Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 07:07 It is currently 02 May 2024, 07:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
[#permalink]
Firstly, your name IHateTheGMAT is no longer valid considering you nailed the examination :wink: :lol: .

I am improving on the verbal front but quant remains one of my weak areas. I am stuck at the very thought of how to answer the question.
I have started reviewing the basics as of now.
Will remember to time the questions once I get down to accuracy building part.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
willget800 - sorry never used 800score but I've heard some bad things about it on this forum. I think your at the point where you should be focusing on official questions anyway (OG11, OG supplements, GMATPrep). When is your test?

buzzgaurav - your right, i guess my screenname seems a bit out of place now. But it sure felt right when the GMAT was kickin my a--! haha
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am trying to improve my focusing power.. so i am doing more and more tests..

i think the last week i will do 4 gmatprep tests(just sect/sect test).. and then go through the gmat club to find all gmatprep problems..

My test date is not finalized yet.. i am thinking july 30..

thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Where can i get these KAPLAN Exams? [#permalink]
First of all congrats on a great score!

My question is i keep hearing Kaplan but I cannot find where the Kaplan exams are.
The Kaplan website only has book and the premier book is the one that has 4 exams in cd rom?

How did you get these exams

Thanks...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Send PM
Re: Where can i get these KAPLAN Exams? [#permalink]
pparija wrote:
First of all congrats on a great score!

My question is i keep hearing Kaplan but I cannot find where the Kaplan exams are.
The Kaplan website only has book and the premier book is the one that has 4 exams in cd rom?

How did you get these exams

Thanks...

The book has a CD that has the exams. Buy the book and you'll get the exams.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
IHateTheGMAT, that reversal makes more sense indeed. My mistake was to write my GMAT (too) soon after having reviewed everything through a Kaplan prep course, without much practice (Kaplan seemingly doesn't encourage such practice) outside of its own boundaries! As a result, my pacing was off BIG TIME! And my self-esteem too, given Kaplan's eight excruciating CATs.

I was asking about the strategy books (PR versus Kaplan) mostly because each of them offers some more or less useful strategies (heard PR was best here) AND more importantly some CATs. I don't know if PR allows us to take its online tests more than once, but since Kaplan put them on a CD it's not a problem on its side. If qualities are equal, I may stay on Kaplan's turf. I've also bought the MGMAT guides that give access to some CATs online.

Now, not sure yet if I should follow MGMAT's strategy regarding RC (partly as you've just suggested) or keep on reading until the drudgery is over, but I guess I must decide if ever I intend to refine one approach or another.

Thanks again for the very nice feedback!

Daniel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
can someone help me clarify this ?

Is Powerprep different from GMATprep ? Are both of these from MBA.com ?

I see that most of you talking about GMATPrep Test1,2,3 & 4. But when I
downloaded the software from MBA.com(I did it it March '06 ), I only see 2 tests.

Also, where can I get the Powerprep ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
PowerPrep is the older version of GMATprep. You can't get PowerPrep from the MBA.com site any more. The questions in PowerPrep are in OG 11 and 10. People reinstall GMATprep to get more tests. Some people suggest 'resetting it' but I don't know how... Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks, that helps
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Amount of preparation [#permalink]
Hi ,

Could you please let me know how much time is good/ fair amount of time to attribute to GMAT preparation?

I am scheduled for August end and am taking a month off from work for it. Is that sufficient or should I keep more time?

Thanks a bunch for any advice you may have

Warm Regards
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
willget800 - I think you should go ahead and set a date for the test. You seem just about ready for it and I personally think its helpful in your studying to have a specific deadline because it will keep your studies more focused. After all, there's a lot of GMAT material out there and you don't want to study it forever! Just continue to work on verbal and stamina (without neglecting math) up to your test date and I think you'll get your score. Your practice tests certainly seem to indicate that you will.

Daniel - Definitely need to pick some strategies and stick with them. I was in a very similar position as you in that I had taken the PR course and was dissapointed in my score so I considered switching over to Kaplan (in the end I chose not to). Your best off just sticking with Kaplans strategies as a base and making your own refinements to them. For example, I used princeton review as my base and then made the refinements that I've discussed in this topic.

mbaaspirant - I don't really feel that I can give you a specific amount of time that is sufficient because its different for everyone. Taking the test in August does strike me as a rather short time frame however. You want to be sure that you have enough time to go through all the material (using general guides such as PR, Kaplan, MGMAT). After this you want time to take a lot of practice tests, do OG problems and refine your test strategy and pacing. After your first run through of the material you may also want to time individual problems, keep an error log, study weaknesses, etc. All of this takes time. For some people it takes less time than others. Its a personal judgement.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks [#permalink]
Thankyou for the advice.
It's just that I am getting advice from my peers who seem to have scored 720 in two weeks of preparation and if i dont give the GMAT now, I might miss the first round of applications and hence loose any chances of getting a scholarship.
I am making so many basic careless mistakes and facing the deer-in-front-of-light situation on basic qs that otherwise would be so easy to solve, which is putting me in a situation where I either want to get it over with or postpone it for a long time. Its little demotivating.
Is it really difficult to get good scores in a short duration?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 992 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congratulations :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 610 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q46 V36
GPA: 3.46
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
seems like u don't hate the GMAT so much after all! [#permalink]
Congrats man!Your tips are very useful and will help our community.
The techniques ar egreat and the "losing focus" part is crucial. Some test-takers' minds just wander away in front of long RC questions ( no doubt others have heard that too!) Gmac knows what's up and puts in a lot of unnecessary details about this and that.

One thing that etsttakers need to realize is nto to fear the test. If you've prepared well and know the material, go in with a relaxed attitude, a positive one. I looked at some of the test-takers in my center in Pasadena and could see the anxiety. The battle can be lost fro mthe moment you're filling out your personal info or signing in at thecenter.

What schools u shooting for now?
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
mbaaspirant - Of course its possible to get it done in such a short time frame if you're really really really crazy smart. It sounds like you have friends that are (720 in 2 weeks!). I know that I'm not smart enough to pull that off though. You know your own abilities better than I do so its your call.

melvynandrew - I totally agree with you on the importance of keeping your cool during the test. Of course, that is much easier said than done! I will say I was much more loose during my latest run at the GMAT (maybe thats part of what contributed to my success?). I just kept telling myself to "treat it just like a practice test". I was even crackin jokes with the test center guys during my break. As far as schools I still need to narrow down to a list of 5 schools from the following 8: Wharton, Chicago, Cornell, Yale, Columbia, Duke, Harvard (a long shot), NYU (least likely to make the final 5).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
IHateTheGMAT, your series of posts is the best overall description of preparation I've read so far here on gmatclub and in prep books.

Did you study in short everyday practice sessions? Or did you do full tests all the time?

Following your suggestion, I'm planning to start an error log. You mentioned that for each problem in your log you wrote:
Question Type/Topic,Time spent, Right/Wrong, Diagnosis

Measuring "time spent" can be tricky.

I usually do 5-10 quant Q's from OG and a RC passage (my weakest section of the Verbal) from LSAT book nightly after work. I time those Q's in a batch then compute an average time spent per Q to get an idea of how I'm doing that day. This method generally works, but it's hard to say exactly how much time I spent on each question. If you have a good strategy for timeing individual questions, please share it.

thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Re: An Epic Battle With The GMAT Comes To An End - 740! [#permalink]
You took the test 4 times ....doesn't that weaken your apps? I thought schools always average out scores even if they claim not to do so? Your inputs will be helpful....i scored a 700 and am thinking if this is good enough to apply to the top schools like kellogg and tuck..

[quote="IHateTheGMAT"]My Score: 740 (48 Quant, 44 Verbal)

I have spent a lot of time reading the messages on these boards and never actually posted anything. My GMAT experience is a long and painful one (with a happy result). It started a year and a half ago when I took a princeton review course. I went into the test shooting for a 680+. I was shocked and dissapointed when a 650 showed up on the screen. I decided I'd go in a week later and take it again (this was when ETS ran it and you were alowed to stack test dates like that) to my horror I scored a 650 again! At this point I gave up on the GMAT. A year and a half later I decided to take it up again. This time I studied even harder and my practice test scores where higher (680-700 range). This time I was sure I would hit at least 680. Went in, took the test, felt good. My score: 650!!!!! I was DEVESTATED!! I even came close to crying (and since I'm a man of course i never cry - haha). The next morning I woke up and said, This test is not going to get the better of me! This is when I started to incorporate some things I learned on this forum. I made an error log. I timed every question. I took Kaplan and MGMAT tests because their harder. And I took GMATPrep 4 times (included retakes which had a couple duplicates). By the way, GMATPrep is exactly like the real thing. During the next month of intense study my practice tests were as follows:

Kaplan 1: 570
Kaplan 2: 600
Kaplan 3: 700
MGMAT 1: 620
GMATPrep1: 720 (include a couple repeats because I'd taken it before my last test)
GMATPrep2: 720 (2-3 repeats)
PowerPrep1: 720
GMATPrep1: 730 (5-6 repeats)
GMATPrep 3: 750 (nearly half repeats)

I would be more than happy to share my observations on the difficulty of the real test (as well as how it compares to the ETS version) and how it compares to princeton, kaplan, mgmat, gmatprep and powerprep practice tests. I also have a ton of information on pacing strategies (which was a major problem for me on math), math content strategies, verbal content strategies, error log etc. I have studied obsessively for so long that I feel like I know this test inside and out.
So if you have ANY questions, shoot away![/quote]
GMAT Club Bot
Re: An Epic Battle With The GMAT Comes To An End - 740! [#permalink]
   1   2   3   
Moderator:
Founder
37341 posts