Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 14:02 It is currently 07 May 2024, 14:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
pelihu wrote:
I was just thinking about the scenario where you guys were given the 3 profiles. You guys said that "Jed" had very impressive recommendations. I was wondering if you could comment on why you found them so impressive.

I have been under the impression that poor recommendations can kill you but excellent recommendations don't really do that much to help you. The reason, I have heard, is because each person can choose his recommenders so most applicants (and pretty much all admitted applicants) have stellar recommendations.

So why were his so special?

BTW Rhyme, Chicago has definitely made my list, but as you know I will be applying in R2. I'm not trying to time the market; I just need to wrap a bunch of stuff up before I can deliver my best application.

It was what I'd call gushing. It ends with a statement like "Don't miss this superstar." Rose said, and I quote, "We don't get many like that." Its interesting really, because the rec was low on specifics - lots of general statements "Jed is a great leader" with no real examples behind them. I thought it made it weaker but the adcoms loved it.

I'll see if I cant find it later tonight and post some quotes here.

That is just totally different than what every Adcom has told me. They have universally said that specifics are really important and that general comments like those do not help in the process. They also say that title and position of the writer doesn't matter - I wonder if that is true.

Sometimes, I just think that Adcoms have a "company line" about the types of things they want to see in an application, but when it comes to actually reviewing applications, human nature takes over.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'll be a rd. 2 at Kellogg with a rec from one of their alums - the first to go to med school and get an mba together.

We will see if that helps - I wont hold my breath but I will have a good app to hand in there. I also have a rec coming from a GSB guy - but I am only doing Kellogg. Chicago is quant based...I want to stay away from that.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
Lich wrote:
rhyme I was also at Chicago GSB for Fall Preview. Did you really get the impression that GPA would be a deal breaker? Who did you talk to? I'm asking this because I am in the same boat, low GPA from a good school, but really high GMAT.

Well... look at who they picked out of the tree applicants....

Jed

Arrogant young kid with 3 years work experience.
Completely unable to articulate why GSB or frankly, why an MBA.
Copied his why gsb from richard montauk almost word for word (they themselves told us this!)
Used his kellogg essay to answer a GSB question and failed to answer the GSB question.
but had a 4.0GPA and 760 GMAT.

Compared to:

Immensly sucessful entreprenuer with a 3.2 gpa and 710 GMAT who could probably teach poeple a TON of things about starting a company. (I cant recall her name - Zoe or something like that)

Or

Interesting woman who has worked in non-profit, some leadership issues or concerns possibly but certainly a different applicant.

I dont know, you tell me....

Am I overconcluding?

Ryhme, I don't understand something. Were these actual applicants who were admitted, or were they hypothetical people?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
flapjack wrote:
rhyme wrote:
Lich wrote:
rhyme I was also at Chicago GSB for Fall Preview. Did you really get the impression that GPA would be a deal breaker? Who did you talk to? I'm asking this because I am in the same boat, low GPA from a good school, but really high GMAT.

Well... look at who they picked out of the tree applicants....

Jed

Arrogant young kid with 3 years work experience.
Completely unable to articulate why GSB or frankly, why an MBA.
Copied his why gsb from richard montauk almost word for word (they themselves told us this!)
Used his kellogg essay to answer a GSB question and failed to answer the GSB question.
but had a 4.0GPA and 760 GMAT.

Compared to:

Immensly sucessful entreprenuer with a 3.2 gpa and 710 GMAT who could probably teach poeple a TON of things about starting a company. (I cant recall her name - Zoe or something like that)

Or

Interesting woman who has worked in non-profit, some leadership issues or concerns possibly but certainly a different applicant.

I dont know, you tell me....

Am I overconcluding?

Ryhme, I don't understand something. Were these actual applicants who were admitted, or were they hypothetical people?

Actual applicants with some stuff ommited - like their real name, and their real employer. Basically real applicants with scrubbed data.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
OasisNYK wrote:
I'll be a rd. 2 at Kellogg with a rec from one of their alums - the first to go to med school and get an mba together.

We will see if that helps - I wont hold my breath but I will have a good app to hand in there. I also have a rec coming from a GSB guy - but I am only doing Kellogg. Chicago is quant based...I want to stay away from that.

You know I used to think Chicago was a quant school too, they've done a lot to dispell that in all the sessions I went to. I'm honestly convinced its one of those things you hear that isn't really rooted in fact - like Cornell being the #1 suicide school in the US because of it's bridges.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
You guys are really messing with my head. Reading all these profiles makes me think I'll get nowhere.

But while you're at it - please keep busting your @sses for all your essays as long as you don't look at INSEAD or IMD. I think I've got enough competition already >:/
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
necromonger wrote:
You guys are really messing with my head. Reading all these profiles makes me think I'll get nowhere.

But while you're at it - please keep busting your @sses for all your essays as long as you don't look at INSEAD or IMD. I think I've got enough competition already >:/

I promise no INSEAD. No IMD.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1136 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
 Q50  V34
Send PM
[#permalink]
necromonger wrote:

What is your address? I am thinking of sending an anthrax letter :-D
Can't you apply to INSEAD in 2007?
But I promise no IMD.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
ps_dahiya wrote:
necromonger wrote:

What is your address? I am thinking of sending an anthrax letter :-D
Can't you apply to INSEAD in 2007?
But I promise no IMD.

HAHA
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2