Last visit was: 28 May 2024, 06:46 It is currently 28 May 2024, 06:46
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1042 [16]
Given Kudos: 102
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [2]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4329 [4]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: On the coordinate plane , points P and Q are defined by the [#permalink]
Kudos
An alternative way to approach this problem would be to calculate the distance between the center point and the other two points mentioned in the problem. The distance between center point and other two given points should be the same (will be radius) .
Distance between two points can be calculated as square root of ((x2-x1)^2+(y2-y1)^2))

Option -1: Distance 1 is √(6.25+1 )=√7.25 , Distance 2 is √(2.25+4)=√6.25.Hence Incorrect.
Option-2: Distance1 is √(9+25 )=√34 , Distance 2 is √(1+64)=√65.Hence Incorrect.
Option-3: Distance1 is √(1+0 )=√1 , Distance 2 is √(9+9)=√18.Hence Incorrect.
Option-2: Distance1 is √(4+2.25)=√6.25 , Distance 2 is √(4+2.25)=√6.25. Both are equal and hence Correct.
Option-2: Distance1 is √(9+4 )=√13 , Distance 2 is √(1+1)=√2. Hence Incorrect.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1042 [0]
Send PM
Asifpirlo wrote:
On the coordinate plane , points P and Q are defined by the coordinates (-1,0) and (3,3), respectively, and are connected to form a chord of a circle which also lies on the plane. If the area of the circle is (25/4) π , what are the coordinates of the center of the circle ?

(A) (1.5,1)
(B) (2,-5)
(C) (0,0)
(D) (1,1.5)
(E) (2,2)

really nice works everyone....................
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Strategy, Human Resources
GPA: 3.51
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
I m sorry to ask this question.. I am new to GMAT, you may find this question silly but still I cant able to get this.
We have a point on the circle(x,y)=(-1,0) and we have radius r=5/2.
Equation of circle is : (x-a)^2+(y-b)^2 = r^2. By simply substituting above (x,y) and r we can find (a,b) which is the center.
Y WE ARE GETTING 2 EQUATIONS(as done by maaadhu) SOLVING IT TO GET A FINAL EQUATION AND THEN SUBSTITUTING ANSWER OPTIONS AND SEEING? :oops: :oops:
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 627340 [1]
Given Kudos: 81975
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
shivananthraj wrote:
I m sorry to ask this question.. I am new to GMAT, you may find this question silly but still I cant able to get this.
Equation of circle is : (x-a)^2+(y-b)^2 = r^2. By simply substituting above (x,y) and r we can find (a,b) which is the center.
Y WE ARE GETTING 2 EQUATIONS(as done by maaadhu) SOLVING IT TO GET A FINAL EQUATION AND THEN SUBSTITUTING ANSWER OPTIONS AND SEEING? :oops: :oops:

The approach you are talking about allows to get the answer without actually solving the equations.

BTW, how can you solve (-1-a)^2+(0-b)^2 = (5/2)^2 for a and b?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1042 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
shivananthraj wrote:

Yes brother you can back solve it from the last equation you got...
but evaluating the reals roots of the equation will be cumbersome.......

Indeed you can solve any gmat problem without applying some formulas ,And just with few basic understandings.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Strategy, Human Resources
GPA: 3.51
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Thanks Bunuel and Asif for your replies. I got the gap where i fell.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [2]
Given Kudos: 55
Send PM
Kudos
Area of the circle
\(pi*r^2 = \frac{25}{4}pi\)
=> \(r=\frac{5}{2}\)

Distance between the given points is
\(\sqrt{(3-(-1))^2 + (3-0)^2}\)

\(=\sqrt{16+9}\)

\(=5\)

Hence the given points are end points of diameter & mid point of these two points is the center of the circle.

mid-point is
\((\frac{{3+(-1)}}{2},\frac{{3+0}}{2})\)

\(=(1,1.5)\)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V33
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
Asifpirlo wrote:
On the coordinate plane , points P and Q are defined by the coordinates (-1,0) and (3,3), respectively, and are connected to form a chord of a circle which also lies on the plane. If the area of the circle is (25/4) π , what are the coordinates of the center of the circle ?

(A) (1.5,1)
(B) (2,-5)
(C) (0,0)
(D) (1,1.5)
(E) (2,2)

Although it took me 3 mins to solve this question using all those equations, later I thought this question can be solved easily using options.

One property to keep in mind - A line passing through the centre of the circle bisects the chord (or passes from the mid point of the chord).

Now mid point of chord here is (-1+3)/2, (3+0)/2 i.e. (1,1.5) now luckily we have this in our Ans. choice. so definitely this is the ans. It also indictaes that PQ is the diameter of the circle.

There can be a case when PQ is not a diameter but in that case also the y-coordinate will remain same as it is the midpoint of the chord and we are moving up in the st. line to locate the centre of the circle.

If ans choices are all distinct (y cordinates) ONLY CHECK FOR Y CORDINATE and mark the ans.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 17035 [3]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Kudos