Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 14:24 It is currently 02 May 2024, 14:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Need help in deciding the right business school [#permalink]
Hi InterviewBay2,

Really appreciate the reply. Will give it a read.
But do you think doing MBA course from Nanyang or NUS is worth it straight after my BCom? As it doesn't require either GMAT or work experience just IELTS and good GPA.
Will i be able to get a good to decent job after getting MBA degree in India or Singapore?
If not a job, what more can i explore in my education career like Phd courses?

Awaiting your response.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Getting into business schools in US and Europe without work experience is not possible. So right now, if you wish to pursue an MBA, NUS and NTU are good options. Employment statistics for NUS and NTU full time MBA students are decent. The first thing you need to decide is a career goal. Doing an MBA or a PhD for the sake of doing something makes no sense. You need to start making decisions based on your goals. Also, business schools look for candidates who have a post-mba goal. So set your goals and then take a step in that direction.

Good Luck!
www.interviewbay.com
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: LBS '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Kudos
I would also say that an MBA directly out of undergrad makes little sense. The entire idea behind the MBA is to "finally" take real world experience and do the class room again. This experience then changes how you perceive and process what you learn. Out of undergrad, do a masters if thats what you want (master of management, etc.)

Also, don't be fooled by "don't need work experience" etc. The better thing to look at is the "class profile" that nearly every MBA program's website provides. The averages there are good guiding principles for what you need.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72979 [2]
Given Kudos: 18903
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Cantona wrote:
I would also say that an MBA directly out of undergrad makes little sense. The entire idea behind the MBA is to "finally" take real world experience and do the class room again. This experience then changes how you perceive and process what you learn. Out of undergrad, do a masters if thats what you want (master of management, etc.)

Also, don't be fooled by "don't need work experience" etc. The better thing to look at is the "class profile" that nearly every MBA program's website provides. The averages there are good guiding principles for what you need.

I second this. Some schools will take a small number of people out of undergrad, but I would also advise against that:
1) You won't learn as much
2) You will have a super-hard time recruiting
3) Your classmates won't have much to learn from you and you will feel low value/self-esteem

Get an entry level job and establish yourself. Figure out what you want to do with your life. You are still young - go out there and make some mistakes! :-)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
Cantona wrote:

I second this. Some schools will take a small number of people out of undergrad, but I would also advise against that:
1) You won't learn as much
2) You will have a super-hard time recruiting
3) Your classmates won't have much to learn from you and you will feel low value/self-esteem

Get an entry level job and establish yourself. Figure out what you want to do with your life. You are still young - go out there and make some mistakes! :-)

Guys, thanks, really appreciate the reply.

I agree on everything you said. So now have postponed mba plans.

Was thinking of doing a MSc Management from NUS (Plus CEMS MIM) and then applying for a job (2 years) and then trying to enroll for MBA. Will i get a decent job experience after MSc+CEMS MIM from Singapore? Will i be able to do a MBA from UK business schools afterwards or should i continue from NUS itself?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
MiM with CEMS is great. If you can get into that you'll have a good start to your career.

I feel old saying this, but don't worry about too many steps out. Who knows, you may land your dream job out of school and work for 5-10 years and start your own company?

Do whatever maximizes your chances now (MiM + CEMS is great) and go from there. As long as you are working and learning, you'll be on the right track (whether for applying to an MBA or career progression).

First things first.. take the GMAT!

Best,
-C
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Cantona wrote:
MiM with CEMS is great. If you can get into that you'll have a good start to your career.

I feel old saying this, but don't worry about too many steps out. Who knows, you may land your dream job out of school and work for 5-10 years and start your own company?

Do whatever maximizes your chances now (MiM + CEMS is great) and go from there. As long as you are working and learning, you'll be on the right track (whether for applying to an MBA or career progression).

Best,
-C

Thanks for inspiring words, mate.

I am inclined towards MSc Management+CEMS MIM (24months full time and summer internship) course from LSE. They say this course is alternate to an MBA. What do you think about it? Will i get a good job/work experience after this dual degree course?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [0]
Send PM
Sp1n wrote:
Cantona wrote:

Best,
-C

I am inclined towards MSc Management+CEMS MIM (24months full time and summer internship) course from LSE. They say this course is alternate to an MBA. What do you think about it? Will i get a good job/work experience after this dual degree course?

I wouldn't say it is an alternative to an MBA. You have to look at the landscape that you're dealing with. Europe does the typical 3 year bachelor + 1 year master, whereas in the US, people tend to just do a 4 year bachelor (and master is quite rare).

A master is more common in Europe (versus the MBA). A two year master is a long commitment, so those that get into elte MiM programs tend to not do an MBA after 3-4 years. These students in Europe already have a top school on their resume and did graduate level course work for 2 years.

The difference is, as always, that the MBA is not only about the coursework. It is all about having worked for 3-4 years, and then getting a chance to go back and learn what you want with more focus. The MBA is still a very different experience, but if you have a 2 year MiM from a top program (HEC, LSE), then it may not make sense investment wise / time wise.

Final word of caution - these CEMS programs are not easy to get into. So in that sense, it is quite MBA-like :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Cantona wrote:
Sp1n wrote:
Cantona wrote:

Best,
-C

I wouldn't say it is an alternative to an MBA. You have to look at the landscape that you're dealing with. Europe does the typical 3 year bachelor + 1 year master, whereas in the US, people tend to just do a 4 year bachelor (and master is quite rare).

A master is more common in Europe (versus the MBA). A two year master is a long commitment, so those that get into elte MiM programs tend to not do an MBA after 3-4 years. These students in Europe already have a top school on their resume and did graduate level course work for 2 years.

The difference is, as always, that the MBA is not only about the coursework. It is all about having worked for 3-4 years, and then getting a chance to go back and learn what you want with more focus. The MBA is still a very different experience, but if you have a 2 year MiM from a top program (HEC, LSE), then it may not make sense investment wise / time wise.

Final word of caution - these CEMS programs are not easy to get into. So in that sense, it is quite MBA-like :)

Well, I will give it my best shot. Its either this programme at LSE or just MSc Management without Internship at Oxford Brookes.

But who knows I might give MBA a shot too after 3-4 years of work experience.

Also whats the job opportunities in UK/Neighboring countries and US like after doing MSc+CEMS MIM from LSE?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Bump.

Can anyone give me an idea of work opportunities/placements after MSc Finance from Cass Business School, London in Europe countries, states or even AU?

Please any help would be much appreciated.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1130 posts