good shot at getting into these programs.
Click on this link to start the profile evaluation: https://mim-essay.typeform.com/to/tSey1j#01

Abhyank Srinet

Re: MSc in Strategic Management (HEC Paris)   [#permalink] 31 Jan 2018, 06:46

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 34 posts ] 

MSc in Strategic Management (HEC Paris)

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap