Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 21:41 It is currently 07 May 2024, 21:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28608 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Affiliations: Economist GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 160 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: How to become a GMAT teacher / tutor [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Darmody,

All great questions. I think the qualification requirements vary from course to course. Some courses may require a higher degree and some may not.

My suggestion is to take a look at GMAT prep course websites and see if you can find bios of the tutors to see if your qualifications align up. We feature the bios of our tutors here: https://gmat.economist.com/blog/masthead. Also feel free to reach out to test prep companies and see if you can get an informational interview with a tutor or two -- I would bet that there are many who would be happy to share their experiences with you!

Regards,

Elizabeth
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Affiliations: Economist GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 160 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Also -- check this thread out if you haven't already:

gmat-tutors-needed-79157.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
The 99th percentile is possible but you gotta do more than one thing. At the very least, do a structured test prep. All said, hiring a private tutor for one-on-one tutoring is the best way to go.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Hi, I am searching a course to earn a certificate as GMAT instructor online, but I can't find any information.
I have been teaching GMAT/GRE for 5 years now and I am thinking of having a certificate as a evidence of skills.
Can anybody help? Thank you
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28608 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
How to become a GMAT teacher / tutor [#permalink]
Expert Reply
vjosi wrote:
Hi, I am searching a course to earn a certificate as GMAT instructor online, but I can't find any information.
I have been teaching GMAT/GRE for 5 years now and I am thinking of having a certificate as a evidence of skills.

Dear vjosi,
I'm happy to respond. :-) My friend, I don't believe any such certification exists. I teach the GMAT and work for Magoosh --- I have no "certificate," but simply the experience during my time at Magoosh and before. I going to guess that instructors at all the big companies --- MGMAT, Veritas, etc. ---- don't have "certificates" of any kind. I am quite experienced in the GMAT and in GMAT preparation, and I have have never even heard of a separate certificate from some place. I fact, if I did hear about one, I would be quite suspicious.

It seems what you are really seeking is some sort of credibility that you can demonstrate to others. Certainly your own GMAT score would be a strong credential. I would suggest beginning by getting testimonials from former students. If a prospective student can look at your website and see that some previous student began at, say, a 530, and with your help was able to achieve, say, a 720, then that would be a strong inducement for the new student to work with you. Evidence of former success is one of the best credentials.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: Harvard University
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
I'm actually someone who often looks for GMAT tutors to refer my clients to, as I don't work with that part of the MBA application. I just work on the actual application itself: resume, essays and interview prep through my firm.

You do have an excellent score. Most GMAT tutors are going to be in person, so your business would be city and state dependent, but I recommend getting in touch with people who run MBA consulting firms, yet based on their web presence obviously don't have a GMAT component. Partnering with an already established business is the way to go!

Jillian, President & Founder
MBA Ivy League

www.MBAIvyLeague.com
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
vjosi wrote:

Dear vjosi,
I'm happy to respond. :-) My friend, I don't believe any such certification exists. I teach the GMAT and work for Magoosh --- I have no "certificate," but simply the experience during my time at Magoosh and before. I going to guess that instructors at all the big companies --- MGMAT, Veritas, etc. ---- don't have "certificates" of any kind. I am quite experienced in the GMAT and in GMAT preparation, and I have have never even heard of a separate certificate from some place. I fact, if I did hear about one, I would be quite suspicious.

It seems what you are really seeking is some sort of credibility that you can demonstrate to others. Certainly your own GMAT score would be a strong credential. I would suggest beginning by getting testimonials from former students. If a prospective student can look at your website and see that some previous student began at, say, a 530, and with your help was able to achieve, say, a 720, then that would be a strong inducement for the new student to work with you. Evidence of former success is one of the best credentials.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

I totally agree! And that's the way I have been working up to now, with recommendations from previous students but sometimes I get calls from prospective students that ask if I have any qualifications. And my response has always been I have a Master Degree and took GMAT myself, but as it seems it is not enough for them. So I for some time I have been asking if there is such a qualification.But now I know that it doesn't exist and and it makes sense. Thank you!
GMAT Club Bot