Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 04:07 It is currently 05 May 2024, 04:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1136 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
 Q50  V34
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 785 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Excellent!!! Huge CONGRATS!!! Please debrief us about your prep!!!

I will burn my books too... somewhere on a Northern California beach :wink:

party time :band
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AWA question [#permalink]
As for 2nd AWA, if I did not the the next button before time was up, can the system automatically save what I have written on the screen? I finished my essay but the clock ran out before I could click. will it be scored? have u ever heard of such a case???
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
don't worry it will be saved. I've never clicked the button also.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congratulations parthac!!

Great score... good luck for the apps!!
Stay away from the fire when you burn the books... :-)
:beer
Intern
Intern
Send PM
thanks guys [#permalink]
hey guys
thanks for all your wishes......"burning the books" was just a hyperbole. I do not mean it. But after i get drunk tonight, I just might.......who knows.........
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Debreif that I promised [#permalink]
Guys,
here is the debreif that I promised. First, my background, I am a 32 yr old male with a MS degree. I have been working as a scientist in a pharmaceutical company and planning a career switch. Setting up my own little business is on cards too.....lets see. Overall, i am satisfied with my 710 score but feel that, I could have scored 730-750 at my best. I think, my quant performance was less than usual but my verbal was on-the-dot accurate.

ok, now with intro out of the way - my GMAT day started very well. I felt confident and relaxed. slept great for 7 hrs. my exam was at 8am, 15 min drive from home. reached there in time and was happy to see that all seats were taken.......why is that good u ask???? there are two little rooms in both ends of the exam room that have doors and u are the only human inside. I got one of those rooms.....sweet.....first AWA went very well. I feel good about them. used some catchy phrases, some quotes, some sayings....overall, I think, i should score 5.5-6 (I might be proven wrong, of course). next I took the break. when I went back in the room for quant, I sensed some trepidation in me. I told myself that I prepared well and prepared hard, so, I need not worry. but given how high stake this GMAT turns out to be for someone who wants an MBA, I couldn't help but get a little jittery, something that I regret even now. But, i don't think, I could have prepared more than I did and it would have prevented that. I think, it came from realizing in the subconcious, this exam is high stake.

anyway, my quant started out pretty easy. but after that, the difficulty level rapidly ramped up. actually i got stuck in the 3rd question itself for sometime (4-5 min) and that contributed to weaking my nerves a bit more. eventually, it was a stupid little thing that I failed to see in the question that threw me off. once i figured that out, i was on my way again. but now in addition to nerve pressures, I had time pressure too. But I knew, i had lot of way to go and will make up. the difficulty kept ramping up. my overall impression is - quant was pretty difficult compared to what you see in OG. gmatprep is a good practise but don't be surprised if you are challenged more in quant in the real thing. I got way too many DS questions, I felt. they just kept comming. most of them were number properties and inequality stuff. I think, I had prepared quite a bit for that. lots of exponent questions too. there was a statistics questions which I have never even heard of....called it something like lef and stem data presented in a wierd table format. I tell you, I was completely foxed and decided to not spend another second on it, guessed and moved on. at the end, i had to guess last two questions without reading them because I had 30 secs left. I was very sad. i told myself that I had screwed the quant royally by getting nervous. My heart sank somewhat. I took my 10 min break and went out. outside, I had some water and a dark chocolate. told myself, no use mourning over something which i can't go back and change. I mentally let some battle cry(s) out to get my sagging spirits up and cooled my nerves down. i told myself, if I crack the verbal to my best of abilities, I might be able to balance my not-so-shiny performance in quant.
by the time I went back, I had spent 1.5 mins more than alloted for my break and the computer told me that this 1.5 minutes will be deducted from my verbal section. I did not care because, I have never had time issues in verbal. most often, I finished 10-12 minutes early in my practise sessions.

verbal started out pretty good, lots of long long RC passages with 4-5 questions each. sentence correction did not pose much of a problem. RC was good. To make sure that i REALLY did my best in verbal, I spent much more time on each question than i usually do. but all this while, i kept an eye on the clock. It would be pathetic if i had to guess some questions in this section where I am pretty strong. Time was not much an issue throughout. i remember that a RC about literature gave me sort of a headache. some CRs were tough but I moved on once I thought over very carefully and had selected an answer. I was very cool throughout the verbal. I feel, I spent a lot more focussed mental power on verbal. My mind was like a beam of laser in this section. i did not think about the previous question, trying to second guess my selection once I had moved on. This was good because there is not point in doing so and it just wreaks your confidence. I just wish, i had been more gathered and had similar laser-focus in quant. if i had done that, i would be sitting with a 730-750 score. anyway, I finished the section with 30 secs to spare. moved through the biographical info crap and then selcted to see the score. while the hourglass turned while the system calculated my score, I closed my eyes for those few seconds and prayed. when I openeed my eyes, I saw 710. i literally jumped from my chair. after my subpar quant performane, I was expecting to dip below 700 which to me, would have been a disaster, specially after all the prep work I had done. I could jump from my chair beacuse I was in that little closed room alone. the attendent came and knocked my door. I pulled the door open so hard that I slightly banged it against the wall. i made a apologietic gesture to the rest of the candidates for my outburst. I did not mean to disturb them. i certainly did not.... anyway, i was ecstatic at the moment, went to my wife's work to show her the score personally. I have to thank her for standing by my side and continiously prodding me and encouraging me. This is as much her success as is mine. She was very happy too. Bought a bottle of the most expensive french champagne available at the store, a bottle of single malt scotch and headed home........DONE, finally!!!!

I will post my prep methods and recommendations seperately. ask any questions that you may have. Thank you guys and thanks a lot to this entire forum and its members.

edited by praetorian: congratulations, but please avoid unnecessary use of language. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congratulations!! great score
How would you compare verbal with OG11.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
congrats...
could you brief also on your prep strategy..
Intern
Intern
Send PM
verbal comparison with OG [#permalink]
ghantark,
verbal of OG is very representative of what you see on the real deal. just remember that except for the last few, most of the OG material is 570-670 level. The importance of OG is in setting the tone and in knowing the mindset of the questions and how the test preparers whant us to think.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
prep strategy posted seperately [#permalink]
pparija wrote:
congrats...
could you brief also on your prep strategy..

i wanted to post the test strategy here. but somehow I ended up making it a different thread.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
prep strategy [#permalink]
cross posting.............

Prep time:
I worked on this for 4 months. there were some downtimes because of work and family. My work is very involved and very tiring. besides my wife works sfits at times and I have to take care of the baby (22 mnths) in the evening. so, My only good time to study was very early in the morning and some weekends. My weekday early monnings when I used to wake up at 4:30, start at 5 am and study till 7 am before going to work were lot more prodyuctive than weekends. weekends have been good for taking full length practise tests only. there were many family chores to take care of on weekends and sometimes my wife has to work weekends leaving me with the total responsibility to take care of the baby. I took one entire week off from work to focus. I think, that helped me a lot

Materials used:

kaplan 2002 : good to introduce u to questions types and some strategies. that where its utility ends.

kaplan 800: nice to challenge your brain but not absolutely critical, I think

PR 2002: if u have the kaplan, I wouldn't bother buying this. their test CD is a disgrace. questions repeat between tests.

OG 10th and 11th ed: absolutely the bible. i would recommend both if you have sufficient time and if not then at least the 11th ed. It gives you a lot of idea about the tone of the questions, how the test preparers think and such. I solved OGs in blocks of 40 question of the same type and timed them. within a block of 40, I used Ursula's excel worksheet to keep track of time for blacks of 10 questions within those 40 questions. I made a cross if i was not sure or if i was slow or if i found the question very clever. later on, I checked my answers and for the ones that I had made a comment and for the ones that I got wrong, I studied them in and out. after that, on a seperate folder, i maintained a list of "lessons learnt from mistakes". This helped me a lot in the last week of prep in going over my weaknesses and how I could make sure that same mistakes never happened again. absolutely invaluable.

Deltacourse: for probablity and counting methods. was helpful. by the time I was done, I felt (but probably not really) an expert on such questions. In real exam , I only got one probality question. would recommend.

MGMAT books: I bought the books for SC, the number properties and ineqality/VICs. absolutely gem. they were amazingly succint and through at the same time. I can't praise them enough. If i had to do it all over again, i would buy all their books. In particular, no GMAT taker should be without their SC book. very reasonable at amzon.com.

1000 docs: did some of them but ran out of time to finsish them all.

practise tests:

PR 2002 : 660
PR 2002 : 690 (stopped after this beacuse the questions repeat themselves in the CATs)
kaplan 2002: 590
MGMAT CAT 1 : 640
MGMAT CAT 2 : 670
MGMAT CAT 3 : 680 (u can add 30-50 points to ur mgamat scores, they are pretty tough)

Gmatprep 1: 710
gmatprep 2: 730
gmat prep reinstall: 750
gmatprep reinstall 2: 710 (I was too tired for this particular practise test)

overall, my gmat prep tests as you can see, were very representative both in difficulty level and in terms of score. i think, most of the people had similar experience. i never busted the 50 scaled score in quant but hovered between 46-49. My verbal scaled always hovered above 90 percentile.

Gmat club: the only form i consistently visted and gained a lot from in terms of tips, study material etc. I want to thank you all the umpteenth time and still feel like thanking you all more.

AWA : no practise, just browsed through the AWA section in OG the night before the d-day. individual starategy may vary depending on your own evaluation of your ability to write impromptu. I felt good about AWA after I gained some pointers from this club and the AWA section in OG.

I have tons of material in electronic format that I collected from this website and others which I will be more than happy to share. Let me know if you need anything in particular. Also, If someone wants to buy my books and materials, we can negotiate a package deal which will be very attractive for the buyer. let me know by email.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats parthac..great score :cool ..I wanted to ask one thing regarding ur prep...if u rate ur prep months wise - i mean 1st month 2nd month ...4th month - which month do u consider the most fruitful..

-Guleri
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
uguleri wrote:
Congrats parthac..great score :cool ..I wanted to ask one thing regarding ur prep...if u rate ur prep months wise - i mean 1st month 2nd month ...4th month - which month do u consider the most fruitful..

-Guleri

Guleri,

each month had a different importance. 1st month was getting used to GMAT questions and format, the GMAT mindset, 2nd and3rd were practise learning. last month was spent fine-tuning, taking full length practise exams and consolidating all the lessons lerant from mistakes that I made in OGs and practise tests.

In fact, I maintained a very careful log of my mistakes and wrote comments to myself about how I made that mistake and what did I learn from it. I also took the last week off from work to focus and consolidate further.

hope that helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Parthac u were lucky to take a week off before the exam.It must have been good for ur prep.Here I have taken a date in Sept and still wondering how get that day off :lol: .My boss doesn't allow even a half day leave.

Lets c wat happens.Any ways thanks for suggesting the importance of error logs.Will try to follow the same.

-Guleri
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
First of all, I would like to say congratulations to you on your score. I was wondering how you prepared for your verbal. What was your strategy?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
verbal prep [#permalink]
vt2000 wrote:
First of all, I would like to say congratulations to you on your score. I was wondering how you prepared for your verbal. What was your strategy?

Hi,
as far as my verbal starategy is concerned:
CR and RC: i had a strike rate of 95% from the beginning, so, I can't say I prepared much for that.....just whatever I got out of practise tests and some OG11

SC: this was a point of major focus. MGMAT SC booklet was of enormous help. I also practised both OG10 and OG 11th sections.

Most important thing in SC like any other section is to ponder over the mistakes u make in verbal and remember how you can avoid them.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats!! (Better late than never!)

GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37386 posts