Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 04:56 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 04:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [64]
Given Kudos: 2412
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 4: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 5: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT 6: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2726 [0]
Given Kudos: 1477
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V37
GMAT 2: 650 Q43 V36
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V27
GPA: 3.3
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 762 [0]
Given Kudos: 176
Send PM
Re: 620->750 | African Engineer Blessed by Grace + 28 Months [#permalink]
What a debrief! What a long story!
Congrats!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2757 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Congratulations TooLong150,
TooLong150 post is too long................... :wink: just kidding.
You deserve the success very much after all this pain and perseverance.
All the best for your applications.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Accounting, Accounting
Schools: AGSM
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Congratulation to your great score after such great efforts.
Great debrief!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.83
Send PM
Kudos
Congrats.

Originally posted by Wan915 on 23 Feb 2016, 19:17.
Last edited by Wan915 on 14 Dec 2017, 20:05, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Send PM
Amazing debrief! As a fellow African and Christian, this was definitely encouraging and detailed! I am a bit curious - how many hours did you study daily?

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
shasadou wrote:
great debrief! thanks. as for verbal part of Gc u are absolutely right - i was amazed by the depth and quality of the solutions on LR questions.

btw i have solved so far 5 tests - that is about 100 questions as I skipped some non-gmat ones. one question to u: how many LR questions had you solved before you realized that your CR knoledge is solid. CR 51 is really an incredible thing - looks like you nailed every question - the hardest ones. can you please tell what is your average time on CR questions per ESR? And what type of questions the GMAT was throiwing to you annd at what sequence by type? can you please share more of your tips on tackling CR after you have gained som muc experience in LR LSAT?

Thanks

shasadou, please see below.

Honestly, that CR score is not representative of my CR ability; it was a miracle. My true CR level is most likely between 38-41. In fact on the last exam that I took (01/15/16), my CR level was a 38. I was surprised at the CR 51, because I didn't see any truly hard CR questions when I took the exam on that date. The below is all I remember regarding CR on 12/28/15:
* 2 easy ASU
* 1 easy FLAW
* No INFER/BoldFace/EVA/Parallel Reasoning or Except questions
* Many STR/WEAK questions
* Arguments were getting shorter as the exam progressed.

What most likely happened is that I got a lot of early questions correct, so I had the ability to get a lot of hard questions and answer them correctly. You must remember that what is hard in the GMAT's eyes might be easy for you.

Doing LSAT questions strengthens your ability to own FLAW and ASU questions, because unlike the frequency of these question types on the GMAT, the frequency of these question types, especially the FLAW question type, is much higher on the LSAT.

I finally got a good grip of CR after doing 500 LSAT LR questions (The Next 10 Actual Official LSAT PREPTESTS (29-38) twice and 10 New Actual, Official LSAT PREPTESTS (52-61) once) in addition to the 440 CR questions that I took and retook.

My CR tips are below:

GENERAL
1) Read the question.
2) Read the statements carefully.
3) Understand line of reasoning/Think through argument.
4) Eliminate irrelevant answers.

INFER
1) Find answer that must be true given the statements
1A) It must not contradict the statements.
1B) It can be a summary of the statements.

ASU
1) Read the argument carefully and note any subtle shifts, which can include any of the following.
1A) Something mentioned in the premise, but not in the conclusion.
1B) Term Shifts
2) Focus on the conclusion.
3) Negate choices and pick the choice that greatly weakens the argument.

WEAK/STR
1) Focus on the conclusion.
2) Predict an answer to get my brain thinking.
3) Pick the choice that best WEAK/STR the conclusion.

PDOX
1) Understand the paradox.
2) Eliminate choices that expand or don't address the paradox.

EVA
1) Pick a choice that strengthens conclusion depending on whether the answer to the question is Y/N and that weakens the conclusion if the answer
to the question is opposite the answer that strengthens the conclusion.

FLAW
1) Pick a mistake that the argument makes AND that weakens the argument.

BF
1) Find the conclusion and understand how each statement in the argument relates to it.
2) Eliminate choices that don't accurately describe the statements.

CR Timing Per ESR
Date______Verbal Score______CR Score__CR Timing (min)
09/14/11_______31____________ESR NA______ ESR NA

09/16/14_______37____________40___________2.49

11/08/14_______28____________17___________2.02

12/20/14_______34____________37___________2.07

08/08/15_______36____________41___________1.67

08/28/15_______35____________25___________2.25

12/28/15_______42____________51___________1.88

01/15/16_______39____________38___________1.84
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
DebbieN1989 wrote:
Amazing debrief! As a fellow African and Christian, this was definitely encouraging and detailed! I am a bit curious - how many hours did you study daily?

DebbieN1989, 2 hours each day on weekdays when work permitted and 6 hours each day on weekends. By the way, I'm glad that this encouraged you. If it is Jesus' will for you to get an MBA, keep on trusting Him and never give up; He'll make it happen! However, I urge you to not place too much emphasis on the GMAT. Focus on taking initiative at work or in your volunteer work and fostering relationships with potential references, who can speak highly of you. Remember that schools look at applicants holistically. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Hey TooLong150,
I am really intrigued about the LSAT material you used. Can you elaborate further on which specific book, website, or prep company you used?
Did it contain explanations to questions, correct?
Lastly, what LSAT parts resemble more the GMAT and which do you think they should be omitted?

It is true that we don´t have as many official Verbal questions as we´d like and this could help to solve the problem.

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: International Business
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GMAT 2: 580 Q39 V31
GMAT 3: 630 Q41 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
Wonderful debrief and congratulations on your great score. I am not even done reading it but wanted to congratulate you before I forget. :lol:
What you have accomplished is phenomenal.

I do have to "sort of" disagree with point 1. GMAT is unfortunately a big deal for getting into a good program. I agree that for the real business world it may not be... but unfortunately ALL business school place a very important emphasis on this silly standardized test because it is the only "standard comparison" they have.
I used to think that it's not all that important as long as you have a stellar GPA, great letters of recommendations and some decent work experience. All these things apply to me.... but I just can't get my act together and score a good result on the GMAT which is extremely frustrating for me. I know I am smart, I know I am persistent and driven and all that.... but for whatever reason I can't score well on the GMAT.

I worked my butt off for a perfect GPA in undergraduate and graduate school and honestly I don't know too many people who graduated with a 4.0 from undergraduate school. The imposter syndrome in me says that maybe I was just lucky with my grades and now the GMAT is telling the truth about my real intellectual capabilities (or flaws for that matter) .... It's pretty damn hard NOT to take a low GMAT score personal.

I am going back to read the rest of your post now for more motivation.

Great job!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [1]