Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 00:49 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 00:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 620 Q36 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Planning to Retake - First attempt at GMAT 610 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Drogon,

First off, completing just 2 practice CATs is a relatively small number of CATs (and considering the 'swings' in your Scaled Scores, you didn't have enough information to properly define your overall skills). As to those CATs, I have a few questions:

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once?

From what you describe, it looks like you studied for about 3 months, but it's not clear what you were doing during that time. Were there any 'gaps' in your studies? How many hours did you study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Rich,

Yeah, even I probably think that maybe I needed more practice and giving more CATS Will help me understand my problem areas so that I can improve second time around.

Regarding Mock Cats, I gave them at home and yes I skipped the essay and IR sections . Although I took the Mocks at the same time in morning as my exam time.

I have already provided my study plan for the 2-3 months in my detailed post above for my first attempt. Any suggestions on how should I go about second time around for Quant especially? Also whether I should refer to any additional resources that may be helpful.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Also, although I have heard that the Enhanced Score report (ESR) doesn't provide a detailed analysis, I am planning to get it . I believe it would be worthwhile to me to know at least which subsections I faltered on.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Send PM
Hey Drogon,

A big drop in quant -- sometimes on the real test, you might be confident you had the right answer, but a small nuance in reading the question may have changed the whole question. So pay attention to small things like that.

Also, it is important to make sure you simulate real exam conditions. The same period of time for breaks. The same time of day. Your daily routine of breakfast food so you know whether you're in danger to go to the bathroom for breaks.

To improve quant, we recommend examining multiple variations off of the same core question type so you are prepared when the same kind of question is asked in a slightly different way.

If you are looking for more diversity in practice tests, we recommend that you try the GMAT Pill Practice Test here: https://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... tice-test/

Best of luck!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Drogon,

You've already defined a couple of ways in which you were not properly preparing to face the Official GMAT (taking the CATs at home and skipping sections), so you really have to emphasize the 'realities' of Test Day in this next phase of your studies.

1) Did you end up purchasing the ESR?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37320 posts