Last visit was: 04 May 2024, 20:06 It is currently 04 May 2024, 20:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Schools:Berkeley Haas
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Re: TOEFL? [#permalink]
mailtheguru wrote:
I was reviewing the application requirements, when I noticed that the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required for international applicants who attended a non-English-speaking undergraduate university. I have a four-year engineering degree from University of Delhi, India, where medium of instruction was English.

Could someone please confirm that I do not need to take the TOEFL exam?

Stanford says "Take the TOEFL if you attended a non-English speaking college/university"

Harvard says the same thing.

Some schools waive it if you have been in an English speaking country for 2 years, but most school still require it. I had to take it for UNC, Gtown and Maryland while Wake Forest waived it. Wasn't a big deal though (compared to the GMAT), I didn't prepare for it and still got 117 (out of 120).
Manager
Manager
Send PM
luminos24 wrote:
mailtheguru wrote:
I was reviewing the application requirements, when I noticed that the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required for international applicants who attended a non-English-speaking undergraduate university. I have a four-year engineering degree from University of Delhi, India, where medium of instruction was English.

Could someone please confirm that I do not need to take the TOEFL exam?

Stanford says "Take the TOEFL if you attended a non-English speaking college/university"

Harvard says the same thing.

That will be DCE or NSIT...as far as i understand, you don't have to take TOEFL for either Harvard or Stanford....

This is from Stanford's website:

"All applicants to the Stanford MBA Program who do not have an undergraduate or graduate degree from a university at which the primary language of instruction is English must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)."

since, you do have a degree from a university where primary language of instruction is English...no need for a TOEFL...i have only come across one school that still needs TOEFL...#%#@$@#$ Haas!

:D. I prefer DIT. Also, I do have a masters from UT Austin. I guess, barring HAAS, i do not have to take TOEFL.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
braindancer wrote:
I'd rather email the adcom and ask. Would be rather sad if you got dinged because of a missing TOEFL.

Seconding this. Confirm it with them, and include a note on your application that the language of instruction was english.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 251 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
By my side, I have to take the TOEFL... This is for sure. :)

But the problem is that there is no more available date neither in France, in Luxembourg, in Germany nor in Belgium.... All seats are fully booked ! And, the dates for next Year are not yet given.

My deadline to apply for HEC would be at the end of next February. To maximize my chances, I want to use the first round for january 2008.

I called here or there... No one is able to give real information. It's going no where. I have to wait that a date would be available on their system...

I'm very disappointed.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 536 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Fig wrote:
By my side, I have to take the TOEFL... This is for sure. :)

But the problem is that there is no more available date neither in France, in Luxembourg, in Germany nor in Belgium.... All seats are fully booked ! And, the dates for next Year are not yet given.

My deadline to apply for HEC would be at the end of next February. To maximize my chances, I want to use the first round for january 2008.

I called here or there... No one is able to give real information. It's going no where. I have to wait that a date would be available on their system...

I'm very disappointed.

I had the same trouble when I did it in July. I couldn't find seats but in lost towns somewhere in Europe or in Turkey. I was about to take a low cost flight to Izmir, late in the evening for a test in the morning when I found a seat in Toulouse. So I had to take a flight from Germany where I was working, for that single test. I think if you go on the Toefl site and look for every city in Europe, you will surely find something for the next weeks.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 251 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Merci for your fast reply karlfurt :)

It's amazing that such a situation can exist. I was thinking it's a specific period or so on.... but it happened to u on July also.

I'm wondering what they do exactly. I heard as well from the Metz center that people come from any countries of Europe to take the TOEFL there :shock:

I should book longly in advance.... a terrible mistake.

Originally posted by Fig on 20 Nov 2006, 04:55.
Last edited by Fig on 16 Jan 2007, 00:02, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
mailtheguru wrote:
:D. I prefer DIT. Also, I do have a masters from UT Austin. I guess, barring HAAS, i do not have to take TOEFL.

yeah...DIT was better...now a days you can change name for any insititution or city in India...

I wonder when will they rename Delhi University to "Dilli University" :lol: :lol:

I don't think you need TOEFL even for Haas...this is from their webiste
"Applicants who received their degrees in countries other than the US, UK, Australia, or English-speaking Canada are required to take the TOEFL exam. This includes applicants with degrees from Bangladesh, Burma, Nepal, India, Pakistan, Latin America, the Middle East, North Africa, the People's Republic of China, Taiwan, Japan, Korea, Southeast Asia, and most European countries. Only applicants who have completed a full year of US university-level coursework with a grade of B or better are exempt from this requirement."

As per the last line, you should be exempted...you have completed your masters from UT-Austin..unless, offcourse, you scored lower than B grade :twisted:
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
braindancer wrote:
I'd rather email the adcom and ask. Would be rather sad if you got dinged because of a missing TOEFL.

I mailed these guys as soon as your reply. But i have not got a response yet. What is the regular waiting time for any replies from ad coms?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
Fig wrote:
Merci for your fast reply karlfurt :)

It's amazing that such a situation can exist. I was thinking it's a specific period or so on.... but it happened to u on July also.

I'm wondering what they do exactly. I heard as well from the Metz center that people come from any countries of Europe to take the GMAT there :shock:

I should book longly in advance.... a terrible mistake.

I´ve heard that's is the reason even some US schools are now accepting the IELTS (Cornell, Harvard, Chicago and UCLA for instance), is it true?
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]