It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 21:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2017 - Calling All Applicants!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 105

Schools: Tuck '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2017 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2014, 17:53
erahn1 wrote:
I decided to take my girlfriend and dog on a last minute trip up to Hanover for the holiday. Will be there for the afternoon on Sunday and the day on Monday.

Can any alums recommend local places to see, places to eat, and maybe some place where we can take the dog? Would love to get a more authentic feel for what it's actually like to call Hanover home.

Thanks!

Eric

I've only been here just under 3 weeks, in terms of eateries in Hanover the options are Murphy's (Tuckies hangout), Molly's, Thai Orchid and Canoe Club, which is the one of the best places to eat in Hanover I hear. The Hanover Inn also has a restaurant but you may need to book as it is fairly up market.

Things to see - can't help you too much but there are a ton of trails locally (the AT trail actual goes through Hanover).

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 5

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2014, 08:06
Hi - Quick question about the interview process. Does Tuck expect applicants to complete the written application before scheduling the interview? I can't tell from the website. It seems reasonable to me that they would want to have our profile and essays in advance, but maybe they don't rely on those inputs for the interview.

Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 5

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 18

GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Other (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2014, 09:51
Hokie2MBA wrote:
Hi - Quick question about the interview process. Does Tuck expect applicants to complete the written application before scheduling the interview? I can't tell from the website. It seems reasonable to me that they would want to have our profile and essays in advance, but maybe they don't rely on those inputs for the interview.

Thanks!

No, you can complete the interview before you submit your application. The open period begins soon and the deadline for EA is still a sold month away. When you schedule your interview Tuck asks you to email your resume a few days before the interview date. I believe the only thing your interviewer will have access to is the resume. However, I would feel more comfortable having submitted my app because then I would have a better sense of what Tuck wanted and what my narrative is.

BSchool Forum Moderator

Schools: Tuck '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2014, 09:52
Hokie2MBA wrote:

Thanks!

No all you require is a resume that the interviewer can review and that you have created an account. In fact I would encourage you to interview before submitting the written application. It may be that you don't feel it's the right place for you in which case you won't have to waste your time writing the essays!

I interviewed prior to submitting my applications last year and my visit to tuck provided a lot of info that I used on my essay.

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2014, 09:59
domotron wrote:
In fact I would encourage you to interview before submitting the written application. It may be that you don't feel it's the right place for you in which case you won't have to waste your time writing the essays!

I interviewed prior to submitting my applications last year and my visit to tuck provided a lot of info that I used on my essay.

Good point.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2014, 04:45
Has anyone looked at or started the scholarship application? It asks for estimated 2013 taxes and income, which seems weird since most people would have had their 2013 taxes completed by now. Should the app be asking for estimated 2014 income and taxes?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2014, 10:00
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Tuck’s Class of 2016 - Accomplished and Diverse
One of my favorite things to do as the Director of Admissions at Tuck is to welcome a new group of excited first-year students to campus.  Throughout the summer, the incoming class gradually transitions from the Admissions Office to the MBA Program Office, where they will be very well taken care of for the next two years.  This transition is unofficially finalized during orientation week, when I address the entire class and introduce Sally Jaeger, Assistant Dean and Director of the MBA Program. 

During this period, I receive a lot of heartfelt gratitude from the new students for admitting them. Though I appreciate their thoughtfulness, I always remind them that the Admissions Committee didn’t do them a favor by offering them admission – they have truly earned their place at Tuck and my welcome speech exemplifies their diverse accomplishments. 

It’s also a great reminder that there is no such thing as a perfect candidate or a fool-proof formula for admission.  Everyone brings a diverse background and unique set of experiences that allow us to craft a well-rounded class.  This video showcases just a few accomplishments among the class of 2016. 

Though your place at Tuck is certainly not contingent on having hiked the Grand Canyon or having served as a military officer, it does speak to the high caliber of our students as well as the diverse experience they bring to their classmates and to our community.  Now that the class of 2016 has arrived on campus and classes have begun, it’s time for my team here in the Admissions Office to look forward to learning about the impressive accomplishments of those who will become the class of 2017!

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 12

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.2
WE: Corporate Finance (Retail)

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2014, 07:14
I wonder whether an applicant who gets a score below 700 in GMAT should try his chance in Tuck in January round. I mean does a score below 700 (lets say somewhere around 650) have a chance to get an acceptance or not? To be honest, the academic success of prospective students and class profiles led me to think a score below 700, especially somewhere around 650, will never have a chance for to be a Tuckie..

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 12

2 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 192 [2], given: 145

Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2014, 09:47
This post received
KUDOS
Hello,

We recently got a chance to talk to a prominent GMATClub member and recent Tuck admit - Domotron - and get his opinions on Tuck's MBA program and application process. Here are the excerpts from the discussion.

Who would be an ideal applicant to your program based on admissions, culture, and the program in general?
Domotron:- There is no such thing as the ideal applicant for Tuck I think. That being said, successful applicants must demonstrate a good understanding of the Tuck culture and how they would fit into the supportive community. Otherwise, the traits Tuck looks for are very similar to other schools: intellectual horsepower, strong work experience, interesting extracurriculars whether it be sports or volunteering, and strong ethics.

GPA, GMAT, Application Essays, Interview, Work Experience, and Extra Curricular. If you asked to arrange these parameters in the order of their importance at HBS – what would it be?
Domotron:- I honestly believe that Tuck utilizes a holistic approach to the application process. That being said, the quality of the class is very high so you cannot have a significant unaddressed weakness in any one aspect of your application.

What advantage, if any, is there in applying in a specific round over another?
Domotron:- EA round is definitely an advantage for those that know they are serious about Tuck. Historically, admit rates is just as strong in the November round as EA round. January round tends to be the most popular and after that it is tough as there are just fewer unfilled spots left.

Are the on-campus and off-campus interviews treated equally or there is any preference to one over other?
Domotron:- The Tuck admissions are very clear that they prefer candidates to interview on campus if at all possible. For candidates that are strong in interviews, you ensure that you get an opportunity to demonstrate this without having to wait for an invite. It could be the difference between an admit and a ding.

Do you recommend a school visit? Is it a must?
Domotron:- Due to its location, it is important to visit to make sure Tuck is the right place for you. You will also be able to get a sense what the Tuck community is all about. Fit is incredibly important at Tuck and you are doing yourself a disservice by not visiting and interviewing if possible.

How important is the school visit for an applicant?? Does that really play any role in strengthening application?
Domotron:- It is very important for any school. I felt after my school visits that I could better articulate why a school was right for me (or in some instances realized it was a poor fit).

Can you comment on the Employment process of the school? What support do students get from Career Services dept, peers, and alumni?
Domotron:- As a first year, I am only getting a glimpse into the recruiting process. However the list of companies that visit campus is extremely impressive. The toughest thing is organizing your schedule to make sure you can attend all the sessions you want to. Overall the Career Development Office has done a great job getting in touch early in the first year.

Which companies (and from which sectors) generally recruit in the school? How strong school’s alumni network is?

Domotron:- At a first glance, I would say Tuck gets all the major management consultancies, IBs, GM firms on campus. The Tuck alumni network, though smaller than most schools, is extremely strong. There are many stories of people getting jobs through referrals or conversations from alumni.

Which student clubs or groups are in the school? What social and philanthropic opportunities and opportunities to get involved in leadership roles one can get in these groups?
Domotron:- Tuck has a class of 280, therefore there are leadership opportunities available for those that want them. In fact, it is difficult to sit back and not get involved. Tripod hockey is a big party of the Tuck social life but there are a good variety of fun or professional clubs to get involved in.

Is there anything related to Financial Aid worth a mention?
Domotron:- The financial aid system is fairly straightforward at Tuck. For scholarships, you have to submit a separate essay to be considered. Otherwise, there are a variety of loan providers available including a non US-cosigner loan option for international students.

Can you think of a few good and bad reasons for applicants to reach out to current students? Eps. Before submitting an application?
Domotron:- There are no bad reasons for reaching out. Tuck students love to help and encourage people to reach out. The more people you speak to, the better you will understand the Tuck community. Finally, you never know who may put in a good word for you to a member of the admissions committee![/textarea]

Kudos [?]: 192 [2], given: 145

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2014, 18:27
wluck wrote:
Has anyone looked at or started the scholarship application? It asks for estimated 2013 taxes and income, which seems weird since most people would have had their 2013 taxes completed by now. Should the app be asking for estimated 2014 income and taxes?

it's the same form as last year so I think that's why the dates are off. they probably mean 2014.

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2014, 18:30
bagcanbabayigit wrote:
I wonder whether an applicant who gets a score below 700 in GMAT should try his chance in Tuck in January round. I mean does a score below 700 (lets say somewhere around 650) have a chance to get an acceptance or not? To be honest, the academic success of prospective students and class profiles led me to think a score below 700, especially somewhere around 650, will never have a chance for to be a Tuckie..

the 80% range is 680-760. That means people do get in with lower than a 680 (maybe a 650), but they must be super impressive in other aspects of their app.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2014, 08:00
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: The Earlier the Better – Tuck Tech Boot Camp
Jacob Crandall, is a T'16 who grew up in Buffalo, NY and attended Case Western Reserve University, graduating with a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering.  Upon graduation he worked at Newry Corp., a small consulting firm in Cleveland focusing on helping industrial and CPG clients develop growth strategies for new and existing products.  He currently leads a strategic planning and analytics group in the Global Procurement organization at Deutsche Bank in New York City.  At Tuck, he plans to participate in the Tuck Student Consulting Services, Tuck Wine Society, and of course, Tripod Hockey amongst many other things.

While attending a Global Tuck Tails (i.e. happy hour for Tuckies) in New York City last month, a T’15 asked me if I was starting to get excited about attending Tuck in the fall. When I mentioned that I would actually be going on my first Tuck trip in the following weeks to learn more about recruiting for the tech industry, he said, “Wow, you guys are starting really early. That sounds really cool.” This fact was not lost on The Wall Street Journal either. As new MBA students enter their first year, they are bombarded with recruiting presentations from myriad companies, so the opportunity to begin to form thoughts around whether a particular space sounded interesting ahead of time seemed like a great idea. With all that said, I think there were a number of very important takeaways from the first annual Tuck Silicon Valley Boot Camp:

Sustained Networking. The tech industry follows a similar path for recruiting as it does for ventures: it’s very entrepreneurial. Early on in our visit to the Bay Area, the Tuck Career Development Office (CDO) shared some great stats with us regarding tech recruiting. Unlike many of the “standard” post-MBA recruiting paths (see consulting and investment banking), tech tends to mostly recruit later in the year (March and April) due to a lack of future visibility in resourcing requirements at many companies. Many students may take this to mean that if they want to recruit in tech they can wait until January or February to start looking for a role, but it is quite the opposite. Tech, as much as any other industry, requires building relationships with potential future employers. Many of the Tuck panelists we spoke with mentioned the need of doing this early in the academic year and nurturing those relationships throughout the year. A great way to build relationships is to offer up your services to some of the companies you want to work for; there’s simply no better interview than one where you can demonstrate your skills firsthand. Another great way to network is to get in front of your potential employer early and often, which leads to the next takeaway…

If you want to be in Silicon Valley, then be in Silicon Valley. If you are looking to recruit in tech (and want to be in the Bay Area) it is very likely you will be travelling there often, especially if you want to work at a smaller firm or a startup. As you will learn during your time at Tuck, most second-years don’t actually start their post-MBA jobs until three to six months after graduation. Those wanting to work in tech often forgo job offers in other areas and simply move out to the Bay Area after graduation to spend that transition time finding their perfect role as opposed to having it lined up ahead of time. We heard about this firsthand from Maggie Misztal T’14, who, having interned in corporate strategy, decided that what she really wanted was a job that combined health care and technology and that also made the world a better place. She knew she wanted to be in the Bay Area and spent countless hours nurturing relationships with contacts (both Tuckies and non-Tuckies) to land her perfect role. Aside from the networking aspect, the Bay Area offers opportunities that simply don’t exist everywhere. John Gronberg T’11 discussed the startup he helped found, which was very quickly (though not necessarily in tech-industry terms) acquired by Yahoo through a social interaction his team had with some other folks in the industry. Both of these examples also point to awareness of what is going on in tech, which leads to my final point…

Be Tech Conscious. At Google, we learned that when it comes to MBA hires, the company is looking for people who have both a passion for and knowledge of the tech industry. This was a theme we heard about time and time again from both Tuckies and non-Tuckies alike that we spoke with on the trek. Isabella Liu, a T’15 who is interning for Intel, mentioned the importance of getting better acquainted with programming languages, specifically SQL, which is becoming more and more important when dealing with Big Data given that Excel is no longer adequate. At OpenTable, we heard about the importance of design thinking, which was echoed by Maggie Misztal, who recommended that we take a design class at Dartmouth. Lastly, simply being up to date on the major trends in the industry is extremely important as it gives you topics to discuss in both networking situations and interviews. Some examples of ways to do so include subscribing to Tech Crunch, Bay Area Tech Wire, and VentureBeat, or simply creating Google alerts for companies you are interested in. Many times, your best way to start a conversation with an alum will come through an article you see about their company. To paraphrase a recruiter from Google, the more you are aware of what is happening in the tech space, the better you will be able to identify what you’re passionate about and the easier it will be to convince a potential employer that they need to hire you.

To sum it up, after four days of presentations, dinners, winery tours, and networking with Tuck alums, it is clear that the Bay Area is a thriving place for innovation, intelligent people, and entrepreneurial endeavors (both within large companies and small startups). There are a multitude of roles available to MBA grads in product management, sales, marketing, strategy, and analytics, to name a few—all of which you will undoubtedly hear much more about during tech club meetings and company presentations during the beginning of your first year. Many of my fellow boot campers and I came away with a much better understanding of what a job in tech would look like and the best way to get there. I have no doubt that this type of trip will catch on and continue year after year, perhaps even in other industry areas.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Current Student

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2014, 18:30
politricks wrote:
wluck wrote:

it's the same form as last year so I think that's why the dates are off. they probably mean 2014.

Do you think we should go ahead and fill it in with 2014 info? or wait and see if they update the form?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2014, 07:00
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: On My Way to Tuck. First Stop: Silicon Valley
Apurva Sacheti is a T'16 and has past entrepreneurial experience in the quick service restaurant and e-learning sectors in India. Apurva completed his bachelor of engineering in electronics and communication from Birla Institute of Technology Mesra in 2009, where he also chaired the IET Student Chapter Technical Club.

“Even average ideas pick up $20 million in the Valley!”

This comment—made by one of the speakers during our recent Silicon Valley Boot Camp, an event organized by Tuck's Career Development Office—was not meant to be taken literally, it did hint at the over-importance we assign to “big ideas.” So if a great idea is not the only thing that makes companies special in California’s Silicon Valley, what does?

Here are five things I learned that do:

1. Tech Mindset. Don’t get me wrong, this isn’t anything to do with being an engineer. It’s about how you embrace technology. It’s about believing that small leaps in technology can make aspects of life simpler. An entrepreneurial attitude and an ability to survive in ambiguity are core traits of this mindset too.

2. Fitting in. Companies in Silicon Valley seem to prioritize fit, and rightly so. Cultural fit is a necessity for working at most companies here. And it’s not limited to startups. Take for example Google, which is known to look for ‘Googliness’ in their prospective employees.

3. Finding good problems to solve. Finding solutions isn’t as difficult as finding the right problems to solve. Many of these companies have very carefully chosen which market problems they should invest their time in.

4. Building respect. While this is arguably a standard across all industries, geographies, and functions, it seemed very clear that people who have fulfilled commitments and worked on some quality technology projects and ventures in the Valley over time draw in the best talent, the most funding, and the right connections.

5. Food. Most of these companies provide free food or snacks for their employees. I cannot emphasize the important role this plays in employee productivity. (People who know me would say I’m biased here.)

Most budding and well-established technology companies in Silicon Valley take pride in their talented teams, unique work environment, and commitment-driven work ethos—factors that are sometimes overshadowed by the importance of just having a big idea.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 44 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2014, 07:00
This post received
KUDOS
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Beyond Hanover: Tuck Love in the Pacific Northwest

I take my job as QLC (Quality of Life chair, a real position on the student board), very seriously.  On campus and off, I am always looking for ways to bring Tuckies together in meaningful and fun ways.  Also, going three months without seeing my favorite people in the world (Tuckies!) made me sink into depression.  Hence, the impetus for planning a little “Tuck Pacific Northwest Trek” that occurred in late August.  I also wanted to show off what I consider God’s country (true confession – it was also a secret marketing campaign to try to get more Tuckies to move to Seattle after graduation … hopefully it works!).  Here are some of the highlights from the weekend, as evidenced through some amateur iPhone photography:

Friday tour of downtown, including Pike Place Market and the Space Needel (Michael Needel so perfectly posing with the “other” Needle). 

ImageImage

Friday afternoon Flywheel class (fun fact – I teach Flywheel spin classes so anyone who comes to visit me is pretty much required to ride with me):

Friday night BBQ overlooking downtown Seattle:

(Not pictured:  nine Tuckies sleeping over at my parents’ house – pillow forts aren’t just for kids!)

Saturday ferry and boating adventure in the San Juan Islands (an oasis of natural beauty about two hours northwest of Seattle, only accessible by ferry or seaplane) to a hidden Oyster farm, where we ate crab and oysters in the most “farm-to-table” way possible:

ImageImage

Saying goodnight to the islands, the view from our cabins on the beach:

Sunday morning selfie:

Believe it or not, this picture was not even posed – Tuckies, life-long learners:

The trip ended with a Sunday night salmon feast at my parents’ house in Seattle.  It was great fun to be able to introduce my Tuck family to my real family!

Kudos [?]: 44 [1], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2014, 11:00
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Tuck in Pictures: #WeAreTuck

It’s impossible to talk about Tuck without talking about the Tuck community - our vibrant students, fiercely loyal alumni, brilliant faculty, and dedicated staff. What does that community look like? Check out #WeAreTuck and see for yourself. Each picture tells a story. Together, they form a mosaic of life, learning and friendship that illustrates the unique Tuck experience. We are Tuck and we are proud.

For more #WeAreTuck photos, follow @TuckSchool on Instagram

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2014, 01:18
Hi, a question about recommendation letter.

My recommender asked me the word limit for these two letters. Does anyone have ideas about this? I can't find any instruction of the word limit on website.

Thanks!

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2014, 07:00
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Tuckies Go West: The Inaugural Silicon Valley Boot Camp
Giuliana Vetrano, T’16, grew up outside Philadelphia before heading to Boston for college. (As a lifetime East Coaster, she especially enjoyed the Silicon Valley Boot Camp.) She studied history and French as an undergrad at Harvard, and immediately after graduation taught those same two subjects in Connecticut prep schools. She finally left academia when she changed careers and moved to New York to work in a Brooklyn digital marketing firm. Starting out at Tuck, Giuliana is excited to return to New England and to crew as part of the Rowing Club. She is also an avid writer (quickly catching up on all things quantitative), cyclist, and squash player.

“Wait, have you guys even started school yet?” a patient alum asked us in the middle of her presentation. The answer was no. The 38 of us wide-eyed, business-casual T’16s were having our first Tuck experience—3,067 miles from Hanover.

This past August, I traveled to San Francisco and the Bay Area for the inaugural Tuck Silicon Valley Boot Camp. In addition to the customary pre-term programs, this year Tuck offered the incoming class an opportunity to explore careers in technology in the very heart of the industry.

Tech recruiting at business schools has increased significantly over the past few years, but the hiring process remains less structured and more ambiguous than say, traditional banking and consulting cycles. Recognizing this, the Career Development Office (CDO) wanted to give those of us interested in everything from startups to established firms like Google a head start in strategizing our job search—and a chance to see the distinct Silicon Valley culture and environment firsthand. And that’s exactly what we got with the inaugural boot camp.

In this post, I’ll give an overview of the trip—where we went, whom we met, and what we covered.

Day 1: When in Rome

The four-day trip began with an orientation and welcome at Byington Winery, a vineyard in the Santa Cruz mountains now owned by Tuck alumna Amy Madsen T’96 and her husband, Benny Madsen. Byington was an appropriate place to kick off the boot camp, not only because viticulture is such a key feature of Northern California, but also because Benny is himself a successful tech entrepreneur.

In addition to an in-depth lesson on winemaking, one of the most fascinating parts of that first night was when we all introduced ourselves and explained why we were interested in tech careers. Among our group of 38, we had students from China, India, Spain, Italy, Canada, Kazakhstan, Brazil, and even a local from Hanover. We had as many engineers, financiers, accountants, and consultants as we did startup and digital marketing veterans—not to mention military veterans just completing their service in the Army and Navy.

Day 2: The Great Valley

Our formal Silicon Valley touring began, naturally, in the eponymous geographic valley south of the San Francisco peninsula. The logical starting point was the Google headquarters in Mountain View, also known as the Google campus or the Googleplex and perhaps the most iconic tech office space in the world (iconic enough, that is, to be featured in the recent film “The Internship”).

Led by Tuck alums Kelsey Stratton T’13 and Philip McDonnell T’12, we walked through the core buildings and courtyards of the Googleplex, checking out the outdoor arena where Larry and Sergei present their weekly TGIF talks, studying the casual dress of the Googlers on foot and on bikes, and pausing for a minute to gaze at the volleyball court and water treadmill (a mini lap pool with a self-generating current). In the exhibit space where engineers can display their latest side projects, many of us got side-railed into the immersive Google Maps experience, where we were able to virtually visit Tuck via Street View across five human-scale screens.

We spoke with Kelsey and Phil about their respective positions at Google and how they came to work there before hearing from the University Programs office about the recruiting process. Afterward, Ben Renda T’08 presented on the topic of digital content from his perspective as director of operations and head of global scaled services at YouTube.

The afternoon took us to nearby Redwood City, where Electronic Arts (EA) is headquartered. Claudia Carbonelli T’10, who is a senior finance manager there, gave us a glimpse into one of Silicon Valley’s oldest (founded in 1982) and most successful companies. EA has dominated the gaming space for decades and, as creative director Richard Hilleman related, is now adapting its products to the era of Internet-connected consoles and mobile devices.

Day 2’s programming concluded with a talk by Ted Wilson T’09, a principal at Pinnacle Ventures. Ted gave an outline of the venture capital space, including how hard it is to enter, and highlighted the seven areas of tech where he believes there will be the most growth: the “shared economy,” cyber-security, SaaS, FinTech, EdTech, smarter homes, and health care.

We spent our last hours out in the Bay at the University Club of Palo Alto, where eight alumni from the classes of 2005 to 2014 joined us for cocktails. It was great to meet and make connections with Tuckies from Deloitte Digital, Intel, Intuit, Symantec, Castlight Health, and other firms well before arriving on campus, and the alums made it clear they were more than willing to stay in touch with us as our internship and job searches progress.

Day 3: The San Francisco Treat

For the remainder of SVBC we visited with companies and alumni in the city of San Francisco. While office space in the city is ever more limited, a large number of well-known tech firms as well as emerging startups call it home. Salesforce.com was kind enough to arrange for us to use their offices in the city’s financial district as our base.

It was there that we heard from Blair LaCorte T’90 about his retrospectively impossible-to-plan yet illustrious path through the tech industry: Blair’s career in operational, management, and investor roles spanning both the dot-com and the startup booms enabled him to shed light on almost every aspect of the tech world, and convey a whole lot of well-earned wisdom.

Next, a group of recent alumni, including some T’15s currently completing their summer internships, formed a panel about the tech job search. It was extremely informative to compare the experience of a T’15 entrepreneur to that of her classmate who ultimately took a strategy internship at Intel. Maggie Misztal T’14’s determination to find a position at the intersection of tech and health care impressively landed her at 23andMe, and she reiterated the importance of an early start and perseverance when it comes to tech jobs.

In the afternoon, we shifted gears towards the investment side of the tech world, hearing from Jesse Lau T’11 who consults on private equity deals for Parthenon. Jesse’s presentation helped us understand the various players when it comes to buying and selling companies, and illuminated the role that consultants play in the Bay Area ecosystem.

We then took a short walk over to the San Francisco offices of Zillow (their headquarters are in Seattle) where Elissa Kline T’11 told us more about what product managers do and how MBAs can pursue such positions. Over snacks in the very employee-friendly kitchen, Elissa also stressed the benefit of getting involved in the Technology Club and the Center for Digital Strategies while at Tuck.

Once again, even more alumni joined us in the evening for dinner at the trendy Chambers restaurant. The T’16s split up by interest, sitting with grads working at Zynga, Walmart.com, Box, or Twitter, or with some familiar faces from Zillow and EA.

Day 4: I Left My Heart In...

For the final day of boot camp, we began by taking a closer look at startups. Another panel of alumni came together to share their experience finding jobs and working at firms such as LendingClub and Square. One had even just gone through an acquisition (by Yahoo), a fairly common fate for tech startups.

To witness startup culture in action, we walked to the nearby below ground offices of BoostMedia, where we saw signs of Agile methodologies at work (read: neatly organized Post-its on whiteboards) and learned more about AdTech.

The last stop of the trip was OpenTable, where, appropriately, we had lunch. Recently acquired by Priceline and quickly acquiring smaller firms like Copilot, OpenTable is in a very exciting phase. An interaction designer took us through the evolution of OpenTable’s just-launched mobile payments product, and an analytics expert showed us the new data platform the company is offering its business clients. Leela Srinivasan T’06 recounted her career in marketing at some of the Valley’s top companies, and her plans to develop the marketing function at OpenTable.

As you can see from this unintentionally, but justifiably long blog post, we covered a whole lot of ground during the Silicon Valley Boot Camp. We left with both a much clearer idea of what it means to work in tech and a realistic sense of what it takes to get a job in Silicon Valley. What’s more, the trip proved a great way to meet new classmates and Tuck alums alike, making the move to Hanover and the beginning of the job search that much easier.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 753

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Ross School of Business - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
WE: Project Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2014, 05:09
hzhan44 wrote:
Hi, a question about recommendation letter.

My recommender asked me the word limit for these two letters. Does anyone have ideas about this? I can't find any instruction of the word limit on website.

Thanks!

Hi hzhan,
This link should help you. http://www.tuck.dartmouth.edu/uploads/content/recommendation_2014_2015.pdf
The instructions clearly ask the recommender to be as detailed as possible. "Please be as detailed in your evaluations as possible."
I hope this answers your query. :)

Raves, rants and war stories of First Year MBA Students

Received an offer? Congrats! You might want to 'Negotiate the Offer'.

I'm happy to help if you wanna know about Ross & UMich, but please do not come to me with your GMAT issues or questions. And please add a bit of humor to your questions or you'll bore me to death.

Current Student

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Ross School of Business - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
WE: Project Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2014, 05:14
Now my turn to ask for advice. ;)
I wrote about the international experience question in tabular format, because the experiences were quite many in number and the word limit is 250. Any opinion whether the tabular form is OK? If not, then I'll have to prioritize the events and draft an essay. :|

Raves, rants and war stories of First Year MBA Students

Received an offer? Congrats! You might want to 'Negotiate the Offer'.

I'm happy to help if you wanna know about Ross & UMich, but please do not come to me with your GMAT issues or questions. And please add a bit of humor to your questions or you'll bore me to death.

Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2017 - Calling All Applicants!   [#permalink] 14 Sep 2014, 05:14

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  66    Next  [ 1305 posts ] 

Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2017 - Calling All Applicants!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: mbsingh

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap