Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:36 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
GMATT73 wrote:
HongHu wrote:
Matt,

I read your entire thread and just want to let you know that I know how you feel. Sometimes the goal is just one reach away yet that one last step seems so hard to get across. I also know the feeling of being trapped in millions of different tasks and duties when one can seldomly find time for him/herself.

But I also know that conquering GMAT is something you really wanted, and I know you are not one that will easily give up.

It is the hardest time, when one has put in all his effort, without seeing the returns that he deserves. What I want to say to you is: Don't stop to believe. Have faith on yourself. You don't need to get up even ealier than you do now. You don't need to put in more hours that you don't know where you can find. You just need to be more efficient, more focused, and study more smartly. I've done it before, and you can too.

Please feel free to pm me if I can be any help.

Really appreciate your heartfelt consideration HongHu. In all honesty, my attitude is starting to shift from "must pass the GMAT with a XXX score" to more of a personal challenge of resolve and mental flexibility.

After failing three times, score is no longer an issue, because I could fail another three times and it really wouldn't make a difference. Understanding the logic behind the test, why the questions are asked, how such problems will be relevant in b-school and ultimately success in the real business world is of greater importance.

For example; SCs teach us to craft clear and concise documents. CRs train us to use evidence and assumptions to attack another's argument. DSs check our ability to solve a hypothetical problem given a limited amount of information.

I truly believe these skills are drilled because schools would like us to all be "primed to think" critically and analytically amongst our cohorts when it comes to solving complex case studies. Somehow, there is a method to the madness...

Actually you are right Matt because I have been noticing the value of critical reasoning all ready in my current job though I am not in any sort of management position.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1122 [0]
[#permalink]
Matt,

I just read this thread and I just admire your tenacity and determination!

Good luck with everything and I really hope you get the score you want as you truly deserve it!!! Don't ever give up!!!!!!!

TeHCM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
all the best buddy!
i hope this time you ll get what you deserve.
!thumbs up!

no sarcasm here :wink:
BEST OF LUCK!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1448 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
All the best my dear friend !!! Go For It !!!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
Hah, I looked up the lyrics to that linked youtube...

Seems appropriate. With a few edits.

I don't know what to say really.
Fours hours to the biggest battle of our professional lives all comes down to this. Either we heal as a team or we are going to crumble.
Point by point, sentence correction by sentence correction, till we're finished. We are in hell right now, gentlemen believe me and we can stay here and get the sh|t kicked out of us or we can fight our way back into the light. We can climb out of hell. One point, at a time.

Now I can't do it for you. My fingerprint doesn't match their database.
I look around and I see these young faces and I think I mean I made every wrong choice a mba applicant man could make.

You know when you get the GMAT books, things get taken from you.
That's, that's part of life. But, you only learn that when you start losing stuff. You find out that life is just a game of pointes. So is the GMAT. Because in either game life or GMAT, the margin for error is so small. I mean one half mouse click too late or to early you don't quite click "A". One half second too slow or too fast and you don't quite click "E".
The points we need are everywhere around us. They are in every break of the GMAT every minute, every second.

On this team, we fight for that point On this team, we tear ourselves, and everyone around us to pieces for that point. We CLAW with our finger nails for that point. Cause we know when we add up all those points that's going to make the f*****g difference between WINNING and LOSING between LIVING and DYING.

I'll tell you this in any fight it is the guy who is willing to die who is going to win that point. And I know if I am going to have any life anymore it is because, I am still willing to fight, and die for that point because that is what LIVING is. The six points in front of your face.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
That was a great piece you wrote here, rhyme.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Sept 2006 had to be the most humiliating moment of my life. Just couldn't go down like that...No way! Six weeks of consistent daily prep between lunch hour breaks, on the subway to and from work, followed by bi-weekly CATs on Sundays and Thursdays (after work).

The past seven practice CATs were all in the 640-660 range (without AWAs) so I decided to take the test as a warm-up a month early to gauge my current standing. Knowing that Dec 17th was still available, I was able to keep the stress and anxiety under control.

Walked in 30 min early refreshed from a good night's sleep and ready to exchange blows with PVue. Got fingerprinted, digital photographed, guzzled half a red bull and started ten minutes early at 12:10pm.

Essays were a breeze. Despite my original strategy of "putting minimal effort in the writing section and saving the stamina for the Q-V," I actually had a clear mind and few bones of contention to pick with the topics. Probably due to the red bull caffeine, I ended up writing 5-6 somewhat compelling paragraphs for each of the Argument/Issue topics. Writing essays has never been a problem area because it is the one aspect of the exam over which we have almost complete control. I hope to get the same as always 5~6.

Quantitative started out tricky. The first question was a work problem masqueraded as a multiple circuit motherboard involving the manipulation of three different, but not impossible, ratios. It was a four step problem that I simply could not decipher; even after five minutes and three futile attempts. When the clock read 69:59, I made an educated guess and moved on. The second problem was much easier (basic geometry) so I assume I must have been immediately dropped into the lower bin. After that, I literally BLAZED through the next 20 or so consecutive problems until I encountered something like this:

3^6*33^16 is approximately 10^x What is the value of x?

That has to be a mid 40s range make or break problem, because immediately after that the CAT gave me alternating problems that I either could or could not answer. It ultimately dialed in my Q range at 42.

Incidentally, I did get one problem on combinatorics and one problem on geometeric progression. Also encountered the old faithful "distance between the surface of a sphere inscribed in a cube of given length n." Yep, PVue is still testing that question after all these years :shock:

Took a 9 minute break, emptied the bladder, gobbled five or six oreo cookies and washed them down with that last 1/2 a red bull. Wrote out the grid A-B-C-D-E for the verbal and did a one minute meditation after the proctor signed the test back on (we have one minute to read the verbal instructions page).

Verbal began with two challenging SCs. One actually was testing the passive voice against two very tempting active alternatives and the other was a tricky S-V using the gerund verb as a subject (make sure you know this is singular!). Took extra precaution on these and finally saw the traps after 3-4 rereadings. Got two back to back RCs from question #6, both about economics (you lucky econ majors!!); one very lengthy (80~90 liner) on the change in worker productivity since the industrial revolution, and the other a convoluted stacked two paragrapher on the elasticity of demand in an emerging market. Swear it must have come straight out of a microecon textbook. Had to make a few 50-50 guesses, and then was faced with one extremely difficult statitistic CR inference question that probably required a venn diagram. As I have been practicing with LSAT CRs lately, I definately discovered that GMAT questions are easier, but get much more dense as we start to approach the V40 threshold. That being said, my abilities are still a little too fuzzy to single out that one "good looking answer choice." Finished the last SC, a modifier, with 2 seconds on the clock!! Phew :oops: Blue ink smudged all over the table and right hand, and the test center was starting to get dark as the sun was beginning to fade off.

Confirmed those eight survey questions and clicked "report scores."

Now here is where I need to make a distinction: I am not an IT engineer and I did not study social sciences in undergrad. Born to a single high school mother and on my own since 16, I payed my way through undergrad by first washing dishes and later selling goods to Japanese tourists in Hawaii as I had to acquire the language to survive. The more I studied the language the faster I switched jobs and ultimately landed a Japanese MOJ full scholarship here in Osaka. Consequently, I majored in Japanese (East Asian Languages) at UH Manoa and took the language all the way back to Japan and beyond. I never took either a technical or reading intensive course in college, and because Japanese is completely divergent from anything tested on the GMAT, I have been at an inherent disadvantage from the beginning. Nevertheless, it is not only an important predicter of b-school success, but is also an unavoidable prerequisite.

I now have to take the full gamut of courses: from stats to calculus between now and next fall in order to convince the adcoms that I can handle the rigor of the B1 core courses. This has been, and will continue to be a brutal uphill battle all the way, but here are the results of today's performance:

Sept 2006: 500 Q38/V22

Today: 640 Q42/V35

Nothing to brag about. As a matter of fact, whereas 99% of GMATClub members would use such a score report as toilet paper, I am actually going to squeeze it, with a 3.8 undergrad GPA, for everything it's worth and see if I can convince a few Trans-Elite adcoms. Indeed, my chances are slim, but if I get knocked back or waitlisted, then I have no fear of retaking in spring '07.

If however, by the grace of god and good fortune, I do happen to slip through a crack somewhere, then I would like to donate ALL of my GMAT Prep resources to an economically disadvantaged testaker from a third world country.

Over the course of the last 16 months I have collected and amassed almost every possible GMAT prep resource available. From Arco to Manhattan to Zutto (Japanese prep company), I have a library of books and CDROMs, paper tests, passcodes to question banks, etc... that I want to donate to a somebody from one of the following countries: Sub-Saharan Africa (not including South Africa), Cambodia, Laos, Iraq, or Afganistan. If you are a citizen from one of those countries and can somehow access GMATClub and read this message, and are even struggling to break the 550 barrier, please PM me with your contact details and I will send you everything I have free of charge after the new year. I made this promise in my prayers, so I am committed to helping those who lack the financial resources to make an MBA a reality.

Finally, I would like to extend a special thanks to a few people in particular.

@Praetorian: Thank you for creating this site and bringing together some of the most talented minds on our planet. I will meet you in person one day and shake your hand for all that you have done.

@Laxie: Thank you for all your support over the past year. I still owe you a gift since last summer. By the way, in case you all don't know already, Laxie is a stunning supermodel (with brains)!!!!

@Jon: Your coaching and private messages kept the fire burning after that humiliating defeat last summer. Good luck at Johnson buddy :-D

@Rudy: You (along with Honghu and Kevincan) are undisputably one of the most multifauceted and intelligent people I have ever met. I look forward to communicating with you more in the b-school application forum. Give your mixed retrievers a friendly scratch on the belly for me.

@Dahiya: "Sharp arrow," your math skills are awesome. Best of luck in all your future b-school endeavors.

@Vivek: Give that cute baby girl of your's a peck on the forehead for me. She's gonna be the next Laxie :wink:

@Haas: Thanksfor the software you sent a few months ago! It really helped in these past couple weeks.

@Antmavel: "Mi sasa es su casa" Still waiting for you to come over to Japan before I head back to the states next summer.

@U2Lover: Wax those skiis and do a couple of powder sprays at Kirkwood for me. U2 will score above 80-->90%. Believe in yourself, becuase you are next.

@Tomoko, Ken, Takehisa, and Ryo (my Japanese studdy buddies here in Osaka): Good luck at Emory, Cornell, and Columbia. I love you guys!

@Paul: Stay in touch with the verbal forum because your explanations are unparalleled. We all miss you.

@Comrade Yurik, Jaynayak, Buzz, Karlfurt, AK, Yezz, TeHCM... and many more: Good luck guys! Whatever you need, and however I can help you, just ask. Always glad to be of service :-D

R2 deadlines are around the corner so it's time to start burning up the keyboard.... that is before the powder snow falls :-D

Originally posted by GMATT73 on 17 Nov 2006, 08:02.
Last edited by GMATT73 on 17 Nov 2006, 10:36, edited 5 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats!!! :P What an amazing score improvement.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1133 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
 Q50  V34
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey MATT,

I am so happy for you. You made it. Your hard work is exemplary.
Congratulations :beer

Good luck for your apps. :good
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
GMATT73 wrote:

Sept 2006: 500 Q38/V22

Today: 640 Q42/V35

Whereas 99% of the GMATClub members would use such a score report as toilet paper, I am actually going to see if such a score, with a 3.8 undergrad GPA, can possibly catch the eyes of a few Trans/Elite adcoms. My chances are slim, but if I get knocked back or waitlisted, then I will take the test one more time.

Great improvement Matt. Your perseverance is unbelievable. No need for you to make excuses, you should be proud of your score. Besides, I get the feeling that a lot GMATClub members do horribly and do not post their score and many people flat out lie about their scores.

3.8 and 640(with drastic improvement) are very solid.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congratulations Matt, you're diverse background and your ability to articulate your thoughts very well, will be a tremendous advantage in your admissions process.

I wish you all the best!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 251 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm very glad to have positive news from u. :D :)..... U achieve it :D :)

Congratulations ! :D :D :)

As well, the reaction of all GMATClub members to u impressed me a lot :).... That's something that I will never forget :)

All the best for the next steps :D :)... Where do u plan to apply? :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Great acheivement Matt. I really appreciate your hard work and never give up attitude.

I am really happy for you. Hope you get into a school of your preferance.

I have learnt a lot from your posts and I am very thankful to you.

I am taking my GMAT on Monday the 27th. I will let you know once I am done.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Matt,

I am really happy for you buddy! You are one hardworking soul and I am really glad that your hardwork payed off. Don't worry, I think your GPA and your gmat score is very decent and on top of that you have international work experience. I think your entire app package will be a winning combination.

I took the exam last week and scored a miserable 610 after 3 tries with my lowest 510. I still have to work very hard, though I just don't have the energy to work on it for now... but I really admire your preseverance.

Good luck with everything

-uvs_mba
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1538 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Matt, that is a great increase and my heartiest congratulation! Your GPA is great and to tell you the truth, my flatmate got in LBS with a 640 GMAT! It's now about your counter-weighing factors and how you present it in essay format and at the interview. Your story is a great one and I'm sure it will inspire many in their own quest.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
CONGRATULATIONS MATT - I am soooooooooo happy for you.

I saw this email at work but could not log on (I have moved to a new division at an Ibank and am on the other side of the chinese wall and for some reason cannot access gmat club anymore - hence i rarely get a chance to post) but I had a feeling it was from you with some GOOD NEWS.

Best of luck with apps - I think you have an amazing story and should try to milk it for all you got and apply to those elite schools.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
MATT..................You have done it dude...I feel so happy for you...

B schools would love to take you with your life story .....You are just awesome....

Enjoy your day !!!! :-D
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts