Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 10:13 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 10:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [37]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [2]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: Lofgren's disease has been observed frequently in commercially raised [#permalink]
C for me.

Lofgren's disease has been observed frequently in commercially raised cattle but very rarely in chickens. Both cattle and chickens raised for meat are often fed the type of feed that transmits the virus that causes the disease. Animals infected with the virus take more than a year to develop symptoms of Lofgren's disease, however, and chickens commercially raised for meat, unlike cattle, are generally brought to market during their first year of life.
Which of the following is most strongly supported by the information provided?

C: A failure to observe Lofgren's disease in commercial chicken populations is not good evidence that chickens are immune to the virus that causes this disease.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Re: Lofgren's disease has been observed frequently in commercially raised [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi Guys,

While we are discussing the option B and C, let's revisit the question once again...the question says:

Which of the following is most strongly supported by the information provided?
B: There is no way to determine whether a chicken is infected with the Lofgren's disease virus before the chicken shows symptoms of the disease.
C: A failure to observe Lofgren's disease in commercial chicken populations is not good evidence that chickens are immune to the virus that causes this disease.
Now if we consider option C, what it signifies is that the:
conclusion of the given argument, say Y, is: Chickens are immune to the virus that causes this disease.
and it's given evidence in the argument, say X, is: A failure to observe Lofgren's disease in commercial chicken populations
And the option C then means that X does not lead to Y.

So, for option C to be true, author must provide both coclusion - Y and evidence X in argument, whereas,
- the argument never talks about the conclusion to be Y (it can be infered only), and,
- Also you cannot consider X as an evidence (not even as an assumption) because author did say that disease can be observed rarely in chicken...the author never talked about failure to observe disease.
So, even if Y is considered as inference (as trivikram pointed out), the option C cannot be considered as true, since X is never mentioned as evidence or assumption.

Using POE, the option B then wins.

Let me know if you have some other views.

Argument (for easy reference): "Lofgren's disease has been observed frequently in commercially raised cattle but very rarely in chickens. Both cattle and chickens raised for meat are often fed the type of feed that transmits the virus that causes the disease. Animals infected with the virus take more than a year to develop symptoms of Lofgren's disease, however, and chickens commercially raised for meat, unlike cattle, are generally brought to market during their first year of life.
"
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1133 [2]
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
 Q50  V34
Send PM
Kudos
I will go for C.

Here is my explanation:

Premise1: Lofgren's is rare in chickens than it is in cattle.
Premise2: Both cattle and chicken eat same food that may cause disease.
Premise3: It takes one year for symptoms to appear.
Premise4: Chickens are brought to market in their first year.

Now the question asks for inference NOT the conslusion.
What we can infer?

1. It takes 1 year for symptoms to year doesn't mean that the disease can not be detected in first year. Only thing we can infer is NO sysmtoms can appear before 1 year and if sysmtoms are there then the chicken is atleast one year old.

2. The rarity of disease is not related to food. There MUST be some other cause of rarity.

3. No symptoms of disease have been observed in chickens brought in market.

Using 2nd inference we can say that if we have not observed the disease in chickens then it doesn't mean that they are immune. Chickens are also susecptible to disease but only thing is we have not observed.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V29
Send PM
A. transmission to human beings is not covered in the stimulus, hence eliminate.
B. we don't know if any such method exists in nature, hence eliminate. (another valid reason for elimination is that this option is too extreme)
C. correct
D. we don't know if an animal not showing any symptoms of the disease can transmit it, hence eliminate
E. completely out of scope - eliminate
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
gottodoit wrote:
Great! All C.

:P

Anyway there is no OA.

I think it's B.

My reasoning:

B: There is no way to determine whether a chicken is infected with the Lofgren's disease virus before the chicken shows symptoms of the disease.
=> Why the disease is rarely observed in chicken because chickens are killed before (1 year) they (majority) show any symptoms. If we had some way to determine that the chickens are infected without knowing the symptoms, then the chances are that the cattle and chickens are equally infected by this disease.

C: A failure to observe Lofgren's disease in commercial chicken populations is not good evidence that chickens are immune (safe) to the virus that causes this disease.

=> why C may not be correct (I think) because, nowhere in the passage mentioned that the chickens are IMMUNE TO the virus. It's clearly mentioned that the disease is rarely observed, that means they are not really immune to this disease.

Please correct me if I am wrong somewhere.
My reasoning is also same like you. In the passage the author didn’t mention anything about immunity. I am also standing with B in this one.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 545 [1]
Given Kudos: 1656
Send PM
Lofgren's disease has been observed frequently in commercially raised [#permalink]
Kudos
Why I believe B is wrong.

No where does it say in the passage that it is impossible to figure out whether the chicken has the disease before it shows symptoms. There may be tests they COULD run, even before the chicken shows symptoms, that would show the chicken has the disease. We just are not told anything about this.

However, since commercial chicken populations are brought to market BEFORE the symptoms show up——(symptoms show up > 1 year and the chickens are brought to market in 1 year or less)——

What C says must be True. A chicken can have the disease, be brought to market before showing any symptoms, and no one would be able to tell.

This is why a failure to observe the symptoms in commercial chickens is NOT good evidence that these chicken are immune. Maybe the chickens have the disease but it’s BEFORE the time when the symptoms start to show. After all, we are told that chickens are brought to market before any symptoms have a chance to appear.

I’ll admit it isn’t the best written passage and there are a few holes....but C is more strongly supported by the Facts.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 94
Send PM
Kudos
Here's my two cents for eliminating choice B. Nowhere in the passage the author mentions anything about ways to determine the Lofgren's disease. It only says that it can take upto a year for symptoms to show up.

May be if we do the tests before even the symptoms appear, we can identify the disease. Again, unless we show symptoms why would anyone want to perform the tests. They would assume the chickens are healthy.

The summary is the argument does not talk about the tests used to determine Lofgren's disease. It only talks about its symptoms.

Please give kudos if you like my explanation.

Regards

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 353
Send PM
Fdambro294 wrote:

No where does it say in the passage that it is impossible to figure out whether the chicken has the disease before it shows symptoms. There may be tests they COULD run, even before the chicken shows symptoms, that would show the chicken has the disease. We just are not told anything about this.

However, since commercial chicken populations are brought to market BEFORE the symptoms show up——(symptoms show up > 1 year and the chickens are brought to market in 1 year or less)——

What C says must be True. A chicken can have the disease, be brought to market before showing any symptoms, and no one would be able to tell.

This is why a failure to observe the symptoms in commercial chickens is NOT good evidence that these chicken are immune. Maybe the chickens have the disease but it’s BEFORE the time when the symptoms start to show. After all, we are told that chickens are brought to market before any symptoms have a chance to appear.

I’ll admit it isn’t the best written passage and there are a few holes....but C is more strongly supported by the Facts.

Hi Fdambro294 ,

My thoughts on between B and C, since these two are close calls.

As you rightly mentioned, in B there can be ways to find the disease in the chicken. So it's not necessarily true.

But as far as C is concerned I agree with Vinodsai1995 there is no mention of immunity in the stimulus. So for C to be absolute correct it should mention "more immune than cows" in it IMO.

Experts, what do you think.?
VeritasKarishma AndrewN IanStewart

Thank you. :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 545 [0]
Given Kudos: 1656
Send PM
Yea, I agree with you. This is one of those questions that skates along the edge between 2 answers......I too would love to see what another expert thinks.

Nups1324 wrote:
Fdambro294 wrote:

Hi Fdambro294 ,

My thoughts on between B and C, since these two are close calls.

As you rightly mentioned, in B there can be ways to find the disease in the chicken. So it's not necessarily true.

But as far as C is concerned I agree with Vinodsai1995 there is no mention of immunity in the stimulus. So for C to be absolute correct it should mention "more immune than cows" in it IMO.

Experts, what do you think.?
VeritasKarishma AndrewN IanStewart

Thank you. :)
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9250 [3]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos