Last visit was: 04 May 2024, 14:59 It is currently 04 May 2024, 14:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1188 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Consistantly scoring very low on Practice Test - Don't know [#permalink]
soods26 wrote:
How well do would you say do you know your content? Both for quant and verbal.

Say, I asked you what is the sum of numbers in an arithmetic progression would you have an answer in seconds? OR say I asked you about usage of present perfect tense or past perfect, would you have some examples pop up in your head right away?

If you aren't confident on questions like the ones I've asked you above, might need to work more on content. MGMAT for quant, SC and RC is a great resource. If you would like to polish CR you could have a look at the power score bible.

My signature has a link to my de-brief, which might give you some ideas on how to look to improve. Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you very much on your reply and on your feedback. I would say that my math skills are ok, verbal need to work on. Especially reading comprehension and critical reasoning. It seems that I have not "cracked the method" on solving these questions. I would say that is the main problem.

Do you have any advice here?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 413 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT Date: 03-04-2014
GPA: 3.77
WE:Analyst (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:
Problem is, every question for quant somehow seems new to me

If you analyze question patterns and carefully read each question, you could almost always relate to certain concepts, don't rush things, don't think of the answer immediately, really think the question through and see beneath the words.

Quote:
My stamina for the test is pretty bad too. I just can't sit for 4 h and concentrate. I find this very difficult.

This sums up roughly 50% of your problem, you always have to simulate test environment, for example, I always answer quant questions in multiples of 37 under timed conditions (not only PS, but DS too). Also, do as many CATs as you can, I'd recommend doing at least MGMAT + GMATPrep CATs.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3672 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
Here's one perspective from which you can think about the GMAT.

Yes, the GMAT is pretty intimidating -- all kinds of concepts and reasoning brain teasers, etc..

But if you think about it - there's only so many types of ways that GMAT can test you on the same thing. There are somethings --- for example, the calculation of standard deviation, and other complex formulas -- that will definitely not be tested. The concept may be tested, but the calculation will not be tested. So if you hone in on the questions from the OG and GMATPrep -- you'll get a sense of what you might see on the actual test.

It's OK if you get many questions wrong - but the key is to learn from your mistakes. If you can learn from each mistake you make --- even if you initially get every question in the book wrong---as long as you learn from you, you should be able to eventually get everything correct.

Put yourself to the test -- keep asking yourself what you could have done differently to get the correct answer. Is there a different part of the question you could have focused on to save time? Is there a misreading on your part of exactly what the question is? If the question asks you for what 20% of x is ---and you do all the fancy math to solve for x----well, the answer is NOT x! ---it's 20% of x -- so don't fall for those kinds of traps. Learn from it -- and next time --- before you choose your final answer, make sure you are actually answering exactly what the question is asking you about.

So with this philosophy that there are only so many types of ways the GMAT can test you on ---as long as you keep learning from your mistakes -- you should eventually be able to master every GMAT question. From there, it's about repeating the process in a timed, pressured environment.

Only after you review your mistakes should you consider taking another practice test. When you do, try this one: https://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... ctice-test

And if you need assistance with the OG SC questions - take a look at our video solutions here: https://www.gmatpill.com/official-guide
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Good suggestion from GMAT. I was extremely disappointed from my gmat practice score, first one actually.(I gave it few days ago). I lost points at places i thought i shouldve known the answer! It was easy for me to know when i was certainly wrong and I realised the only way I could improve was to practice. From school days, i tend to practice the same thing over and over again. at certain points you are like, oh i could've done it this way too. You get different angles to the same problem, and this way it becomes easy to solve many types of problems. I am going to apply the same methodolgy to my gmat preparation. I only hope i dont end up wasting too much time in the prep :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Abdul29 wrote:
Quote:
Problem is, every question for quant somehow seems new to me

If you analyze question patterns and carefully read each question, you could almost always relate to certain concepts, don't rush things, don't think of the answer immediately, really think the question through and see beneath the words.

Quote:
My stamina for the test is pretty bad too. I just can't sit for 4 h and concentrate. I find this very difficult.

This sums up roughly 50% of your problem, you always have to simulate test environment, for example, I always answer quant questions in multiples of 37 under timed conditions (not only PS, but DS too). Also, do as many CATs as you can, I'd recommend doing at least MGMAT + GMATPrep CATs.

Please tell from where to get these MGMAT CAT
GMAT Club Bot