Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 23:15 It is currently 03 May 2024, 23:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 945 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 395 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 785 [0]
Send PM
Re: Despite the approach of winter, oil prices to industrial [#permalink]
I am going to take D here... here is why:

Premise: Winter -> price of oil low now, likely to remain so
....missing premise, must be something about nat. gas....
Conclusion: Price of natural gas -> to stay low, UNLESS "real" winter strikes.

Which of the following, if true, provides the most support for the conclusion above?
What type of question is this?... no... not conclusion... this is strengthen question... we need to find a support for conclusion that price of natural gas will stay low. Now... since there is no premise (info) about natural gas, the answer should say something about it to draw such conclusion.

(A) OUT OF SCOPE... no indication of that... in fact, the argument is uncertain about the weather.

(B) OUT OF SCOPE... do we care about the fact that they can switch from 1 to 2? how does it support the conclusion that price on natural gas will stay low? THIS ONE IS A TRAP!!!

(C) OUT OF SCOPE... we don't know anything about where the oil/gas comes from

(D) The fuel requirements of industrial users of natural gas are not seriously affected by the weather.
By POE this is the one; Let's negate this one and see what happens:

The fuel requirements of users of nat. gas ARE seriously affected by the weather. Thus, the prices of gas WILL NOT stay lower... AHA -> conclusion FALLS APART... so this is correct choice

(E) Opposite is true... in fact, both oil and gas seem to be affected together
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 674 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
 Q48  V33 GMAT 2: 670  Q46  V36 GMAT 3: 720  Q49  V40
Send PM
u2lover wrote:
I am going to take D here... here is why:

Premise: Winter -> price of oil low now, likely to remain so
....missing premise, must be something about nat. gas....
Conclusion: Price of natural gas -> to stay low, UNLESS "real" winter strikes.

Which of the following, if true, provides the most support for the conclusion above?
What type of question is this?... no... not conclusion... this is strengthen question... we need to find a support for conclusion that price of natural gas will stay low. Now... since there is no premise (info) about natural gas, the answer should say something about it to draw such conclusion.

(A) OUT OF SCOPE... no indication of that... in fact, the argument is uncertain about the weather.

(B) OUT OF SCOPE... do we care about the fact that they can switch from 1 to 2? how does it support the conclusion that price on natural gas will stay low? THIS ONE IS A TRAP!!!

(C) OUT OF SCOPE... we don't know anything about where the oil/gas comes from

(D) The fuel requirements of industrial users of natural gas are not seriously affected by the weather.
By POE this is the one; Let's negate this one and see what happens:

The fuel requirements of users of nat. gas ARE seriously affected by the weather. Thus, the prices of gas WILL NOT stay lower... AHA -> conclusion FALLS APART... so this is correct choice

(E) Opposite is true... in fact, both oil and gas seem to be affected together

U2, I beg to differ from your analysis on B being out of scope. I think B is the answer. Let me try to explain and some one can correct me if i am wrong.

If as B says, the users can QUICKLY and CHEAPLY switch to oil (whose price is likely to remain low as stated in the stem), this would be all the more reason for the price of natural gas to NOT go up - because if it does, then the users have a CHEAP and QUICK alternative (i.e not requiring any additional overheads).

We need to think about why the products' prices have been corelated - that's because they are competing and products that can also be used as SUBSTITUTES; hence if the price of one goes up, it is likely for the price of the other to go up as well. Ditto for the reverse situation.

What do you think?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
OA for this is B.

freetheking's response sounds quite valid.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 785 [0]
Send PM
I agree.. I am wrong here... :roll: I fell into the same trap again... but I am not claiming to be correct 100% of time... just some answers overpower the others in my mind... not a big deal... :wink:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Send PM
mailtheguru wrote:
Despite the approach of winter, oil prices to industrial customers are exceptionally low this year and likely to remain so. Therefore, unless the winter is especially severe, the price of natural gas to industrial customers is also likely to remain low.

(A) Long-term weather forecasts predict a mild winter.
(B) The industrial users who consume most natural gas can quickly and cheaply switch to using oil instead.
(C) The largest sources of supply for both oil and natural gas are in subtropical regions unlikely to be affected by winter weather.
(E) Oil distribution is more likely to be affected by severe winter weather than is the distribution of natural gas.

I will go with B.
These are my thoughts.
I think the Q. is asking us to support the conclusion and not find the inference. ( I might be wrong here!!). The conclusion is natural gas prices will not change because oil is cheap.

A. Since the consumers can move from oil to NG. If the price of NG increases then the demand for it will go down, which will obviously will bring the price down again. So this supports the conclusion.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Easy B.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
Late but B.

I caught between B and D. I had similar thought like u2lover and corrected myself.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
I think this one is pretty straightforward. I'll go with B.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Critical Reasoning (CR) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6925 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts