Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 18:59 It is currently 02 May 2024, 18:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
I have not yet submitted any applications, but I would take their message at face value. Kellogg likes to interview everyone that applies, but if they are not able to, then I would believe them when they say it won't count against you.

Well put. Agreed.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I would hope as Pelihu put it, that it shouldn't count against me.

As far as IP Addresses are concerned, they actually do use it, not for what I mentioned but to track where the recommendations are coming from.

It is a known fact that some people write their own recommendations creating fake email id's and submitting them. Well, if they submit their reccos from the same IP and as well as their applications, then they for sure are doomed.

But I guess people doing this are not being honest, and will be caught in one way or another.

But IP address tracking is a fact, in as far as I know from one HAAS graduate of 2001.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hindustan wrote:
I would hope as Pelihu put it, that it shouldn't count against me.

As far as IP Addresses are concerned, they actually do use it, not for what I mentioned but to track where the recommendations are coming from.

It is a known fact that some people write their own recommendations creating fake email id's and submitting them. Well, if they submit their reccos from the same IP and as well as their applications, then they for sure are doomed.

But I guess people doing this are not being honest, and will be caught in one way or another.

But IP address tracking is a fact, in as far as I know from one HAAS graduate of 2001.

Interesting point actually.

My recommender submitted his rec for Cornell while visiting the city and crashing with me.

Hence, his rec, my ip.

I wonder if thats why I havent had an interview.

It's possible.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
WEll I am in the same boat. My recommender submitted from work from my PC.

Will that count against me?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am not sure if that was or will be counted against you Rhyme.

I guess some guys/gals spoil it for the rest of us.....and that does suck big time. I am not sure whether all univs do it. Haas does it for sure. I won't be surprised if others follow suit.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Hic [#permalink]
I didn't know that the IP address involved.
As a matter of fact, my recommenders did write the LOR, then had someone translate it, then sent to me to see "if it's okie" (sound weird, but we have such a good relationship). If I say okie, they forward the email to me, and I just submit the LORs myself.
Can I fake the IP? Or have some of my friend in Singapore or somewhere do it for me? It's really funny if I bother my recommenders that much to submit a number LORs to all schools (I will probably apply for 6 or 8 schools).....
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
You know I was thinking .... How many of us worked on our apps from work where the external IP is the same for everyone ?

Maybe they don't use this as much as we think...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
 Q49  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
I just could not resist commenting on this. If this really is something being tracked, a lot of people might be in trouble.

Inside a corporate network, 2 computers (one of which is yours and the other your supervisor's) may well have the same external IP address (which is the one visible to anyone on the internet). The smaller the company you work for, the higher the probability that this is indeed the case.

I have strong doubts about this being used by schools. Technically, its plain stupid. Of course, I'll shut up if someone has proof :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
There are so many ways this can backfire, some of which have already been mentioned. I have a hard time understanding how schools could/would use this as a definitive piece in the admissions process.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
:( :(

i submitted my own recos from my mac....im screwed

j/k - In no way do the schools hold this against you. Like rhyme said, what if your boss is submitting your reco from work (where you submitted your app from). Business schools cant assume things on the fly.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I don't have proof personally, but it is based on a reliable source who graduated HAAS. Whether this is used by HAAS right now, or by any other univ and the fact that univs use this to track, is probably exagerated.

Similar stuff I can re count form my exp at Urbana Champaign, when lots of second yr transfer students form Manipal Institue of Tech India were caght for cheating in assignments (programming classes)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm wondering if this is just an extra step for some schools, and if they notice recommendations from the same IP, they will pick-up the phone to verify.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
swgotz wrote:
I'm wondering if this is just an extra step for some schools, and if they notice recommendations from the same IP, they will pick-up the phone to verify.

agree
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Okie, it's good to know actually. Now they will receive my LORs from anywhere on the world but US.
[evil laugh]
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
If an admissions officer suspected that the LOR was fake based on the IP address, the logical procedure would be to contact the LOR writer to verify the statements she makes in the letter.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Haha, Hjort, I was just kidding. I surely have someone do that for me, just because I don't want to bother my recommender to much...
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, and Accounting
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q47  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
You know I was thinking .... How many of us worked on our apps from work where the external IP is the same for everyone ?

Maybe they don't use this as much as we think...

I, for one.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2