Last visit was: 08 Jun 2024, 20:17 It is currently 08 Jun 2024, 20:17
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.46
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: Stanford '14
Send PM
Re: Current Student Blogs [#permalink]
FROM Bschooladmit20: Steady Love

you once told me
to not be a stone
but you’re the rock
the stolid, warm
consistent support
that i didn’t know
can’t imagine being without
can never really
fully grasp i deserve
you showed me
what it means
to let someone in
slow down, stop
steady love
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sheiquiroga: Quick Announcement
This is to let all my viewers know that I'll be posting more things in the coming months. (I haven't forgotten about you.) Just prioritizing my Statistics and Operations class right now.

Upcoming posts:

1. Term 1 - Academics (Including the books to read for Term 1 while you sit there waiting for your MBA year)
2. Term 1 - Club Activities and some case competitions
3. Term 2 Life - Internship Hunting - It's okaaay - That's what we're all going to say to you next year. ;)

a. For all the NEW VIEWERS, things that are more important for MBA newbies are buried deep down in this blog. For your convenience, if you look at the right part of this blog, there is a Label/Tag icon. Please click it and choose the most relevant categories you're looking for. And if you have time, do check out all my blogs I put into so much time just to help everyone out!

b. I know some people might be CONSTANTLY CHECKING this blog. To improve our efficiency (Yes, I just took a KPMG Lean Six Sigma Training, so I'm using these words) and you don't have to waste your valuable time, please also look at the rightmost part of this blog and click on the second icon and subscribe. This will send you email whenever I post new articles.

Quick update with my life:
- In the midst of finding an internship
- Better life than term 2 except for the anxiety
- Improved a lot of skills

Will keep you guys updated; don't worry!

Love,

Wondersuite
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Bschooladmit20: Stanford: Future of Media

Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sheiquiroga: Rotman's Term 1 - Section Fiiiive (5)
As you can see in this score card, Section 5 was not "best" section according to this criteria. However, I want to especially dedicate this article to the best social reps, Rex Wu and Rosemary Wilson, and my Section 5 classmates. They have done so much to our section to keep us sane and happy throughout this hellish term. And kudos to all the first year reps who allocate their time to join all these meetings just to serve their fellow classmates!

Congratulations to Section 2!
After Midterms Snack
They never forget to care for us. Right after the midterms, they provided us with sustenance for the rest of the afternoon. They brought us some tasty snacks while everyone was discussing how to do Question 2 of Finance. 

Cultural Music

“I think music in itself is healing. It’s an explosive expression of humanity. It’s something we are all touched by. No matter what culture we’re from.” – Billy Joel

Music lowers stress and makes you happy. For every break that we have, Rex would play music from different countries. He even brought his own speaker for this. And some days, he would just play very calming music that you might think you are entering a five-star hotel when you enter Section 5.

Professor Mike's Baby

We are all extremely busy and shopping for anything is really hard. Even our Finance professor was busy and lost sleep not because of classes, but because he was having a baby!!! Nevertheless, Rosemary managed to find gifts for Professor Mike!

Professor Mike: I wish you had given me these gifts before I wrote the exam. 

Baby Zachariah Rocking Movember

Aamer's Baby

It's not only Zach who is getting born! We have another MBA baby, Hamzah Aamer! Our social reps organized another baby shopping and, of course, we kept it secret from him! When Aamer announced his baby just entered this world, he brought some tasty chocolates for the whole class and we gave the gift at the same time. We hope that your baby would grow as kind and smart as you are, Aamer!

Francisco Getting Married

Not only do we have our newly-born babies, we are also going to have newly-born love! This guy on the left will be getting married over the Christmas holidays! We prepared a touching card with everyone's signature and messages wishing him to have a blessed and happy marriage!

Post-midterm Section Party

After we recovered for a bit, we had another party during our mini-break after the midterms. This party occurred right after the Career over Beers that was held in a bar, Duke of York, just above Brewhaha, where we had our party.

Diwali

Back in college/high school, we would only decorate our room mostly when we have to do a creative presentation. So when I entered our room in the morning, I thought we are going to have a creative presentation for our marketing class. It turned out that these lights were organized by our social reps to celebrate Diwali, a Hindu festival of lights celebrated every autumn! Happy Diwali! 

Check this out for the video:
https://www.facebook.com/shei.quiroga/p ... 2200906272

Day of the Dead

They also made an effort to decorate the room for Dia de Muertos, a Mexican Day of the Dead to honor the dead that includes festivals, parades, and gatherings of families to pray for their deceased loved ones.

Birthday Greetings
It is your birthday and you are overseas away from your family and wonderful friends! Yet no one made an effort or anything for your day here in this cold country. It is quite sad, right? That's why we started doing these birthday greetings on Facebook. Our classmates will have our section bunny beside them if it's their birthday. And we will post their photo on Facebook and let the world know it's their freakin' birthday!!!

Lili Lim! 

Lili Lim for the win! I just want to give a special mention to Lili for helping out our professors to continue their lectures and classmates to start their presentations. I hope that there will be a tutorial on how to use these projectors, etc!

Secret Santa and Last Section Get Together

Before the classes started, our upper years had us answering a poll of the top 3 words that represents our section, the result was creative. Back then, we have no idea of our section personality at all. And during this last section get together before the holiday break, our reps had us re-answer this poll. Awwww yeah. We are the "FUN" section!!!

Some memories we shared in class and during our group presentations:

Better Call Jon, the best Fund Manager

Chris!!!! (He was not present in class when this was presented. Haha!)

OCFCL and OCFCX

And even if we feel like this (picture on the left) every single day in our MBA life,  we always feel like this (picture on the right) whenever we have our classes together at section 5!

And... we will always end up having fun in this way after every achievement and milestone that we reach together on our way to our future successful lives: 

This is our Section Bunny who was completely wasted during the parties! Awwwee yeaaah!
Love,

Wondersuite
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sheiquiroga: Quick Announcement
This is to let all my viewers know that I'll be posting more things in the coming months. (I haven't forgotten about you.) Just prioritizing my Statistics and Operations class right now.

Upcoming posts:

1. Term 1 - Academics (Including the books to read for Term 1 while you sit there waiting for your MBA year)
2. Term 1 - Club Activities and some case competitions
3. Term 2 Life - Internship Hunting - It's okaaay - That's what we're all going to say to you next year. ;)

a. For all the NEW VIEWERS, things that are more important for MBA newbies are buried deep down in this blog. For your convenience, if you look at the right part of this blog, there is a Label/Tag icon. Please click it and choose the most relevant categories you're looking for. And if you have time, do check out all my blogs I put into so much time just to help everyone out!

b. I know some people might be CONSTANTLY CHECKING this blog. To improve our efficiency (Yes, I just took a KPMG Lean Six Sigma Training, so I'm using these words) and you don't have to waste your valuable time, please also look at the rightmost part of this blog and click on the second icon and subscribe. This will send you email whenever I post new articles.

Quick update with my life:
- In the midst of finding an internship
- Better life than term 1 except for the anxiety
- Improved a lot of skills

Will keep you guys updated; don't worry!

Love,

Wondersuite
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
FROM The Oxford Comma: Care Deeply and Challenge Directly

One of my goals in 2018 was to learn more about management as I transition from being  an individual contributor to a manager. I have started attending management training at work, but have also been looking for books, podcasts, articles to learn more. Radical Candor was the one of the most recommeded books on this topic. The author Kim Scott traces her journey from a startup where she was CEO to Apple and Google where she effectively managed people and even ran management bootcamps.

As CEO, Kim was afraid of giving hard feedback as she did not want to be seen as a jerk. However this meant that her employees were not aware of their flaws and did not correct them which led to even more uncomfortable conversations down the line.

She set out to investigate how to “be a kick ass boss without losing your humanity”. The answer which is in the top right of the quadrant is the title of the book and it consists of the following two steps.

Care Deeply – The first step to understand the employee’s goals (both personal and professional) deeply. This can be done through a series of 1-1 meetings with the employee. It is then the manager’s job to put the employee in a position where they can make progress towards those goals. Too often, managers assume that all employees want to be star performers – there are many who derive satisfaction from working 8 hours a day and spending their free time with family and friends.

Challenge Directly – The next step is to challenge the employee whenever they fall short of the goals that they have set for themselves. If the manager has established a good rapport (step 1), then the employee will see these challenges as an attempt by the manager to guide them rather than attack on their performance. Feedback should happen quickly and be not reserved for 1-1 meetings or annual reviews. The “directly” in “Challenge directly” advices that feedback cannot be diluted lest it be ignored.

One thing that the book does not detail is how personality type may influence the efficacy of the book’s advice. Most managers are familiar with Myers-Briggs or similar personality tests which specify that employees should be motivated or challenged differently depending on their personality. For e.g. certain employees may not take too kindly to being challenged, even if the manager has a good rapport with them.

Overall, the book is a great read and full of useful advice. It goes into great detail on how to establish a culture of radical cantor in the workplace. I highly recommend it to managers especially new ones like me.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sheiquiroga: Rotman Term 1 - Academics
Term 1, aka Rotman's Hell Term,  is over. In our exam room, we all clapped with gladness after the last exam. For future students, I won't be discussing the contents of the subjects since that's one of the reasons you come to MBA for. I'll leave that to you to unravel! But my main tip for everyone is to always read ahead of time because you won't have any time left when you start preparing for your career-related activities. Be sure to enjoy your team meetings and always prioritize them so you don't annoy your teammates who are equally working hard for your grades.

Managing Customer Value
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bpmIV6ZMQ3Q/WjcIuI4yg_I/AAAAAAAACjw/0nGBlSG9K6IBdNtKL-Gk9rOgw_JPlr0wQCK4BGAYYCw/s1600/24862589_10214063977169335_786132614404381648_n.jpgProfessor Avi Goldfarb (along with Professor Dilip Soliman)
No book required. All readings were provided by the professor.

In this course, we talked about foundations of marketing, such as the 3Cs and the 4Ps with more emphasis on the customers. We touched upon digital marketing, value creation, consumer behavior, and some business design. We had Professor Dilip for one session, in which he discussed about behavioral economics, specifically more on nudging.

Deliverables:
>We had to read different cases from both Harvard and Ivey and discuss the case facts and learnings in class. Out of these cases, we also had to submit case positioning statements, which were not that difficult to do.
>For the class participation, just merely participating for the sake of it won't give you high marks here. You have to actually contribute something great in class and even challenge the thinking of the professor in order to get higher marks.
>For the midterm exam, most of the content were from the slides and lectures, but it requires clear understanding since some questions can be tricky. You need to listen attentively in classes.
>Next, we have to deliver a marketing plan presentation and paper. We had to come up with ideas for self-control product. Prototyping is important here. I would suggest to have at least two prototypes and show how your ideas improved after having the first one. Be sure to bring them in your presentation just in case the professor ask for them.

Our brainstorming, prototyping and bodystorming:

We also had a special session with Mark Leung, in which he discussed the three gears of business design and how merely changing the consumer's process can bring about valuable impact on your business. Afterwards, they also let us start prototyping our ideas and started doing bodystorming to see if there's a gap that we haven't addressed in our journey map. This was helpful because it helped us challenge our thinking and whether our idea was even feasible given the current tech offerings.

Finance I - Capital Market and Valuation 
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-dFa8DWJLZSQ/WjcIyFHumGI/AAAAAAAACkI/wZUJ_QJDy6wFDGDoFNzTbSlopYougEzrQCK4BGAYYCw/s1600/24899728_10214063977209336_6175157856182926534_n.jpgProfessor Mikhail Simutin
Book: Corporate Finance by Berk, J. and DeMarzo, P.

In this class, we learned about capital markets and bond valuation. They taught us about bond arbitrage, strips, CAPM, stocks, forward and future contracts, stock options, etc. The thing that I like about this course is that Professor Mike tries to find fun ways to make the course easily understandable. For such a complicated subject, he did a great job in letting people understand Finance concepts and he is undeniably one of the best professors you will ever have.

Deliverables:

>First deliverable is to identify the value of our MBA using NPV analysis before the first class started. Then, they required us to deliver a series of homeworks before they discussed them in classes. The homeworks were hard for people who didn't have any Finance background and would require you to either really read the book or ask your friends to teach you how concepts work (so don't be mean to your classmates because you have to help out each other and fill in the gaps in your experience).
>We also had to deliver a Finance presentation and our group prepared hard for it and we did role playing and presented commercial videos that we created ourselves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4mnWMEoHhM  Our group just wanted to have fun even if it was just around 5% of the grade.
>Another deliverable was doing stock pitch presentation. Unfortunately, the stock pitch case competitions started earlier than the actual lecture, so it would be great if you prepare beforehand if you plan to choose the (tormented) Finance track.
>This Finance midterm exam is something that would crush the souls of most of the MBA students. In term 1, most of the people were doing a lot of coffee chats, networking and case competitions. We even had endless homeworks for both Accounting and Finance. The midterm was the last one among the four subjects and most of the people just studied the afternoon before the actual exam. All of this left us insufficient time to study. This exam was also the hardest one out of the four subjects.
>The final exam was still tricky but less as it allowed people to still continue answering the questions even if you cannot get the right answer in the preceding questions. In addition, people prepared better for the finals after having the torturous midterm.

Do I need a finance calculator?
We did not use it much in the exam and I think you can get away with a normal scientific calculator. However, I still tried to borrow from my upper year buddy just in case I really had to compute using them. 
If you haven't bought a calculator, I would recommend buying Casio's fx-991ES Natural Display because of its screen size and you can input fractions in more organized and easier way. 

Financial Accounting
Professor Dragan Stojanovic
Book: Financial Accounting using IFRS by Wong, F., et al. 

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ZXZTphiz0t4/WjcIsZJDcbI/AAAAAAAACjo/0UoLn1lWhYMR90aiDESGb-sDQCGdLGt2wCK4BGAYYCw/s1600/24899794_10214063977089333_9164811969535759316_n.jpgI love this subject so much because it's not your average accounting class, in which you merely do bookkeeping. Professor Dragan was so great in teaching us how to read financial statements and he is one of the coolest profs we had. I found that the book was pretty easy to understand, but the trick in accounting reading them carefully, or else, you will miss out on some important details. Try to read the books ahead of time because they will take so much time and you have to learn them ahead in order for you to do the homeworks. 

Deliverables:
>You will analyze financial reports from a user's perspective, but you will practice doing the bookkeeping in a less strict sense thru the homeworks. These homeworks were a pain to most of the students, especially from people who did not have accounting backgrounds. You would have to study your books first and we spent lots of time on the formatting of the journals and ledgers. We had these homeworks for almost every before classes, which was a real pain.
>We were assigned companies and we had to choose another company that is related either as a competitor or as a supplier. Then, we had to submit a paper before and after the midterms; it was divided into two parts, so don't panic when you see a long list of questions. We then had to present them in class.
>For both the midterms and finals, I think that the people who were checking them did not give generous partial points and there were multiple errors in checking my exam for both midterms and finals. So be sure to review your exam results properly because it might be hard to check for the TAs. The exams were also a bit tricky but it's not impossible to get a perfect score especially if you came from an accounting background. 
>Another thing I liked about this course was when we had a Credit Committee Simulation conducted by Scotiabank. Its employees generously gave their after hours time to facilitate and to help us see and experience how the credit committee makes their judgment in lending businesses money. It was helpful for both future entrepreneurs and leaders since you will know where to improve upon to increase your chances of getting loans. 

Fundamentals of Strategic Management
Professor Mara Lederman (along with Michael Ryall)
No required book. Readings were all uploaded by the professor.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-dtjAqyV4qE4/WjbxpQzkGhI/AAAAAAAACTg/zpapo1PLhpsdDVjSEiAFxNRG6dknppu6wCK4BGAYYCw/s1600/image%2B%25286%2529.jpgThe professor did a great job in challenging our strategic points of view and helping us create our own PPPD (Positive, persistent performance difference). We read different Harvard cases, such as Disney-Pixar, and started by tackling early theories on strategy. Other topics included diversification, first-mover advantage, barriers to entry, relations and reputations. Professor Ryall also discussed his own Value Capture Model theory, which required some math and analysis to understand the variables, but one of the points here is that two or more agents create more value than a single agent. And to add, one thing that amuses us is when our professors try to show their creative parts, such as when Professor Mara was trying to draw Mickey! 

Deliverables:

>We had two homeworks, which are pretty fair than the past homeworks we had in the Foundations Term. Most of them will be based on the lectures and slides with some additional thinking for applications.

>We also discussed about the gaming industry and we had to present different reasons in the class, but it was not graded.
>The midterm exam was also based on the lectures and slides and I think they are the fairest exam we had. However, people might still not get high grades because of cramming. You should be studying the slides after lectures and not just cram them before the actual exam.
>The final exam was similar to the midterms and it included questions for applications of the topics.

Scholar Sessions

I rarely attended scholar sessions this term because I was too busy with other things and found that I can be more productive at home at my own time. You can also just study the slides of the scholars, which I found pretty useful. 

Finals and Midterms

Mix of both sadness and happiness that exams are over. Off to partying haaaard. 

Regroupings

Term 1 is over. Hell term is over. But that also means, your initial groupmates' meetings are all over too. I just want to thank my "Supersonic Powerhouse" team for helping me and each other improve on different things. We came up with this team name when everyone was tipsy before writing our first ethics presentation in Foundations term. I'm not the best person in Finance, Accounting, hard math problems nor powerpoint decks; however, these amazing guys helped me improve so much and sometimes I think I learned more from them than in actual lectures. We covered up each others' gaps and just came out being better people. When things were too tough, we just discussed our group presentations over Skype and we still came out pretty productive. Every meeting would start with either rants or just jokes and then a person would halt us to continue and start doing the actual work. In addition, Jonathan, a former professional basketball player, was such a good role model for me. He would wake up so early and get things done immediately. He was always up to date with his readings and such a diligent person. I started waking up early in December and even during the winter breaks. I developed this habit and it was just so nice to study when it is very serene and quiet. 

To Gurman, Jonathan, Kiel and Urvi, thank you so much!!! I will never forget you guys. You are the best teammates I ever had. <3 I'm glad we still kept in touch during the winter breaks and even in Term 2.

Missing chargers and bottles

Term 1 is also the season that you start losing all your things. Rotman will give you free water bottles and be sure to put special stickers on them, so you can still retrieve them in the lost and found.

Favorite memes for this term:

Love,

Wondersuite
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Bschooladmit20: Product Management for Startups = People Management

I’ve held several product management roles in very diverse settings over the past four years. I led the development of an influencer marketing platform for a European adtech company, managed two very different Stanford-based startup teams (one primarily designer-led in ed-tech space and another engineer-led in the healthcare sector) and worked with the UK government, a large charity and an impact investor to design and launch an incubator for public services in the UK.
In each of these roles, no matter how different the actual work, teams, and outcomes we were working towards, what worked- in terms of allowing us to align on a vision, undertake deep need-finding exercises, build prototypes, work together effectively and ensure that we released our product on time- was always the same.
These are my key lessons:
Keep the product roadmap as simple as possible + get buy-in early
Your product will keep evolving: you will never get it to be perfect. Your role is to build a common vision across very different teams, keep things moving, align teams, solve problems and get buy-in.
To do all those things, all day, everyday, you need to keep the product and process as simple as possible. Particularly when each team you work with has its own vocabulary, culture and norms. Ensure all your stakeholders agree on what the bare minimum viable product looks like- and that this version is genuinely usable. You can dress it up later.
Manage towards outcomes: build trust
Your role isn’t to tell people what to do: it’s to facilitate your teams. Create a set of project team norms and values for each product that you work on, that are continuously reinforced. Be friends with the people you work with. Take your teams out for dinner and drinks, get to know them personally. Get their buy in. Understand what excites them, stops them, or frustrates them. Protect them and remove obstacles. Don’t control the process. Give people the freedom to create. Inspire and motivate them. Then leave them to it.
Over-communicate: it’s not obvious to everyone
Getting buy in across teams is not easy. Your role is to be the trusted confidante. You should be the first one to know if something is going wrong; or if a deadline is going to slip. Your team needs to know exactly what is expected of them; and why. Deliver bad news upfront and early. Stay direct. Ask for and give feedback regularly.
User perspective + empathy: it doesn’t matter what you think
User design is always much complicated than it seems on the surface. You will never get it right. It can always be better. Don’t get dragged down a rabbit hole. Don’t get distracted by the way things look. There are no right answers. Continuously put yourself in the user’s shoes and design for them. Make sure the experience is simple, easy + intuitive- if not delightful.
Move fast: decision-making & measurement
You can collect as much data while you’re developing a product.In the end, you’re going to have to make some calls that are unscientific: based on your gut, instinct and qualitative feedback. Act quickly and decisively. You role is to say no, cut out the bullshit and keep going.
BUT make sure that you’re continuously refining your KPIs- and that you invest in defining what data you want to collect from your users upfront before you release each iteration of your product. You want to balance releasing a version of your product with being able to test whether it is actually ‘working’- and feel free to get a little creative in defining what ‘working’ means.
Prioritisation: say no
You’re not going to be able to put out every fire, or keep every stakeholder (the design, engineering, client and senior management teams) happy at all times. Balance the urgent v/s the important: don’t lose sight of what you’re end goal is. It’s okay to say no, as long as as a team, you’re still heading where you want to go.
Stay authentic: do what works for you
Genuine leadership is an exercise in influence: understanding what motivates people, getting people with very different perspectives and backgrounds to align on a single vision, and work together, and then carrying your team across the finish line. Use your own style to make it work.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Bschooladmit20: Product Management + Startups = People Management

I’ve held several product management roles in diverse settings over the past four years. I led the development of an influencer marketing platform for a European adtech company, co-founded and managed two very different Stanford-based startup teams (one primarily designer-led in the ed-tech space and another engineer-led in the healthcare sector) and worked with the UK government, a large charity and an impact investor to design and launch an incubator for public services in the UK.
In each of these roles, no matter how different the actual work, teams and outcomes we were working towards, what ‘worked’- in terms of allowing us to align on a vision, undertake deep need-finding exercises, build prototypes, work together effectively and ensure that we released our product on time- was always the same.
Your product will keep evolving: you will never get it to be perfect. Your role is to build a common vision across different teams, keep things moving, align teams, solve problems and get buy-in.
To do all those things, all day, everyday, you need to keep the product and process as simple as possible. Particularly when each team you work with has its own vocabulary, culture and norms. Ensure all your stakeholders agree on what the bare minimum viable product looks like- and that this version is genuinely usable. You can dress it up later.
Your role isn’t to tell people what to do: it’s to facilitate your teams. Create a set of project team norms and values for each product that you work on, that are continuously reinforced. Be friends with the people you work with. Take your teams out for dinner and drinks, get to know them personally. Get their buy in. Understand what excites them, stops them, or frustrates them. Protect them and remove obstacles. Don’t control the process. Give people the freedom to create. Inspire and motivate them. Then leave them to it.
Over-communicate: it’s never obvious
Getting buy in across teams is not easy. Your role is to be the trusted confidante. You should be the first one to know if something is going wrong; or if a deadline is going to slip. Your team needs to know exactly what is expected of them; and why. Deliver bad news upfront and early. Stay direct. Ask for and give feedback regularly.
User design is always much complicated than it seems on the surface. You will never get it right. It can always be better. Don’t get dragged down a rabbit hole, or get distracted by the way things look. There are no right answers. Continuously put yourself in the user’s shoes- by actually asking them what they need/want + also observing how they interact with the product- and then design the product specifically for whichever segment you’re initially targeting. Make sure the experience is simple, easy + intuitive- if not delightful.
Run the tests. Let the data speak first. But while you can always collect more data while you’re developing a product, in the end, you’re going to have to make some calls that are unscientific: based on your gut, instinct and qualitative feedback. Act quickly and decisively. You role is to say no, cut out the bullshit and keep going.
On the other hand, sure that you’re continuously refining your KPIs- and that you invest in defining what data you want to collect from your users early on, and revise this before you release each iteration of your product. You want to balance releasing a version of your product with being able to test whether it is actually ‘working’. Also, feel free to get (a little) creative in defining what ‘working’ means.
You’re not going to be able to put out every fire, or keep every stakeholder (the design, engineering, client and senior management teams) happy at all times. Balance the urgent v/s the important: don’t lose sight of what you’re end goal is. It’s okay to say no, as long as as a team, you’re still heading where you want to go.
Real leadership is an exercise in influence: understanding what motivates people, getting people with very different perspectives and backgrounds to align on a single vision, and work together, and then carrying your team across the finish line. Use your own style to make it work.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Bschooladmit20: What No One Tells You Product Management
What No One Tells You About Product Management
Product management + startups = people managementI’ve held several product management roles in diverse settings over the past four years. I led the development of an influencer marketing platform for a European adtech company, co-founded and managed two very different Stanford-based startup teams (one primarily designer-led in the ed-tech space and another engineer-led in the healthcare sector) and worked with the UK government, a large charity and an impact investor to design and launch an incubator for public services in the UK.
In each of these roles, no matter how different the actual work, teams and outcomes we were working towards, what ‘worked’- in terms of allowing us to align on a vision, undertake deep need-finding exercises, build prototypes, work together effectively and ensure that we released our product on time- was always the same.
Your product will keep evolving: you will never get it to be perfect. Your role is to build a common vision across different teams, keep things moving, align teams, solve problems and get buy-in.
User design is always much complicated than it seems on the surface. You will never get it right. It can always be better. Don’t get dragged down a rabbit hole, or get distracted by the way things look. There are no right answers. Continuously put yourself in the user’s shoes- by actually asking them what they need/want + also observing how they interact with the product- and then design the product specifically for whichever segment you’re initially targeting. Make sure the experience is simple, easy + intuitive- if not delightful.
Run the tests. Let the data speak first. But while you can always collect more data while you’re developing a product, in the end, you’re going to have to make some calls that are unscientific: based on your gut, instinct and qualitative feedback. Act quickly and decisively. You role is to say no, cut out the bullshit and keep going.
On the other hand, sure that you’re continuously refining your KPIs- and that you invest in defining what data you want to collect from your users early on, and revise this before you release each iteration of your product. You want to balance releasing a version of your product with being able to test whether it is actually ‘working’. Also, feel free to get (a little) creative in defining what ‘working’ means.
Real leadership is an exercise in influence: understanding what motivates people, getting people with very different perspectives and backgrounds to align on a single vision, and work together, and then carrying your team across the finish line. Use your own style to make it work.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
FROM Bschooladmit20: What No One Tells You About Being a Product Manager

Product management + startups = people managementI’ve held several product management roles in diverse settings over the past four years. I led the development of an influencer marketing platform for a European adtech company, co-founded and managed two very different Stanford-based startup teams (one primarily designer-led in the ed-tech space and another engineer-led in the healthcare sector) and worked with the UK government, a large charity, a global infrastructure company and an impact investor to design and launch an incubator for public services in the UK.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [2]
Send PM
Kudos