Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 08:34 It is currently 07 May 2024, 08:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Best age to start a MBA [#permalink]
ashishj1989 wrote:
I have been working with a market research firm since the past 2 years now. My total work experience is that of 5 years. I found S P Jain’s tri city module to be very interesting and was keen on opting for their GMBA program. However I am concerned about my age. I am 26 years old and if I get in I would be 27! Will I be too old? Will I be able to “fit in”?

Dude. Relax you are just 26! Don’t fret over it. If you like the program then I don’t think “fitting in” should be any of your concern. Concentrate on your entrances and applications rather than this.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ashishj1989 wrote:
I have been working with a market research firm since the past 2 years now. My total work experience is that of 5 years. I found S P Jain’s tri city module to be very interesting and was keen on opting for their GMBA program. However I am concerned about my age. I am 26 years old and if I get in I would be 27! Will I be too old? Will I be able to “fit in”?

Many colleges prefer experienced professionals for their course. This is because a course such as an MBA requires a huge amount of focus. This focus is expected from mature professionals and hence many MBA colleges insist on having a minimum of 3 years of work ex. You have nothing to worry about. There would probably be more students of your age group. Or If not you would just be a year or 2 older than them.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Since you have 5 years of work experience why don’t you try doing an EMBA instead? That course is specifically designed for working professionals with a good amount of industry experience.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
sasha1995 wrote:
Since you have 5 years of work experience why don’t you try doing an EMBA instead? That course is specifically designed for working professionals with a good amount of industry experience.

I know. But I don’t think I will be able to manage both studies and work at the same time. I want to get the holistic experience of an MBA
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ashishj1989 wrote:
sasha1995 wrote:

I know. But I don’t think I will be able to manage both studies and work at the same time. I want to get the holistic experience of an MBA

If your concern is that you are over qualified for the course then it is justified. But if you are only concerned about the age factor then it is a very silly thing to beat yourself up over it.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
How can one be over qualified for a degree?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Well if the person is getting a package of X then after completing the course he would obviously expect more than that as he has more experience than his batch mates. Therefore there may be a chance that he may not get the desired package and may look out for other job prospects. This would have an adverse effect on the campus placement stats. So you would be taking a risk here as the college wouldn’t want that.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ankitas1988 wrote:
Well if the person is getting a package of X then after completing the course he would obviously expect more than that as he has more experience than his batch mates. Therefore there may be a chance that he may not get the desired package and may look out for other job prospects. This would have an adverse effect on the campus placement stats. So you would be taking a risk here as the college wouldn’t want that.

You mean to say I wouldn’t get admission because I may have comparatively more experience than others? And probably wont get a hike in my placement package?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
No that’s not what I mean. I am just saying that there always is a risk factor when you do a vanilla MBA after having a good amount of work exp. To be sure check their average placement packages. If it is higher than what you get over here then you don’t need to worry.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3