Last visit was: 04 Jun 2024, 05:03 It is currently 04 Jun 2024, 05:03
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51565 [1]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51565 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: Tips on Study Plan! 620 - 630 - 650, Need 720! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
lmariesanfrancisco wrote:
Thanks for your quick reply! And it's not the first time I've been told to take a chill pill - I appreciate the reality check.

I think you're right about "10 SCs a day." Instead of focusing on hitting a certain number, I should do less problems and really understand them. I also like your approach for the Quant.

I think my biggest problem is understanding how to analyze my mistakes. I read the answers and in my head I just think "ok, that makes sense" but don't always go back a few days later to redo the problem. I think this is especially important for quant.

Why don't you write down your analysis from some OG/official quant problems on this thread, and I'll have a look at it. Make it a testing case DS to make it extra sweet (or bitter)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
As far as weekly plans to follow, I recommend GMAT Clarity. It is great at helping you strike the right balance of plenty of prep but not too much, which seems to be something you are dealing with.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I wanted to post a quick update to this thread.

After I scored 650 on my last GMAT Prep, I took two weeks and really focused on filling out and reviewing my error log. In addition to my missed problems in the GMAT Prep, I completed/reviewed the MGMAT Question Banks for Number Properties, FDPs, and Word Translations. For verbal I did SC almost every day (snuck in some here and there at work) and practiced RC using GMAT Pill. I did the free Knewton SC and RC practice tests on GMAT club but not sure how accurate those were. I also did a MGMAT Question Bank on CR and did really well so didn't spend too much time on that section. I read through my "Why I made this mistake" column in my error log multiple times and went back and re-did the quant problems I missed in my last practice tests and the MGMAT Question Banks.

Last weekend, I took an MGMAT CAT and was so excited to see a 690 (Q45, V38)! Yeah, it's not 700 YET but since my progress has been so linear I hope I can keep up the trend. For Quant, I struggled mostly with Root/Exponents, Ratios, and Rate problems. I also ran out of time and had to guess on the last 3-4 problems. In reviewing my test, I also noticed I was kind of lucky and got a lot of guesses correct. For Verbal I only missed one SC (93%)! RC I had about 67% and CR was 50% which was a bit of a red flag.

This week I plan to work through the GMAT Pill CR and continue practicing RC. I also want to pull the root/exponent, ratio, and rate problems from the OG and work through those to secure my foundations on these topics. I am trying to decide if I should take another GMAT Prep this weekend or skip a weekend so I can benefit from additional study time. Thoughts? My test is 5/14 (about a month away).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT Date: 04-24-2014
GPA: 3.67
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
I wanted to post a quick update to this thread.

After I scored 650 on my last GMAT Prep, I took two weeks and really focused on filling out and reviewing my error log. In addition to my missed problems in the GMAT Prep, I completed/reviewed the MGMAT Question Banks for Number Properties, FDPs, and Word Translations. For verbal I did SC almost every day (snuck in some here and there at work) and practiced RC using GMAT Pill. I did the free Knewton SC and RC practice tests on GMAT club but not sure how accurate those were. I also did a MGMAT Question Bank on CR and did really well so didn't spend too much time on that section. I read through my "Why I made this mistake" column in my error log multiple times and went back and re-did the quant problems I missed in my last practice tests and the MGMAT Question Banks.

Last weekend, I took an MGMAT CAT and was so excited to see a 690 (Q45, V38)! Yeah, it's not 700 YET but since my progress has been so linear I hope I can keep up the trend. For Quant, I struggled mostly with Root/Exponents, Ratios, and Rate problems. I also ran out of time and had to guess on the last 3-4 problems. In reviewing my test, I also noticed I was kind of lucky and got a lot of guesses correct. For Verbal I only missed one SC (93%)! RC I had about 67% and CR was 50% which was a bit of a red flag.

This week I plan to work through the GMAT Pill CR and continue practicing RC. I also want to pull the root/exponent, ratio, and rate problems from the OG and work through those to secure my foundations on these topics. I am trying to decide if I should take another GMAT Prep this weekend or skip a weekend so I can benefit from additional study time. Thoughts? My test is 5/14 (about a month away).

I would save it for closer to test day. There's a pretty good article somewhere on here about going from a Q44 to a Q50 -- I was stuck at Q44 for about 3 months (granted, those were on MGMATs) and with some re-shifting of focus and more strategic studying, I've improved to a Q48 on two GMATprep tests, hopefully to be at Q49 by next week. For verbal, just keep breaking down every single answer choice in your sentence corrections. SC are the easiest way to improve on verbal, and if you get good enough you'll be able to zip through them and spend more time on CR and RC. I wholeheartedly believe that SC is the key to improving RC and CR, oddly enough.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Quote:
There's a pretty good article somewhere on here about going from a Q44 to a Q50 -- I was stuck at Q44 for about 3 months (granted, those were on MGMATs) and with some re-shifting of focus and more strategic studying, I've improved to a Q48 on two GMATprep tests, hopefully to be at Q49 by next week.

Thanks jtyee! I think I read that article but didn't find it too helpful. Can you tell me a little more about your strategies? I'm considering purchasing the MGMAT Advanced book but am worried it might be a waste of time. And good luck next week! Your 720 Prep score is solid - nice work!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT Date: 04-24-2014
GPA: 3.67
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:
There's a pretty good article somewhere on here about going from a Q44 to a Q50 -- I was stuck at Q44 for about 3 months (granted, those were on MGMATs) and with some re-shifting of focus and more strategic studying, I've improved to a Q48 on two GMATprep tests, hopefully to be at Q49 by next week.

Thanks jtyee! I think I read that article but didn't find it too helpful. Can you tell me a little more about your strategies? I'm considering purchasing the MGMAT Advanced book but am worried it might be a waste of time. And good luck next week! Your 720 Prep score is solid - nice work!

I'd say the most important adjustment I made was making flashcards for questions I got wrong, or hard questions that I got right but that I wasn't absolutely 100% sure on. Flashcards are better than an error log IMO. After thoroughly reading through and understanding a hard problem's explanation, I find that regurgitating the answer on the back of a flashcard really helps me reinforce what I just learned. If I can't write out the explanation on the flashcard without referring back to the forum explanation, then I know I need to spend more time comprehending it.

The last tip I have with flashcards is you need to keep "maintaining your deck". I've done every hard and medium quant problem in the GMATPrep software, as well as the add-on pack with hundreds more questions. I'm now going through as many gmatclub tests as I can. Obviously, I'm getting tons of questions wrong and adding more and more flashcards to my deck every night. It's important to take flashcards OUT of your deck which you now have a solid grasp on. So for me, questions about calculating the "sum of all even multiples of x between a and b" used to give me fits but I now have a solid grasp on them, so I've removed all of those questions from my deck of flashcards.

Oh and one more thing -- don't just add a flashcard to your deck for every single problem you get wrong. Be strategic about it. There are several questions which I got wrong that I didn't bother making flashcards for. There are a number of reasons for this: maybe it's a gmatclub problem and i am 100% positive i won't see anything this difficult on the real exam, or maybe I just simply know I'm not smart enough to replicate this solution on test day so I just cut my losses. I'm not going to waste my time making a flashcard and subsequently studying it if I know for sure it won't pay dividends on test day.

A final note about the MGMAT advanced book -- I read about half of it and didn't find it super helpful. Maybe that's because I took the MGMAT in-person course though and my instructor taught us a lot of the strategic speed guessing strategies.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Again, thanks so much jtyee - very helpful. I'm going to try your flashcard approach using excel and hide the answer column to practice answering the "back of the card." And I appreciate the note about MGMAT Advanced - at this point, I'm thinking my time could be better spent elsewhere. Best of luck to you!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
LMariesF - Sounds like we have a bit in common. I have gone 580-640-600-640-690.

I have been making flash cards for most of the questions I have got wrong as per jtyee suggestion, and that has helped. IMO the process of making the flash card is the same as keeping an error log and then reviewing the question. I then get my girlfriend to ask me questions off the flash cards and so I am forced to recall the error that I made, why I made it, and what the correct answer is. I think the key is being able to recall the error, and the correct way to answer the question - that way you can see it in the real test and deal with it.

I was also struggling with CR - I hammered that over the past 2 weeks and feel that is how I got my Verbal up to 40. I am doing very well on SC, just like you, my weaknesses were CR and RC, I felt I have dealt with CR over the past fortnight and it is time for me to move on to RC to get my speed up there and give me more time for the very hard CR and RC questions. CR - my issues were with the Strengthen and Weaken questions - really hammered those fundamentals again from the MGMAT guides. I did all of the >Moderate Strengthen/Weaken questions on the CR sections; the key point though, from what I had picked up here on strategy, was to go through all of the wrong answers and review why they were wrong. So each time I did a CR question, before I went through the explanation in the OG I would make a note against each answer ABCDE as to why it was wrong, was it reverse logic (strengthen instead of weaken, on a W question, or vice versa), was it Irrelevant, Out of Scope etc. I would then mark each ABCDE from the guide book. Not only did I want to get the correct answer, but I wanted to be correctly identifying why each incorrect answer was incorrect. At first I was misidentifying the reason why the answers were incorrect, but by the end I could regularly identify not only the correct answer, but why all the others were incorrect.

Then after doing all of that I did the MGMAT CR question bank and found I only got 2 errors out of 25.

I really think that approach could help you on CR.

I am logging my progress and strategy here if you want to see - https://gmatclub.com/forum/700-plus-or-bust-165136.html#p1357801
Manager
Manager
Send PM
710 on second take of GMAT Prep!!!! Q47, V40! I know this is a little inflated, but I don't care - I hit the 700 mark! My test is in 3 weeks so hopefully I can keep this up. I plan on taking an MGMAT CAT in a couple days to continue practicing stamina.

In terms of my review since the last test (690) I went through the GMAT Pill CR but I didn't find the frameworks too helpful, I think I just needed to practice. The practice definitely helped since I only missed 1 CR on this practice exam. The SC on this was pretty tough but I might just be rusty based on switched focus to CR the past couple of weeks.

For quant I just went through my error log and started going through OG13 starting from #50. I did 10 problems every 20 minutes in PS and DS and would review the error log every other day from old mistakes. I found that my major mistakes were on ratio and rate problems so I went through all of those OGs too.

I want to take two more GMAT Preps before my test on 5/14. Would anyone suggest purchasing the Exam Pack 1 to make sure my scores are not inflated?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Don't you have the MGMAT Cats?

They are so much better than GMAT Prep, you might not get as high maybe ~680-690 as they are slightly harder on quant. However, the analysis they give you is so much better than GMAT Prep.

If it is just for stamina, why not repeat GMAT CAT2 again? The other thing I have been doing for stamina is Jeff Sackman questions, sets of 37 timed.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
actionj wrote:
Don't you have the MGMAT Cats?

They are so much better than GMAT Prep, you might not get as high maybe ~680-690 as they are slightly harder on quant. However, the analysis they give you is so much better than GMAT Prep.

If it is just for stamina, why not repeat GMAT CAT2 again? The other thing I have been doing for stamina is Jeff Sackman questions, sets of 37 timed.

Yes I still have some MGMAT CATs left and I plan on doing one tomorrow; however, I find that the MGMAT CAT is much easier to look at than the GMATPrep software which unfortunately is an exact replica of what the test looks like. I want to practice taking the test looking at that screen since for some reason it's harder for me to digest the font and color scheme. I've also heard that GMAT Preps are MUCH closer to the actual thing which is why I want to solidify my score on there. Also, I find that the verbal is much harder which is where I want to focus/stay strong!

I'm reviewing my mistakes on the GMAT Prep quant and all of them seem so easy. I'm hoping this is how quant will be on the actual thing.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
lmariesf wrote:
actionj wrote:

I'm reviewing my mistakes on the GMAT Prep quant and all of them seem so easy. I'm hoping this is how quant will be on the actual thing.

I agree, the quant on MGMAT is definitely harder.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Welp, just took my fourth MGMAT and got a 650 - totally blew it on the quant! Q40 V39.

I really wasn't feeling it today and kind of just wanted to get the test over with. I could tell I was getting easier problems during the quant and probably could have gotten off to a better start. Should I be worried? I'm hoping this is just a result of taking a test two days after my last one, and the fact that my math skills were just off with MGMAT today.

I'm going to Hawaii for the next 5 days then have about a week to go before my test. I plan on taking two new GMAT preps in that timeframe.

All of my test breakdowns are as follows:
GMAT Prep1 - 620 (Q44 V32)
MGMAT 1 - 630 (Q40 V36)
GMAT Prep2 - 650 (Q44 V35)
MGMAT 2 - 690 (Q45 V38)
GMAT Prep1(Re-do) - 710 (Q47 V40)
MGMAT 3 - 650 (Q40 V39)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
It was always going to be a risk. Have you analysed the MGMAT Cat and worked out exactly where/why you got the Q40?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I plan on going through the Quant section tonight, but at first glance, I only got 33% of DS right which is weird because I'm usually better at DS. I also did poorly on exponents/roots (which I know is a weak area), word translations (rates and algebraic translations), and had 50% accuracy on geometry which I haven't reviewed in a while.

I'll probably focus on OG DS and PS this week and review my error log and just take two more GMAT Preps before the real deal on the 14th. I feel great about verbal now but definitely want to stay fresh!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yeah, your Verbal has solidified.

Exponents/roots can be tough - weak areas can be your undoing if you get 3-4 questions in that area.

With rates I improved after doing the Ron's - Thursdays with Ron guide to RT problems, plus also learning the combined rate formula for those, machine a and machine b are working separately, how fast if they work together problems. That helped there. https://www.gmathacks.com/gmat-math/gmat ... blems.html

Maybe it could help to take some flash cards with you on your holidays with the geo/exponents rules etc. on them.

Enjoy Hawaii, there are worse places to be.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks buddy! I'll check out the Thursdays w/ Ron and probably re-do the OGs for my week areas this week. Sucks I have to study on vacay but can probably get up early and get 1-2 hrs in before I hit the beach. I printed out the MGMAT flashcards and my error log to review while I get a tan :)
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2