Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 03:59 It is currently 08 May 2024, 03:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 154 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
desiguy - I really need to work on my math as well. For one, I need to work on combinations / permutations / probabilities. I was under the assumption that those types of questions were only asked when you were scoring in the 700+ range. Since I consistently scored in the 600-650 range on practice tests, I didn't study them. Boy was I wrong! First question - BAM...a permutation!

I just bought the OG 11th and the accompanying guides and after doing a cursory review, think they are a lot better than the 10th edition; at least, the explanations and format are better. I'm going to do the diagnostic test and focus on the types of questions I get wrong. Basically, I am going to do as many math problems as possible and learn the fundamentals. I figure if you can learn the basics, you can hopefully eliminate a couple blatant wrong answers.

DS is still giving me a little problem so I'm definitely going to work on that also. I'm hoping for a 600+ so here goes nothing! If I still do not clear 600, I'm going to enroll in my safety school. I can't put this MBA off any longer because I'm afraid I'm going to lose all motivation to go back to school.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
My math sucked before last year. I downloaded a book called a few months ago and worked through it.

McGraw-Hill - Algebra Demystified.

It is the best math resource I have ever seen. Not saying much! everything is explained step by step. The authour doesn't miss even the smallest step. Which helped a lot. I can solve pretty tough questions. Even word problems are broken down and translated into regular English.

Other than that, Princeton, Peterson, and Barrons along with power prep are my resources.

A lot of people say, you can plug in the answer on tough Algebra questions. I found that it is now easier for me to do the algebra for work, distance, age, and money coin problems among other.

Ski
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks ski. I'll take a look at that book.

Study hard!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Off to the library!!

Study hard!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
i agree valleyball - I have postponed twice already - from Sept to Oct and now Oct to Nov. I feel myself losing steam.

It seems no matter how much time I put in - keep scoring 550-580 range. on practice tests. Nov is the latest I can write and then I just have to accept my score.....

I wish there were a study guide for this type of situation. My weaknesses are somewhat inconsistnet from month to month.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think one of my biggest mistakes was protracting my study period. I started studying in April and took the test in September. Six months is just too long but I was so paranoid that I wouldn't do well because the first two months of studying were sporadic. I think my strategy backfired because, like you, I lost steam the last month and really wasn't motivated to take the test at all. Consequently, I bombed the test. I think 1-3 months is a more realistic study period.

I'm taking one more month to work on my weaknesses (DS really) and then I'll go from there. I have my #1 school application ready so all I need is a 600+ (I'm going for P/T programs). Sometimes you just have to roll with the punches. So long as I know I put 100% in the test (and in my preparation), I'll I'll be content going to my #2 school if things don't work out. Ultimate goal - I want to get my MBA ASAP.

Regarding your weaknesses, keeping an error log may help you; I know it has helped me lately. I keep a running log of all my errors. Before I start new content on the following day, I review all my errors from the previous day (and other days) and make sure I understand the content. I will continue this process until I get it all right.

Hang in there...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I agree about running the risks of a protracted study regimen. I took the GMAT the first time around over a year ago after a 3 month study period. I felt ready but got a 640, well below the 700+ score I was hoping for. The test was too intimidating and I choked. I got really dissapointed and took some time off, deciding to postpone going to school for another year.

So the second time around studied for a month and a half. Instead of casually doing questions here and there this shorter study period allowed a full immersion in the material. I studied on my lunch breaks, at the train station, and every night when I got home. Do not get worried by the results of the practice tests concentrate more on getting used to working in the time constraints of the test. After every test go back an and review what you did wrong. A clear pattern emerged for me, exponents, perm/comb, and mixture problems were always a problem for me.

If you have a weak point in a certain area pound on it. I mean really pound on it. Make sure you understand how right answers are derived. Do not look at the answer and say "doh!" then move on. The concepts in the math forum are identical to those on the test. Your appetite for practice problems needs to be insaitable.

I wish you guys good luck and good studying. This forum is an unbelieveable asset and I wish I had found it sooner. The biggest piece of advice I could give is to take full advantage of the stellar help available here.

Good luck and kick some butt.

Brendan.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks B!

I've been contributing to this forum a lot more frequently now and I think it is helping.

11/10 is G-Day!
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37403 posts