Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 11:56 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 11:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 412 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 783 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Matt,

SUPERB!!! I can smell your victory all the way across the ocean!!! :P :-D I had no doubt about you getting that desired score!!! Keep this attitude throughout your application process!!!

All the best and let me know when you're about to visit Kirkwood!!! I'll go too!!!

Best,
u2lovergirl
GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 693 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
 Q51  V50
Send PM
[#permalink]
I knew it was just a matter of time. Three cheers for Matt!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Matt, congratulations :woohoo

Good luck with apps..
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 992 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congratulations from both of us here Matt (me & my daughter) :) You are the man. You never gave up!

We all here in the club wish you all the very best buddy. Please feel free to contact me anytime.

Cheers :beer
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for the recognition guys! Unfortunately, I am going to have a difficult time convincing some adcoms that my quantitative is at par with the rest of their applicants. Nevertheless, I am now participating in various b-school blogs and forums at a cluster of schools that I intend to apply at in R2. The underdog story is just beginning...

Essays, the next stage, are just as, if not more challenging than the GMAT. We have to switch our minds from passively scanning information to actively creating a compelling "brand" for ourselves. Each one uniquely tailored to the school that we fit into best.

Yesterday was "composition day one" and I just stared at a blank word document for two hours before I could find a theme to start from. Every single one of those 500 words (per essay) has to stick. Schools want to know exactly why we want to study there. What we have to offer to our cohort groups, what we will do immediately after finishing our MBA etc. This is very difficult to articulate in a two to three page essay.

Like Pelihu said, it's nose to the grindstone from now until the end of the year....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Matt,

With a clear improvement in scores and a unique background should help you prepare well for the applications. Make your target school choices carefully, and maximize the impact for every app. You never know what catches an adcom's eye!

You've been an awesome source of perseverance and I'm sure many will appreciate and learn from what you've been through and where you are now. For now quit the GMAT obsession and begin the app obsession ;) and everyone here will hop to hear good news from you when you finish your applications in an year! You should also consider the fact that many you interacted with here will perhaps go on to great schools and they can help you in your applications process.

Good luck,
-n
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats GMATT73 !! This is an amazing effort and a great example of perseverance. I wish you all the very best for your applications !!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I guess I am always late ... but CONGRATULATIONS MATT!!!!! - I am yet to accumulate the confidence to book another date ....
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1448 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Great ! I am very happy for you ! All the best for your future.

If IMD is one of your target schools, I would be please to advise your during the application process.

Christoph
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
christoph wrote:

If IMD is one of your target schools, I would be please to advise your during the application process.

Christoph

Thanks Christoph. I'm currently looking at a handful of schools in the States around upper tier two and lower tier one range. Will apply to one or to long shot programs as well. Never considered IMD. Does the school year begin in the fall as well?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
perseverance!
This word fits perfectly. I truly admire your character.
If I were a adcom committe member, I will select you! :lol:

I need to thank you because your posts (in verbal) helped me a lot, moreover your story inspired me.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
died4me wrote:
perseverance!

I need to thank you because your posts (in verbal) helped me a lot, moreover your story inspired me.

Your words are really taken to heart. The fact is, based on my exhaustive research over the past few months, almost every top 20 ranked program, excluding HSW, has a standard GMAT range of 640~750. That being the case, I expect my chances of admission at a competitive program for 2007 to be about 1%.

In all honesty, I am pouring all my energies into the essays and will apply this round will the intention of "getting a foot in the door for 2008." Realistically, I need to spend at least six months studying the fundamentals: statistics, calculus, micro/macro economics and finance. Courses which are now availible worldwide from the flexible UC Online Extension Center.

Therefore, WCS, assuming that I get dinged at every school I apply at this year, I will retake the GMAT next summer with (hopefully) stronger math skills, targeting the 680+ range. From personal and empirical observations, moving from a consistent 550 to 600 is a step up, from 600 to 650 is a jump, but, IMHO, from 640 to 680+ takes "a solid understanding" of either Q or V. I am going to target Q because, no matter which school we ultimately choose, Babson or Boston, that first year core will be essentially math intensive.

That being said, see you back in the forum after the new year.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1448 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
GMATT73 wrote:
christoph wrote:

Christoph

Thanks Christoph. I'm currently looking at a handful of schools in the States around upper tier two and lower tier one range. Will apply to one or to long shot programs as well. Never considered IMD. Does the school year begin in the fall as well?

No. It starts in January. Only 1 intake. And its a short program. So it may not suit you. But its a great school. BW recently ranked it at 1 in Europe. Very nice surrounding. Just in front of the lake of Geneva ;-)

https://www.imd.ch
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
christoph wrote:
GMATT73 wrote:
christoph wrote:

Christoph

No. It starts in January. Only 1 intake. And its a short program. So it may not suit you. But its a great school. BW recently ranked it at 1 in Europe. Very nice surrounding. Just in front of the lake of Geneva ;-)

https://www.imd.ch

Splendid school website Christof, thanks for the link. My first impression of the school is that it is somewhat of a "United Nations MBA Program." Must be a very invigorating learning enviornment. :P
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
GMATT73 wrote:
died4me wrote:
perseverance!

Your words are really taken to heart. The fact is, based on my exhaustive research over the past few months, almost every top 20 ranked program, excluding HSW, has a standard GMAT range of 640~750. That being the case, I expect my chances of admission at a competitive program for 2007 to be about 1%.

In all honesty, I am pouring all my energies into the essays and will apply this round will the intention of "getting a foot in the door for 2008." Realistically, I need to spend at least six months studying the fundamentals: statistics, calculus, micro/macro economics and finance. Courses which are now availible worldwide from the flexible UC Online Extension Center.

Therefore, WCS, assuming that I get dinged at every school I apply at this year, I will retake the GMAT next summer with (hopefully) stronger math skills, targeting the 680+ range. From personal and empirical observations, moving from a consistent 550 to 600 is a step up, from 600 to 650 is a jump, but, IMHO, from 640 to 680+ takes "a solid understanding" of either Q or V. I am going to target Q because, no matter which school we ultimately choose, Babson or Boston, that first year core will be essentially math intensive.

That being said, see you back in the forum after the new year.

Matt, You are correct that 680+ requires a solid understanding of either Q or V.. not both!! If you can master some basics of Q, you can score 680+. Have you tried the Challenge 25? It is a great tool to improve your Q skills. If you understand all the questions from these challenges, you will get 47+ in Q easily.
Somehow, if you end up applying for 2008 (I may end up like that) and If you need any help with Q, just let me know.

Cheers!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats...chief... I knew you would pull it off!!!

Folks some bad news on my side...after my recent merger..my dang new managment has discontinued funding my Exec-Mba ......grrrr!!

gonna hit the app rounds again....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey buddy!!

Congrats!! What a fight back man!
I got 300 in Jan this year and then got a 470 in Sep this year..... :cry:

I am working for a 600+ too this time man....

Please tel me what else can i do apart from ur brief?

Thanks

-K
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   
Moderator:
Founder
37319 posts