Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 07:12 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 07:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Poor Qualityx      
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [7]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools:IIM
 Q49  V24
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28580 [5]
Given Kudos: 130
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8557 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Re: Apart from having more permanent employees than PreX, the [#permalink]
mikemcgarry wrote:
ranjeet75 wrote:
Apart from having more permanent employees than PreX, the employees in UpskirT are higher educated than those in PreX, with more graduate students.
A. the employees in UpskirT are higher educated than those in
B. UpskirT has higher educated employees than those do
C. the employees in UpskirT are higher educated than those are in
D. UpskirT employees are higher educated that those are in
E. UpskirT has higher educated employees than

I don't know the source, but there are a number of problems with this sentence.

Problem #2: in (B), the OA, at the very end, the verb "do" (plural) is used for PreX, the name of a company. This is actually a classic GMAT agreement mistake ---- a collective noun, such as the name of a company, is singular and must take a singular verb. Thus, "PreX does ABC" would be correct, and "PreX do ABC" is completely incorrect. Whoever wrote this question fell into this very popular SC trap.

Mike :-)

Hi Mike,

If not for the 'better educated' problem cant we choose option E... this doesn't have 'do' and plus we are comparing UpskirT with PreX right??? no need for a verb here
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28580 [0]
Expert Reply
aditya111 wrote:
Hi Mike,
If not for the 'better educated' problem cant we choose option E... this doesn't have 'do' and plus we are comparing UpskirT with PreX right??? no need for a verb here

With a verb after the word "than", ambiguity arises --- is the word after "than" in parallel with the subject or the object? In other words,

"A has more X than B"
Does this means
(1) A has more X than B has X?
(2) A has more X than A has B?
It's true, from logic, we can figure out that PreX should be in parallel to the other company, UpskirT, but from the GMAT's point of view, if the grammar itself is unclear, and we need to resort to logic to resolve a grammatical ambiguity, then that's a poorly written sentence. In a well-written sentence, grammar and logic say that same thing.

Does all this make sense?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2393 [0]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Could some mod please correct this question? There's seems to be something wrong particullarly in answer choice B

Thanks!
Cheers
J :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [0]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
jlgdr wrote:
Could some mod please correct this question? There's seems to be something wrong particullarly in answer choice B
Thanks! Cheers J :)

Dear jlgdr,
What appears to be amiss with this question? I didn't see any problem.

Hi Mike,
In this question, apart from questionable OA, "higher" doesn't sound right. "more" is more suitable. Can you please clarify?

And I guess as per logic, we can arrive at an Option E) Can you please highlight any other issue with Option E) ?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28580 [1]
Kudos
Expert Reply
kinjiGC wrote:
Hi Mike,
In this question, apart from questionable OA, "higher" doesn't sound right. "more" is more suitable. Can you please clarify?

And I guess as per logic, we can arrive at an Option E) Can you please highlight any other issue with Option E) ?

Dear kinjiGC,
Yes, I see your point. I think what they are trying to say is "more highly educated" or "better educated."

Option (E) makes the classic subjective/objective comparison mistake.
UpskirT has higher educated employees than PreX
We know they are trying to compare company to company, but the construction suggests that they are comparing individual employees to a whole company. If logic tells us one thing, and grammar indicates another, then it's not a well-written sentence.

Does this make sense?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [0]
Given Kudos: 83
Schools: LBS '18
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Design (Transportation)
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
kinjiGC wrote:
Hi Mike,

Dear kinjiGC,
Yes, I see your point. I think what they are trying to say is "more highly educated" or "better educated."

We know they are trying to compare company to company, but the construction suggests that they are comparing individual employees to a whole company. If logic tells us one thing, and grammar indicates another, then it's not a well-written sentence.

Does this make sense?

But if we say 'Stacy eats apples quicker than Alex' ? Isn't that okay? And if it is, then why can't the one above be?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
gauravkaushik8591 wrote:
mikemcgarry wrote:
kinjiGC wrote:
Hi Mike,

Dear kinjiGC,

Does this make sense?

But if we say 'Stacy eats apples quicker than Alex' ? Isn't that okay? And if it is, then why can't the one above be?

Agree with this reasoning. Mike so how come the above sentence ( Stacy ...... Alex) is correct but the option E is not ??
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28580 [1]
Kudos
Expert Reply
gauravkaushik8591 wrote:

Dear gauravkaushik8591,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

First of all, let's keep the BIG picture in mind. This question is atrocious. It is of abysmal quality. Investing time in making sense of it is not necessarily going to help you prepare for the GMAT. Here's a much higher quality question, worth your energy & attention & reflection.
https://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/3263

Next, I will say --- how to put this delicately? --- the example sentence you gave might not be the most appropriate, because at least to American ears, it has what one might call off-color innuendos. Let's just choose a different sentence to discuss.
Fred writes letters faster than Howard.
Now, from the point of view of logic, we absolutely know what the sentence is trying to say --- we absolutely know that Fred can write letters, Howard can write letters, and Fred most certainly cannot write Howard, whatever that would mean. We know that, based on logic. BUT, whenever we have the grammatical structure:
[subject][verb][object][comparative]"than"[noun #3]
this structure contains grammatical ambiguity: is the third noun, after the word "than," being compared to the subject or to the object? Nothing in the grammar itself resolves that ambiguity.

The GMAT SC sets a very very high standard. It is not enough if a sentence leaves open grammatical ambiguity and then we have to use logic to resolve the ambiguity. By GMAT standards, that is not a well-written sentence. For the GMAT, a well-written sentence is one in which grammar and logic and rhetoric are all united in the message they are delivering. For the GMAT, a well-written sentence has structural integrity: every aspect of the sentence supports every other aspect of the sentence, and together, they present a united meaning that is powerful and clear. If the grammar leaves open ambiguity, and we need to resort to logic to shore up the opening left by the grammar, that is not a sentence with structural integrity.

Does all this make sense?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

This Question is Locked Due to Poor Quality
Hi there,
The question you've reached has been archived due to not meeting our community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Looking for better-quality questions? Check out the 'Similar Questions' block below for a list of similar but high-quality questions.
Want to join other relevant Problem Solving discussions? Visit our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum for the most recent and top-quality discussions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts