Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 07:24 It is currently 05 May 2024, 07:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
WE:Corporate Finance (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Operations, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GRE 1: Q530 V800
GPA: 3.9
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Targetting 2015 intake for most schools. Need motivation. :) [#permalink]
saurabhmalhotra wrote:
Thank you Karunakar. I almost missed out on that one.

A few things that i want to mention. I am looking very seriously towards Jan'15 intake for Insead the R2 deadline for which is may 28 2014.
On the topic of co-curricular, frankly, i do not have any major achievements or activities that i have undertaken. I have purely been very academically inclined and even today i would be more inclined to take up an academically oriented activity (such as a course in psychology, valuations etc etc)

Being from India you would understand that during school and college my core focus was studies (not an excuse to not have a good co-curricular portfolio). can you suggest ways in which i could handle this problem?

I'm PMing you!

Best
Karunakar
Intern
Intern
Send PM
kpottem wrote:
saurabhmalhotra wrote:
Thank you Karunakar. I almost missed out on that one.

A few things that i want to mention. I am looking very seriously towards Jan'15 intake for Insead the R2 deadline for which is may 28 2014.
On the topic of co-curricular, frankly, i do not have any major achievements or activities that i have undertaken. I have purely been very academically inclined and even today i would be more inclined to take up an academically oriented activity (such as a course in psychology, valuations etc etc)

Being from India you would understand that during school and college my core focus was studies (not an excuse to not have a good co-curricular portfolio). can you suggest ways in which i could handle this problem?

I'm PMing you!

Best
Karunakar

greatly appreciate your willingness to help
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Send PM
I am not sure if the 3 years of work ex at PwC counts as a full time work experience. Still, having PwC on your resume will be a big boost. The rest of your work experience of 3.5 years involving 18+ months of leadership positions with Reckitt Beckinser by the time you start your MBA program, gives you a fair chance of getting into top 10 programs. A GMAT score of 710 is good. If you've done good in finance related courses in your undergrad and have a good GPA, then 710 can give you a good chance at your target programs, irrespective of your quant score. You should target R1 admissions and decide on a post-mba goal before applying. Research on your list of target schools. Talk to alumni of these schools and make a list of 6-7 schools to apply in R1. Start working on your essays and application and get your application verified by alumni of your target business schools.

Download the free e-book on how to get into a top business school at : https://www.interviewbay.com/mba/how-to- ... -ebook.php

Good Luck!
www.interviewbay.com
Manager
Manager
Send PM
InterviewBay2 wrote:
I am not sure if the 3 years of work ex at PwC counts as a full time work experience. Still, having PwC on your resume will be a big boost. The rest of your work experience of 3.5 years involving 18+ months of leadership positions with Reckitt Beckinser by the time you start your MBA program, gives you a fair chance of getting into top 10 programs. A GMAT score of 710 is good. If you've done good in finance related courses in your undergrad and have a good GPA, then 710 can give you a good chance at your target programs, irrespective of your quant score. You should target R1 admissions and decide on a post-mba goal before applying. Research on your list of target schools. Talk to alumni of these schools and make a list of 6-7 schools to apply in R1. Start working on your essays and application and get your application verified by alumni of your target business schools.

Download the free e-book on how to get into a top business school at : https://www.interviewbay.com/mba/how-to- ... -ebook.php

Good Luck!
https://www.interviewbay.com

I strongly believe that being an Indian applicant, 710 isn't good enough for the top 10 programs!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
kpottem wrote:
InterviewBay2 wrote:

Good Luck!

I strongly believe that being an Indian applicant, 710 isn't good enough for the top 10 programs!

Hi Karunakar,

I have been receiving mixed responses as you can see above. The situation is that insead R2 closes on 28 may for which i dont feel i have enough time to give the gmat again. The US schools yes have another 6 months to go so i can think about it certainly.

But im thinking of starting to work on my essays for insead since jan15 intake is critical for me. otherwise it would get pushed to Jan'16 intake...
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
kpottem wrote:
InterviewBay2 wrote:

Good Luck!

Indians need to see the upper boundary of middle 80% range which school release, which for top 10 schools in 760 and the next 10 is 750-740.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Justifying a story for brand management or marketing with our background will not be easy. Once you get into an MBA program, you can do whatever you want. However, I am not sure if using a brand management story will put your application within the risk appetite of the admissions committee.

You will have to project very strong supporting reasons. You might want to use a branding story after you get an ADMIT, and take that story with the employers when you get to see them in business schools.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
- Agreed with Pythagurus.

- Also, please consider taking the GMAT again - since the average for your competitive pool (Indian applicants) is higher - especially in quant.

- When discussing job experience, it'd help if you focus more on the impact you created (quantified results), as compared to job description
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
saurabhmalhotra wrote:
Hi Guys,

I seek advice from everyone here who has had a tryst with b school admissions in one way or the other. any info will go a long way in helping me in this journey

I recently gave the GMAT exam and scored -
Q47 (70th percentile)
V40 (92nd perecentile)
AWA 6
IR 4 Sad
Overall 710 (90th percentile)

This score breakup has put me in a worried state of mind. I am contemplating whether to take the test again or to go with this score.

Target year - 2015 admissions
Target schools - HBS, Standford GSB, Booth, Tuck, Insead Singapore, Sloan, Kellog, Berkely, NYU Stern
(ie top 20)

I am putting in a brief write up of my profile. It would be very helpful if you could give me your views on my profile's suitability for the mentioned schools in the light of the GMAT score i attained (specially the combined not so good show in IR and quant)

Educational Background -
1. Schooling - Consistently achieved a Top 5 position in school in each year starting 8th grade
2. 10th Grade - (something like the national education board exams) - 89% (not percentile. 89% was my score)
2. 12th grade - 95% (not percentile) (again national board exams, which form the basis for admission to prestigious undergrad colleges in india)
3. Undergrad - Bachelors in commerce (accounting, taxation, cost accounting). Obtained admission in Sriram College of Commerece in Delhi university. This college is the number 1 college for undergrad commerce studies in India and also rate in the top 4-5 in asia.
4. Professional education (after graduation) - Chartered Accountancy. The Indian chartered accountancy program is probably the toughest in the world. It has 3 successive levels of examination. I cleared all 3 in one attempt with the following All India ranking -
Level 1 (PE1) - All India Rank 19 (approx 50000 examinees)
Level 2 (PE2) - All India Rank 35 (approx 50000 examinees)
Level 3 (PE3) - All India Rank 14 (approx 30000 examinees)
Only about 2-3% people are able to clear the level 3 in any particular attempt. Further this professional course entails a mandatory 3 year stint with and accounting and auditing firm. So one works for 12 hours a day and then studies to prepare for level 3.

Work experience -
1. 3 years of articleship (mandatory work ex under Chartered accountancy) with PricewaterhousCoopers
in financial auditing
2. Moved to ITC limited (5bn USD cigarettes to Hotels conglomerate in India - ITC hotels, Classic brand of cigarettes. also a big player in personal care and foods and snacks business.) Worked for 1 year as Assistant manager in the Internal audit team.

3. Reckitt Benckiser India - Management Trainee (1 yr)
Eventually wanted to move out of auditing and into operations so took a decision to join the Reckitt Benckiser India management trainee program. For 1 year worked in various functions - sales, supply, commercial, factory finance, corporate supply finance. Did a major gross margin improvement project

4. Reckitt Benckiser Singapore - Assistant Manager Finance (6 months)
First finance management trainee in the history of RB India, to be given an international posting on completion of traineeship. Worked with the latin america and asia pac supply director and supply finance controller
Was offered extension of anothr 18 months in the singapore office and additional responsibility with the area marketing innovation finance team.

5. Reckitt Benckiser India - Assistant manager supply finance (current)
Chose to return to the India business and work at the grass root level to learn day to day operations, problems and solutions.

In summary total work ex
3 yrs PwC
1 yr ITC
1 yr RB India and 6 months RB singapore
5 and a half years.

I am clear that i do not want to do Ibanking or PE or consulting since number crunching is not what i want to do all my life and i am not the most quantitatively gifted person. I have a tilt towards general management, marketing, brand management.

Regards
Saurabh

Saurabh,

I am in the same boat as you. Applying for 2015 intake. I am gonna share what I think about your chances at the schools you mentioned. I am gonna be brutally honest with you and you can do the same with my profile.

1) 710 is a solid score.
a) Indian candidates usually have high GMATs but you not being from an engg or IT background I don't think 710 would be detrimental but improving this would only be a good thing.
2) No one cares what you did in high school. You could have been THE ****. No one cares.
3) Shri Ram College is a solid school but it does not have really any recognition outside the country.
a) 3-year Indian degrees are frowned upon by most adcoms. Berkeley says outright that they does not accept it.
4) You don't mention your grades in college. Those are important.
5) CA is a great certification to have and you have clearly done well in it.
a) But the drawback is it is not recognized in the US.
b) India is known for its absurd low rates for almost everything. That doesn't really impress M7 adcoms.
6) 3 years of articleship does not count as full-time work experience. It counts as internship.
7) ITC, RB are all great firms. ( Disclosure: I actually interviewed with RB for their Leadership Development Program during my undergrad years).
8) So basically you are going to have about 3.5 years of experience when you matriculate.
a) Out of that 1 year is auditing. Then it is a management trainee position and then supply chain finance.
b) None of them are sexy.
c) International experience in Singapore is a big plus.
9) Brand Management? You don't have any experiences doing that at any time in your career. Also, accounting/supply chain finance to brand management is a dramatic shift. I dont know how adcoms are gonna see it.
10) In all seriousness I don't really see you getting in at most/if not all the schools you mentioned. You might have a better chance if you try low 20s or outside the 20s.

Again in all seriousness you have a good career trajectory. Keep working hard and try get promoted and more managerial responsibility. In a couple of years you should a much better candidate to crack the top 15.

Hopefully, I haven't been too harsh. Those are my personal opinions from my experiences that I have gathered by living in three different countries. I hope you I helped you in some way or the other. And please feel free to be harsh on my profile.

Best,
DG
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
I agree with whatever has been said above. Believe you should do the CFA, get promotions and try to score 750 on the GMAT. If you do all the above you can crack schools in the Top 10. Else you can apply this year two 2-3 Top 15 schools and a few safety schools. You never know B Schools are looking for younger applicants these days.
GMAT Club Bot