Last visit was: 23 May 2024, 13:31 It is currently 23 May 2024, 13:31
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7  ...  66   
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [1]
Given Kudos: 145
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2017 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink]
Kudos
onion253 wrote:
Hello everybody! I am planning to reapply to Tuck this year. Should I sign up for a new account? I cannot seem to sign in to my previous application. Could anybody please clarify. Thanks!

This is taken from the application login:
"4. Re-applicants: If you submitted an application in the last admission cycle, please create a new account by clicking on the 'Create Account' button. Please use the same E-mail address you have used on your prior application(s) to Tuck. If you receive an error while attempting to create a new account, please click on 'Forgot your User Name or Password?' and then enter your E-mail address. We may have created new credentials for you if you have sent us new test scores, for example, after your last application submission."

Hope this helps! I am also a re-applicant!
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Club Spotlight: Entrepreneurship Club

For the past two months, I’ve enjoyed a memorable and entrepreneurial summer internship while also fulfilling goals I set when starting at Tuck. But, before getting into those details, I want to share the goal and mandate of the Entrepreneurship Club, which introduced me to some great folks who supported me as I sought an “off-the-beaten-path” summer.

In a nutshell, the E-Ship Club helps Tuckies build the skills needed to start a business, whether today or in the future.  We create a supportive community that not only brings together like-minded people with an array of experiences, but is also there for you during those long months when many friends pursuing more “traditional career paths” already have their summer offers (note: the e-ship recruiting cycle is later in the year).  For 2014/15, we’re planning workshops, brainstorming sessions, happy hours and guest speakers that will complement the e-ship curriculum, connect you to professors and include you in the larger Tuck and Dartmouth e-ship community.  Can’t wait!

Last year, the encouragement of T’14 E-Ship Club members gave me the confidence boost I needed to seek an internship in an industry and role that was completely different from my previous life in consulting.  I found a role at a startup in an industry I am incredibly passionate about: health, wellness & fitness.

I’m spending my summer with Misfit, an innovative wearable devices company based in San Francisco.  In my commercial sales and business development role, I have had opportunities to engage with human resources executives at prominent international companies.  An additional perk: travel to Miami, Baltimore, and my personal favorite, Lake Tahoe, where I represented Misfit at the Century Golf Tournament (see photo above).  Now, I am by no means a talented golfer, but in this case, I didn’t mind given that I was surrounded by pretty incredible athletes: Jerry Rice, Steve Young, and my personal favorite, at least partially due to the Tuck hockey spirit, TJ Oshie.

For the past two months I have been developing skills that I will use regardless of my path immediately after Tuck.  Experience in sales will be especially critical when I am one day seeking funding to start my own company.  I have a month left with Misfit, and ending the role will be bittersweet (bitter: end of a great experience; sweet: getting back to Tuck!).

Can’t wait to meet all of the new, entrepreneurially-minded Tuckies back in Hanover. Until then, enjoy your summer adventures!

-- Ewa Kisilewicz (ewa.kisilewicz.tu15@tuck.dartmouth.edu)
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
Send PM
Hi 2 all!
Im in for R1!

Will be in Hanover 03/10 and plan to stay for a night there!

Anxious to experience a friday night in Hanover.
Anyone visiting the same dates?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
EugyMo wrote:
Hi 2 all!
Im in for R1!

Hi 1st year here. It may be pretty quiet in Hanover on the 3/10 because that's during the break between Fall A and Fall B. Most 1st years will be out of town on a consulting or banking trek and may not be back yet. Not 100% sure since we haven't got the schedule for the treks yet.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Duke '17 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
Send PM
EugyMo wrote:
Hi 2 all!
Im in for R1!

I'll be up 03 Oct too for a class visit and interview. I went up for the Summer Visit Day. There were no students around but it was great nonetheless. Shoot me a PM is you wanna meet up.
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Creating Memorable Essays…..and memorable in a good way
What if I did this blog in haiku format? That might be fun. It might get me noticed and it could get me some style points with readers out there, but how much could I truly express?

On the flip side, what if I ignored all word limits and keep writing and writing? That might also get me noticed, too, but not in a good way.

When was the last time you tackled the task of essay writing for an audience? Perhaps you have not written an essay since your college applications or maybe you write every day, but only for yourself. Regardless of your writing fitness, we are likely asking a unique question for submission to a unique audience (the admissions committee). This may require reflection and inspiration.  There are places I go for inspiration that help me set the stage for creative and focused thought. Find these places for yourself. Sometimes I let my mind wander while swimming  laps during my morning workout, sometimes mid-afternoon I walk down Tuck Drive to our food truck for a giant cookie (yes, food for thought), and sometimes I brainstorm with a colleague. These actions help shake up my thoughts so they eventually align on the page.  

Over the years we have changed the number of required essays as well as the content of essay questions, but we continue to ask for essays (just two this year!) because we value the expression of your candidacy in this format. Essays are a piece of the Tuck application because we are truly interested in your answers. A memorable essay draws authentic connections between you and Tuck. This will not be a laundry list of buzz words or faculty names from our website. A memorable essay is clear and reflects who you are as a person, what you hope to get out of the program, and how you will be able to contribute.

There are many things to think about when crafting an essay for your Tuck application, but I am going to keep it simple and focus on three:

1-Answer the question

2-Use your own voice

3-Proofread

Answering the question

This is tough because it requires focus. There are likely numerous details you would like to share with the committee about your candidacy. Through the many facets of our application, plus the interview, you will have the opportunity to do so. For now, though, the specific essay question you are looking at is your priority. Essays are a chance for you to really tell your story.  Be sure you understand the questions and that you answer the question that is asked.  That may sound obvious, but many applicants try to make an essay they wrote for another school fit the question, or they may use the question as an opportunity to say what they want to say instead of what the committee has asked.  Please leave your worries behind and answer the question before you.

Using only your voice

Tell us your story in a natural and honest way.  Tell us what you really think, not what you think the admissions committee wants to hear.  Your response should be descriptive, straightforward and sincere.  Take time to think, then write – these are not easy questions to answer. 

Proofread

Typos create a poor impression, and inserting the wrong school name in your essay creates a VERY poor impression. Unfortunately, it happens. Find a friend who can give your essay a second look. You have probably read it a dozen times and might need a set of fresh eyes. Spell check and grammar check are a great start, but double check these checks….and then you will really be getting somewhere!

We look forward to learning more about you and reading your essays this year!
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Club Spotlight: Education Club

The Tuck Education Club is a student-run organization that promotes awareness of education issues at Tuck and acts as a resource for students interested in a career in education. While most of our classmates will not pursue careers in education, they will be exposed to issues in the education system over the course of their careers. Whether as a parent of a student or a leader charged with developing a company’s human capital, all people have an incentive to understand how education impacts their lives and society at large.

This past year, the club organized two career treks (in New York and Boston) to learn more about potential job opportunities and to connect with Tuck alums working in education. We also attended the Education Leadership Conference at Yale School of Management, which gave us the opportunity to learn more about the current education reform landscape and connect with students at other business schools.

Next year, we plan to maintain the club’s career focus and build more awareness around the important role that education plays in society. We also look forward to developing relationships with education club leaders at other business schools to build a network of like-minded MBA students. We hope to continue building and growing the Education Club’s presence at Tuck!
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Interview Registration is Open!!
Tuck’s interview cycle for the class of 2017 begins in just a few short weeks and I highly recommend that you register for your interview as soon as possible. Interviews are available on a first come, first served basis and tend to book up very quickly.

This is an amazing opportunity for you to stand out in your application and to let us know why you think Tuck is the best place for you.  Your visit will include your interview, class visit (depending on availability), lunch and tour with students and a Q&A session with an Admissions Officer.

If possible, I highly recommend that you schedule your interview before you submit your application. I have heard so many students say how helpful this was to them during the process because they were able to experience Tuck’s unique environment first-hand and still had time to tweak their essays before clicking the submit button.  But if you can’t interview prior to submitting your application don’t worry about it.  The interview deadlines are typically a few weeks after the application deadline giving you ample time to complete your interview. Make sure you check out our important dates page for interview deadlines and to make sure that you don’t miss out on this unique opportunity.

Some tips that may be helpful for you:

1. Register for you interview as soon as possible:

Most applicants try to squeeze in the interview within a few weeks of the interview deadline, which means if you wait to book your interview you may find that there are no more spaces available. I tend to receive many panicked emails and phone calls from people who waited too long and missed out on this great opportunity, so make sure that this doesn’t happen to you!

2. Interview midweek:

Mondays and Fridays tend to be our busiest days and usually book to capacity. I know that it can be difficult to arrange time off from work and travel, but you may end up coming on a day that is less crowded and potentially allows for more one-on-one time.

We really want you to enjoy your visit here and hope that you leave campus loving Tuck as much as we do. Ask the students those questions you have been dying to ask. Don’t be shy at the Q&A and ask Pat, Amy or Kristin those difficult application questions that have been racking your brain (also another great reason why it’s nice to interview before submitting the application!).

I hope to see you in Hanover soon! 

Cheers,

Gelsey
Current Student
Send PM
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFknbXJWoI0[/youtube]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
Send PM
domotron wrote:
EugyMo wrote:
Hi 2 all!
Im in for R1!

Will be in Hanover 03/10 and plan
to stay for a night there!

Hi 1st year here. It may be pretty quiet in Hanover on the 3/10 because that's during the break between Fall A and Fall B. Most 1st years will be out of town on a consulting or banking trek and may not be back yet. Not 100% sure since we haven't got the schedule for the treks yet.

Hello! Thanks for the comment! Yeah, i already saw that there will be no class visit during that week. Unfortunately i cannt take another date. Im from Russia, and all my trip to the US is already booked And planned. Well i hope at least to have a talk with someone from the admissions office and explore the campus by myself.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
Send PM
DLEmba wrote:
EugyMo wrote:
Hi 2 all!
Im in for R1!

I'll be up 03 Oct too for a class visit and interview. I went up for the Summer Visit Day. There were no students around but it was great nonetheless. Shoot me a PM is you wanna meet up.

Hi! That would be great! Ill send you a PM later! By the way, there will be no class visit, only the interview :(

Current Student
Send PM
Sk1ver wrote:
domotron wrote:
EugyMo wrote:
Hi 2 all!
Im in for R1!

Hello! Thanks for the comment! Yeah, i already saw that there will be no class visit during that week. Unfortunately i cannt take another date. Im from Russia, and all my trip to the US is already booked And planned. Well i hope at least to have a talk with someone from the admissions office and explore the campus by myself.

Don't worry I actually ended up interviewing during the same break last year, there are still some 2nd years who run the campus tours. The only difference is just that you cannot sit in a class!
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Club Spotlight: General Management

Some industry clubs are centered on a function (like marketing, consulting, etc) and others are centered on an industry (health care, technology, etc.). And then there’s general management. It’s not really a single function and it’s definitely not an industry. It ends up being a catchall for a lot of post-MBA jobs, many of which overlap with some of those other industry clubs. For example, brand management for CPG companies is often considered a general management role, albeit with a strong focus on marketing. I’m personally spending my summer working for a health care company in a leadership development (i.e. general management) program.

While there is a lot of variety in the roles that fall into this club, there are also a lot of commonalities amongst them.

Two common types of roles coming out of school for those pursuing a general management path are leadership development programs and corporate strategy project-type roles. Here is a short, but hopefully representative, list of how some of my classmates interested in general management are spending their summers:

• Cargill – Strategy & Business Development
  • Amazon – Retail Leadership Development Program
  • Severstal – Future Leaders Program
  • CVS Caremark – Internal Strategy
  • Vanguard – Leadership Development Program
  • British Telecom – Leadership Program
  • Cognizant – Business Development
  • Danaher – GM Development Program

These are examples that fit nicely into the “general management” bucket, but as a club, we are really here to help fellow students get into whatever role or company they want. Fairly quickly after first year students arrive on campus, second-years begin helping them in the recruiting process, which starts by identifying the various opportunities out there and the differences between them. The General Management Club also organizes career treks to visit companies in cities of interest. As the recruiting process continues, we facilitate second-years helping out first-years with everything from resumes and cover letters through to interview prep and deciding which offer to take. I was someone that took advantage of my classmates a year ahead of me every step of the way and, without fail, they were extremely open and willing to help me out. So while many of these activities are probably not unique to Tuck, the way in which I had mentors and friends to help me all along the way was very much in line with what I hoped for from the Tuck community.

- 2014-15 Co-Chair, Isaac Ipson
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V42
WE:Corporate Finance (Journalism and Publishing)
Send PM
GMAT is finally out of the way, and interview is scheduled for 9/24. Super excited.
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: How to Avoid Common Applicant Mistakes
When you think about this topic, it’s easy to come up with a lot of “don’ts”. But I believe in being positive, so instead of telling you what you shouldn’t do, let’s focus on what you should do.

1. Read the directions. Admissions offices spend a great deal of time crafting application materials, instructions, and FAQs that explain pretty much everything you need to know to complete your application. So read carefully and thoroughly. You will not create a positive impression by asking a question you could have easily found the answer to elsewhere. If you have a question you can’t find the answer to, ask.

2. Answer the question you’re asked. This goes for interview and essay questions as well as other parts of the application. We ask these questions because we want to know the answer. Fill out the application completely. Be aware that your interviewer will know when you’re avoiding a question. And while many schools may ask about your goals, for example, each might ask in a different way. Writing one essay to fit every school will come across as insincere (see #3).

3. Be yourself. The Admissions Committee wants to know the real you, not who you think we want you to be. It’s hard to write compelling essays and speak cogently about your experiences and goals when you’re busy trying to get into the admissions officer’s or interviewer’s head. And you’ll come across as canned and dull. Tell us who you are, what drives you every day in and out of work, and why the MBA program at Tuck is key to achieving your aspirations.

4. Proofread. Proofread everything, and I mean everything, you write – emails, letters, your application, your resume, and your essays. They are reflections of you as an applicant and we look at them all. Make them great representations of the student you will be.

5. Explain anything that isn’t clear. Most schools offer you the opportunity to explain anything unusual in your application through an optional essay. Please use it if you think you need to. So those of you with a big career switch, a job gap, an unusual choice of recommenders, or an outlier grade or semester in your academic record can feel free to write a line or two explaining the situation to the Admissions Committee.

6. Show interest, but don’t stalk. OK, I tried to stay positive, but some things just need to be said. We want to get to know you, each of you; however, there are THOUSANDS of you. Literally. So talk to us at events, schedule a campus visit, ask pertinent questions, and demonstrate your interest in our school. But that doesn’t mean stopping by without a purpose, asking meaningless questions, or sending profuse amounts of extraneous materials with your application. It may help you stand out, but not in a good way.

7. Pay attention to what we’ve asked for and when. We set policies and deadlines because there are thousands of you and we could not do justice to each of your applications if everyone had different requirements. So please ask for exceptions only for a very, very good reason. That said, if you have a very, very good reason – for example, a hurricane affecting large sections of the East Coast (yes, I’m looking at you, Hurricane Sandy) – don’t stress out. Just communicate with us.

We host a multitude of events around the world, at Tuck, and online to help you connect, learn more about Tuck and the admissions process, and ask questions. Keep up-to-date on what’s happening through our events calendar and by following us on social media. Good luck!
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: From Military to MBA

I’ve written about this before but it bears repeating: MBA programs value students with military experience. At Tuck, our military students bring a high level of leadership, teamwork, grace under pressure, and gravitas to the community. They contribute strongly in the classroom and to their study groups and project teams. Military MBAs have proven themselves in multiple areas and recruiters value the knowledge and experience they add, gained from their years of service and from their MBA education.

Service members and veterans have a lot to grapple with as they consider whether an MBA is right for them. What will I gain from an MBA program? Where can I go with an MBA? What will it cost? What type of program is the best fit? As in much of life, the answers to these questions aren’t clear cut and immutable. So much depends on you. But as you consider the next step, keep the following in mind:

MBA Value

An MBA is a versatile degree. Tuck’s general management program gives you a rigorous foundation in all aspects of business. You’ll learn how to transition your leadership skills into a civilian environment, how to create a financial model, and how to analyze a company’s marketing strategy. You’ll learn about the consulting, finance, manufacturing, consumer packaged goods, and energy industries. This helps you build a portfolio of skills and experience that will be invaluable throughout your career.

Career Choices

Many military veterans will find they have opportunities to land great jobs as they transition out of service. The choice to do an MBA is based not only on what you want to do in your first job out of the military, but also on what you want to do 5, 10, and 20 years out. With your MBA knowledge, the experiential learning you’ll receive in your MBA, and an amazing network of peers, faculty, and staff at your fingertips, you’ll have the ability to move in almost any direction you want, now and in the future.

The Bottom Line

Various schools offer differing levels of support to veterans, on top of what you’re eligible for from your VA benefits. You’ll want to be sure you understand your VA benefits eligibility and understand what the school offers. At Tuck, we participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program without limitation on the number of enrolled veterans. Our maximum funding level for 2014 – 2015 is $18,000, which makes your financial obligations much smaller as you move through the program. The VA offers a great website, the GI Bill Comparison Tool, which will help you learn more about what each school offers. One caveat: always double check the information you get with the schools themselves, as things can change.

Best Fit

This requires both soul searching and school research to determine best fit. All applicants need to consider the program size they prefer, the location that works best for them, the program’s distinctions from other MBA programs, as well as many other factors. Specific areas that active-duty military and veterans may want to think about are environment, financial support, percentage of veterans in the school/program, personalized support with academic and career issues, and special programs for veterans. Dartmouth College and Tuck have a long history of support for veterans. Many of our military students come to Tuck with partners and families. You’ll find Tuck’s environment welcoming; your family becomes as much a part of our community as you do. Tuck’s personal scale offers veterans access to our financial aid staff, career coaches, academic support, and other resources when you need it. Five percent of our class have US military experience, so they know the challenges of transitioning, and they form our active Armed Forces Alumni Association. And, our close-knit community translates into a close-knit alumni network that is responsive, enthusiastic, and devoted to Tuck and their fellow alumni.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V42
WE:Corporate Finance (Journalism and Publishing)
Send PM
I decided to take my girlfriend and dog on a last minute trip up to Hanover for the holiday. Will be there for the afternoon on Sunday and the day on Monday.

Can any alums recommend local places to see, places to eat, and maybe some place where we can take the dog? Would love to get a more authentic feel for what it's actually like to call Hanover home.

Thanks!

Eric
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7  ...  66   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6939 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts