Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 15:12 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 15:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10019 [1]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 10019 [0]
Send PM
Re: Stern (NYU) 2016 Class - Calling all Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hello GMATCLUB Members,

We are bringing a webinar with Q&A as well as chats with current students focused on the Waitlisted Applicants.
The first event of this series is Webinar conducted by Admissionado's Founder and HBS Alum Jon Frank. Jon will share his suggestions followed by a Q&A session. This is your opportunity to ask your specific questions. The webinar will take place on 31st January 2014, Friday, 9 AM PST.

We shall also be conducting chat sessions with some Current students from various schools who were successfully admitted from a waitlist so you can learn what to expect from the process, what worked for them, and what it takes. These chats shall take place in our Chat Room. We will release the times & Dates (all will be the first week of February)

Webinar Link: https://www3.gotomeeting.com/pjoin/531329318/105379349
Download event to your Outlook
If you are on a waitlist - you do NOT want to miss these!

The webinar and chats are free. There will be a 30-minute Q&A session at the end of the Webinar on Friday Jan 31st at 9 AM PST - join to have your questions answered.

Thank You! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 610 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 620 Q47 V28
GMAT 3: 710 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.47
WE:Analyst (Manufacturing)
Send PM
financefella wrote:
good luck everyone! Just curious is someone else has been waitlisted after their interview as I have?

I was waitlisted after interview too! My interview didnt go well as i was very neevous and was not answering questions very well:( how did yours go? Do u know why u could have been waitlisted? Also are u going to do anything to try to get off the waitlist?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi ekv2, good to hear that someone else is in the same boat! I thought I was confident in my interview but I'm a career switcher and I don't think my answers really convinced them enough that I was able to make the switch. I thought everything else went well but I think those answers made them hesitate a bit.

I'm going to definitely write a letter to them in the next month that lets them know NYU is still my first choice if I get off the list. I'm not sure if I should better explain my plan for switching careers in my letter as well.
MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 10019 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply

!
Join us for a chat with several current students who have been admitted from WL last year.
When: Tue Feb 4th at 9 AM PST
Where: GMAT Club Chat

The recording of the Getting off a Waitlist Webinar is now available on Youtube:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61Lo8LAfOIQ[/youtube]
Intern
Intern
Send PM
financefella wrote:
Hi ekv2, good to hear that someone else is in the same boat! I thought I was confident in my interview but I'm a career switcher and I don't think my answers really convinced them enough that I was able to make the switch. I thought everything else went well but I think those answers made them hesitate a bit.

I'm going to definitely write a letter to them in the next month that lets them know NYU is still my first choice if I get off the list. I'm not sure if I should better explain my plan for switching careers in my letter as well.

Hi Financefella, I am a career switcher as well and I do believe that I was unconvincing as well. They asked me which steps I took to determine that that's the career path I want and I couldn't answer it straight for some reason even though later I did come up with the answer I should've used. I think I was waitlisted for the same reason as you - career switcher with a vision that is not too clear. In terms of writing letter of commitment,etc. I would not wait too long - I have sent mine in 2 weeks after I was waitlisted to make sure they know that I am very interested in the school. I have also sent an additional rec letter and an update on the project I participated in recently about the same time. I am also participating in some events that are coming up this month. I totaly suggest you do something ASAP if Stern is your choice number 1. I'm not sure if the timing really matters, but I think it does as it kind of shows how enthusiastic you are about the school, etc. Hope we get admitted eventually!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
And in terms of clarifying your career plans - I think you should clarify them indeed if you think that that's your flaw. Definitely use this as an opportunity to clarify you goals. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Ek, I really appreciate your help and I think I'm going to write them a letter this week as opposed to waiting. I saw that some people from last year got admitted in March, so hopefully now is a good time. I get the sense that Stern puts a lot of people on the waitlist and if we were interviewed I take it as a positive sign. I think we both have a great shot so good luck to you as well.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
financefella wrote:
Hi Ek, I really appreciate your help and I think I'm going to write them a letter this week as opposed to waiting. I saw that some people from last year got admitted in March, so hopefully now is a good time. I get the sense that Stern puts a lot of people on the waitlist and if we were interviewed I take it as a positive sign. I think we both have a great shot so good luck to you as well.
financefella wrote:

Yeah, I really hope we both get in. The fact that we were interviewed is definitely a good thing - means that they like us and that we screwed up somewhere in the interview, but I'm not sure if it's good in terms of priorities - they have a lot of candidate who are waitlisted but not interviewed yet- so they might want to look at those candidates first before returning to the ones they've already seen. This sounds depressing lol I have a friend who knows someone at Stern and they told her that people on the waitlist at Stern still have very good chances of getting in - I guess if we are persistent enough, we should be fine.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
ekv2 wrote:
financefella wrote:
financefella wrote:

Yeah, I really hope we both get in. The fact that we were interviewed is definitely a good thing - means that they like us and that we screwed up somewhere in the interview, but I'm not sure if it's good in terms of priorities - they have a lot of candidate who are waitlisted but not interviewed yet- so they might want to look at those candidates first before returning to the ones they've already seen. This sounds depressing lol I have a friend who knows someone at Stern and they told her that people on the waitlist at Stern still have very good chances of getting in - I guess if we are persistent enough, we should be fine.

Hi guys, for the additional recommendation letters, may I ask to whom did your recommenders send them to? Is it the MBA admissions chair email?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi guys, for the additional recommendation letters, may I ask to whom did your recommenders send them to? Is it the MBA admissions chair email?[/quote]
Hi! Yes, just send it to the email you should send all of your additional info to. I actually gave that email to my recommender and he sent the letter directly to that email.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi, I am preparing to send a letter of continued commitment as well as a recommendation from a friend / alumni. Do you think it would be bad if I sent Stern the recommendation myself or should I have the recommender send it to the adcom directly? I kind of want to put it together as one package but will do whatever is the best option. thanks for the advice.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
financefella wrote:
Hi, I am preparing to send a letter of continued commitment as well as a recommendation from a friend / alumni. Do you think it would be bad if I sent Stern the recommendation myself or should I have the recommender send it to the adcom directly? I kind of want to put it together as one package but will do whatever is the best option. thanks for the advice.

Hi Financefella, I actually too used the Stern alumnus friend and he sent it directly to the admissions as he even still has his Stern email. So I think the fact that your alumni can send it directly from his Stern email makes it more authentic. Moreover, I like the idea that it is comming to them directly because it means that you don't know exactly what they said there - which makes it even more authentic and credible. I would definitely ask your alumnus do that himself. You should definitely put all other docs in one package and attach it to you letter. In the same letter you can tell them that they should expect the letter from your recommender shortly. That way they will know to expect it. And then your alumnus can send it to them around the same time. Not sure if this is the ideal way to handle all this - this is my first time being on the wait list lol But that's how I did it and I think it makes sense! I agree that you don't want to overwhelm them with multiple emails/packages every day or every week. Hope this helps! Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q42 V41
GMAT 3: 700 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.55
Send PM
Kudos
Hi All-

Happy to report that I have been invited to interview for summer start after being waitlisted all the way back in early Round 1 (November I believe.)!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
jpd5044 wrote:
Hi All-

Happy to report that I have been invited to interview for summer start after being waitlisted all the way back in early Round 1 (November I believe.)!

Did you apply for the summer start though? Or did they just offered you to interview for the summer start? Hopefully this means that they haven't started reviewing the regular Fall start waitlisters just yet cuz it sounds very early - I thought they said they would start reviewing the list early spring or so. Good luck with you interview though!! Prepare well - know what you want and why, know the school, and be positive!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
No I didn't apply for it. I don't think you can apply for it. They just select a certain small group of applicants for it (not sure of the criteria)...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
jpd5044 wrote:
No I didn't apply for it. I don't think you can apply for it. They just select a certain small group of applicants for it (not sure of the criteria)...

I wonder if you are career switcher? I think the diff is that you wouldn't do an internship as a summer start student - not sure but I thought that's what it is - so if you are a career switcher, then you def need an internship, but if you are not a career switcher, then I think you don't need an internship. Not sure though..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
I think you are mistaken. All summer start means is you start in july and take 2 classes in the summer, while the rest of the normal class joins you in august. Then in the first semester you take one less class, because you've already done it in the past summer. Once the fall semester starts, all summer start students are on completely the same path as everyone else, same semesters, same internship, same graduation...
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts