Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 20:11 It is currently 02 May 2024, 20:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools:LBS (R1-Admit), Oxford (R1-Admit)
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 271 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well, it’s not very absurd observation, though statistically not correct… you can not apply generalization to specific group ! Averages given are generalized(or wide range), and what one need to know is relative distribution of a person in his demographic..

Let’s say 99% Chinese in range of 500 to 700 and only 90% Indian in range of 500 to 700, in this case though average of Chinese is higher, still you need higher score to enter in Indian demographic.

So correct comparison can be done only if we have application pool of each demographic with their GMAT distribution and acceptance rate..which you can not get from any school 

Saying this about statistics, I do believe that as an Indian I belive, one should score higher than 700 because I see people with 750 all around in competition pool!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 169 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
so much for being Indian eh?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
chiragr wrote:
Well, it’s not very absurd observation, though statistically not correct… you can not apply generalization to specific group ! Averages given are generalized(or wide range), and what one need to know is relative distribution of a person in his demographic..

Let’s say 99% Chinese in range of 500 to 700 and only 90% Indian in range of 500 to 700, in this case though average of Chinese is higher, still you need higher score to enter in Indian demographic.

So correct comparison can be done only if we have application pool of each demographic with their GMAT distribution and acceptance rate..which you can not get from any school 

Saying this about statistics, I do believe that as an Indian I belive, one should score higher than 700 because I see people with 750 all around in competition pool!

I think you pretty much agree with me then. You are basically saying we don't know the standard deviation of each demographic group. Which I stated in the caveat section. But without that knowledge, we can pretty safely assume that degree of variation will be similar from group to group. Std dev will definitely be smaller for groups taht score higher simply because the score is capped at 800.

I wouldn't say the idea is statistically incorrect at all, it is a statistical approximation based on incomplete information, and if you see my calculations they have been pretty conservative to arrive at the 60 point mark.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Does anybody else see the irony here? A minority (in the general American population) is being negatively affected by affirmative action and diversity.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 271 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
saturnring11 wrote:
Does anybody else see the irony here? A minority (in the general American population) is being negatively affected by affirmative action and diversity.

irony! yes I guess
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
saturnring11 wrote:

Affirmative Action is for UNDER-REPRESENTED minorities.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1582 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Is this true? Do indian IT/Engineering have a tougher time getting into US or European MBA/MS programs? I have just begun reading some of the application experiences. Some people have really impressive resumes/scores but end up waitlisted or rejected at schools that i would expect them to get into.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 86 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
oh well, so much for being Indian. Its not uncommon for me to come across such discussions. They've been plenty of these discussions even in some of the other forums.

But in the end, I'm not sure how many Indians will make such a deep analysis before applying. I would rather put my efforts to make the best application.

Ps: I'm an Indian.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 264 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
joemama142000 wrote:
Do indian IT/Engineering have a tougher time getting into US or European MBA/MS programs?

Just want to chime in here. Wording like this is scary - people can get the wrong idea very fast. When worded like that, it sounds almost discriminatory.
What's going on here is that B-Schools want to create a diverse student body. So you can assume that when applying, the comparison is weighted more heavily against others that have similar demographic profile as you, than against the entire applicant pool. In the case of Indian engineers, with an undergrad degree from IIT - that demographic has one of the highest mean GMAT scores amongst the other demographics. SO in order to make yourself "stand out" within that demographic, you either have to score higher than the rest of that demographic generally does on the GMAT, or have some other interesting aspect to your profile.

Make sense?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
how about indians who have done their undergrad and graduate abroad? do they come under the same criteria?

Its kind of scary.. because if the schools want diverse group of students, it gets harder for indians.. because there are just so many indians applying for mba with such high scores....
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37348 posts