Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 16:09 It is currently 08 May 2024, 16:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1450 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 257 [0]
Send PM
Re: Permutations [#permalink]
It is B! Made a mistake..

5 to the right and 5 down. If we arrange all the possible routes RRRRRDDDDD, all the possible unique shortest routes are 10!/(5!*5!) = 252

Routes that constitute A->C->B = (5!/4!)*(5!/4!) = 25

Probability that the person will pass through the Point C on his way to B through the shortest path = 25/252

Required probability = 1-25/252 = 227/252

Originally posted by giddi77 on 07 Jun 2006, 10:47.
Last edited by giddi77 on 07 Jun 2006, 17:20, edited 3 times in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 176 [0]
Send PM
it is definitely not B (227/225), D(25/36) and E(10/21). it is between A and C. but i am not sure which one is correct..

it should be A (1/6) because a person can reach B from A through C in 25 ways. so total ways to reach B from A is more than 125 (how do we count the paths here? :roll: ). So it is A.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Send PM
Its definitely C

will explain if im right
Director
Director
Send PM
Professor wrote:
it is definitely not B (227/225), D(25/36) and E(10/21). it is between A and C. but i am not sure which one is correct..

it should be A (1/6) because a person can reach B from A through C in 25 ways. so total ways to reach B from A is more than 125 (how do we count the paths here? :roll: ). So it is A.

Prof, question asks what the prob person will NOT travel through C
Director
Director
Send PM
gmatmba wrote:
Professor wrote:

oh yes, its E.

the probability cannot be significantly less than 1/2. so A(1/6), B (227/225 = absurd), and C(1/5) are clearly out. the choice is between D and E. if D is not OA, then only E remains.
Director
Director
Send PM
Professor wrote:
gmatmba wrote:
Professor wrote:

oh yes, its E.

the probability cannot be significantly less than 1/2. so A(1/6), B (227/225 = absurd), and C(1/5) are clearly out. the choice is between D and E. if D is not OA, then only E remains.

:?: are the answer choices changing every time. I see that I picked C above, but I wanted to pick B.

Prof - B is 227/252 ... not sure where you got 225 from...maybe it changed from the time you looked.
Director
Director
Send PM
gmatmba wrote:
Professor wrote:
gmatmba wrote:
Professor wrote:

oh yes, its E.

:?: are the answer choices changing every time. I see that I picked C above, but I wanted to pick B.

Prof - B is 227/252 ... not sure where you got 225 from...maybe it changed from the time you looked.

i am not :drunk cuz i do not drink but my condition is more than i am :drunk
Manager
Manager
Send PM
The OA is B.

The approach of giddi77 is correct
You can use the same approach with Q195 from OG11.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1450 [0]
Send PM
good giddi ! i am definitely out of it :?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Send PM
giddi77 wrote:

5 to the right and 5 down. If we arrange all the possible routes RRRRRDDDDD, all the possible unique shortest routes are 10!/(5!*5!) = 252

Probability that the person will pass through the Point C on his way to B through the shortest path = 25/252

Giddi - Please elaborate on the logic behind the lines in bold. Thanks!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 257 [0]
Send PM
shobhitb wrote:
giddi77 wrote:

If you take a simple 2 by 2 path (see picture), From X to Y the shortest path will always have only 4 LEGS (by a LEG I mean either a horizontal or vertical bar) on the picture.

If you denote R = right , D = down, then one of the shortest paths form X to Y could be
R-R-D-D
Similarly, D-D-R-R, D-R-R-D, D-R-D-R, R-D-R-D, R-D-D-R are also shortest possible unique routes. In all there are 6 routes.

Rather than counting all of them we can say that, all possible shortest routes are unique arrangements of 4 letters R, R, D, D
Hence number of routes = 4!/(2!*2!) = 6

In this problem we have 5 Right and 5 Down LEGS.. Hence total routes = 10!/(5!*5!)

Similarly from A->C we have 1-D, and 4-Rs.. Hence total routes from A-> C = 5!/4!
From C-> we again have 1-R and 4-Ds. Hence 5!/4! routes.

From A->B->C = (5!/4!)*(5!/4!)

HTH! BTW when I first got similar problem in my PP test, I couldn't solve it either. I tried to solve this problem for next 2 days and then gave up :( Found the solution in OG.
Attachments

Shortest_route.GIF
Shortest_route.GIF [ 1.26 KiB | Viewed 2044 times ]

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Send PM
giddi77 wrote:
shobhitb wrote:
giddi77 wrote:

If you take a simple 2 by 2 path (see picture), From X to Y the shortest path will always have only 4 LEGS (by a LEG I mean either a horizontal or vertical bar) on the picture.

If you denote R = right , D = down, then one of the shortest paths form X to Y could be
R-R-D-D
Similarly, D-D-R-R, D-R-R-D, D-R-D-R, R-D-R-D, R-D-D-R are also shortest possible unique routes. In all there are 6 routes.

Rather than counting all of them we can say that, all possible shortest routes are unique arrangements of 4 letters R, R, D, D
Hence number of routes = 4!/(2!*2!) = 6

In this problem we have 5 Right and 5 Down LEGS.. Hence total routes = 10!/(5!*5!)

Similarly from A->C we have 1-D, and 4-Rs.. Hence total routes from A-> C = 5!/4!
From C-> we again have 1-R and 4-Ds. Hence 5!/4! routes.

From A->B->C = (5!/4!)*(5!/4!)

HTH! BTW when I first got similar problem in my PP test, I couldn't solve it either. I tried to solve this problem for next 2 days and then gave up :( Found the solution in OG.

Thanks a ton giddi! absolutely crystal now :thanks . Also reminded me the formula for permutation of n objects wherein a, b.. objects are identicle.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
Great question and explanation!....totally undestand this question now.
Director
Director
Send PM
Professor wrote:

this is how i was trying to solve this problem (however this is not an elegant approach) but i was drunk (messed up) without drink.

number of ways somebody can pass from A to B through C = 25
total number of ways somebody can pass from A to B = x
number of ways somebody can pass from A to B not through C = x - 25

The prob that somebody can pass from A to B not through C = (x - 25)/x

if we consider on choice B [(252-25)/252 = 227/252), it is exactly what (x - 25)/x is.

again this doesnot work always.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 770 [0]
Send PM
Great solution giddi. And the absolute correct one. I cheated myself though. I approximated that from A to B it takes 10 steps and each step there are two options so total number of route is 2^10. Same thing from A to C total number of route is 2^5. So the possibility of passing C is 2^5/2^10 which is 1/2^5, and the possibility of not passing C is 1-1/2^5. I know that the 2^5 and 2^10 are not exact since you don't get two options when you reach the bottom. But I get the sense that the result should be something close to 31/32, or close to 1. And therefore I chose B.

Thought I'd share it too since sometimes this kind of "cheat" or approximation might be useful, especially if you are short on time, or at a loss of what is the correct way to solve a question.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Quantitative Questions Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts