Last visit was: 06 May 2024, 10:14 It is currently 06 May 2024, 10:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
nothingless wrote:
Thank you, Linda. Your advice, as usual, is very valuable.
At GMAT 650 and my profile, I guess, it is not worth the time to apply, in my case. I am thinking of taking the GMAT again next month now.
Thanks

You're welcome. Please note that my comments were directed primarily to Stern's part-time program.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Paul/Linda,

I did take GMAT again a couple of weeks back. This time I managed 680 (q48, v35) . Can you help me rate my chances again? I am planning to volunteer at a soup kitchen and looking into some administrative work at another non profit org.

Also, there are a couple of other issues that I did not mentions the last time, but they might be important for adcoms:

1. I do have a 8 month gap in my work history (about 7 yrs back). I actually immigrated to the US and wanted to work in a Biochemical Lab. in a Pharma co. but soon found that my training/ experience was not very marketable here. So I started developing my software skills and landed a consulting job. It has been smooth and great except for that little bump.

2. In my current role as a senior programmer, I do not have a 8-10 member team to manage. I have managed some critical projects but with a maximum of only 2 people on my team. Is that enough?

With these additional details could you answer the following questions:
1. My chances for part-time at NYU & Chicago.
2. Can you suggest any other good schools that I should consider.
3. I may be getting a good job offer soon and may accept that offer. Now, I live and work in NJ. Does it mean that if I enroll in a part-time program, say in Chicago, I have to fly there 2-3 times a month. What do people do in such cases?
4. My long term goal is to set-up a specific type of knowledge based company. Do I need to provide some details of this idea on the essays?
5. Also, I found a current student’s contact information at that programs website. Is it acceptable to contact this person to get some information about the program?

Thanks for all you help!
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
nothingless wrote:
Hi Paul/Linda,

I did take GMAT again a couple of weeks back. This time I managed 680 (q48, v35) . Can you help me rate my chances again? I am planning to volunteer at a soup kitchen and looking into some administrative work at another non profit org.

Also, there are a couple of other issues that I did not mentions the last time, but they might be important for adcoms:

1. I do have a 8 month gap in my work history (about 7 yrs back). I actually immigrated to the US and wanted to work in a Biochemical Lab. in a Pharma co. but soon found that my training/ experience was not very marketable here. So I started developing my software skills and landed a consulting job. It has been smooth and great except for that little bump.

2. In my current role as a senior programmer, I do not have a 8-10 member team to manage. I have managed some critical projects but with a maximum of only 2 people on my team. Is that enough?

With these additional details could you answer the following questions:
1. My chances for part-time at NYU & Chicago.
2. Can you suggest any other good schools that I should consider.
3. I may be getting a good job offer soon and may accept that offer. Now, I live and work in NJ. Does it mean that if I enroll in a part-time program, say in Chicago, I have to fly there 2-3 times a month. What do people do in such cases?
4. My long term goal is to set-up a specific type of knowledge based company. Do I need to provide some details of this idea on the essays?
5. Also, I found a current student’s contact information at that programs website. Is it acceptable to contact this person to get some information about the program?

Thanks for all you help!

Nothingless,

My apologies for the delay in responding. Congratulations on your improved GMAT. It makes a big difference. Both NYU and Chicago are now "doable" for you. You might also consider applying to Kellogg`s part-time program and Michigan`s. Both have entrepreneurship concentrations. (Haas`s part-time program would be ideal in this respect too, except for its distance from you.)

Regarding your questions, your employment gap is probably of minimal importance because it was so long ago, assuming that you were not laid off "for cause" and that you made productive use of the 8-month gap. I think leadership of 2-person teams is satisfactory--the size of the team is not as important as the extent to which team leadership is an integral and regular part of your responsibilities. At the same time, if you could gain team leadership experience in your community or extracurricular life you could strengthen your leadershp profile. In this respect, your reference to working at a soup kitchen, though commendable, is sort of a `low-value` community activity. Much, much more effective would be a leadership (e.g., board membership) position with a community organization.

Regarding the travel required for part-time programs, it is not uncommon for part-timers to fly cross-country or even across oceans to earn a part-time MBA. You have to ask yourself whether you can swing it and whether the MBA means that much to you.

Yes, you should be as detailed about your long-term goals as you can be in your essays. Not only is it "acceptable" to contact a current student, it is in my opinion an essential part of the application process. Contact as many as you can and mention their comments in your essays.

Good luck,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Paul,
Sorry for the delay in acknowledging (I was out of country). I really appreciate your detailed reply. It is not only very informative but also very encouraging.
I will let you know how things go.

Thanks a lot.
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
nothingless wrote:
Hi Paul,
Sorry for the delay in acknowledging (I was out of country). I really appreciate your detailed reply. It is not only very informative but also very encouraging.
I will let you know how things go.

Thanks a lot.

You're welcome.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Dont be disappointed by low GMAT. Just apply. I know folks who got into HBS with relatively low GMAT.

Just apply, there is NO harm! Atleast u will not regret that u have not applied.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]