Last visit was: 06 May 2024, 22:22 It is currently 06 May 2024, 22:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Re: Paul ur input needed... [#permalink]
Tajik4GMAT wrote:
pbodine wrote:
Tajik4GMAT wrote:

Tajik4GMAT,

If you are ever asked in an interview whether visa issues played a role in your master's, don't deny it (they'll understand), but I don't think you need to volunteer it in your essays. Much better to identify some reasons why a master's in econ is/was (a) relevant to your interests, experiences at the time you began it and (b) relevant to your career goals. You then need to identify some more recent experience that shows how you realized that a master's in econ was insufficient--some work experience changed your goals, for example. If you will be applying to B-school without work experiences---with only the undergrad degree and econ degree--then you are in a difficult spot and need more than just a good explanation for why the econ degree. B-schools really want to see some work experience.

Hope this helps,

Paul,

Thanks for your prompt response. Initially, I thought that econ was enough to get a job in financial industry. I took a Corporate Finance class last semester that turned everything upside down. That's when I realized that finance is not economics.

Tajik4GMAT,

I frankly don't think that you want to admit to them that you didn't understand the difference between econ and finance and which degrees are most suitable for would-be finance careers. That shows a lack of "savvy" or due diligence that may hurt you.

Good luck,
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Paul,

Tnx for ur input again. Any idea on how to better explain my situation? I do not know what else I can say :(
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Tajik4GMAT wrote:
Paul,

Tnx for ur input again. Any idea on how to better explain my situation? I do not know what else I can say :(

All I can suggest is to try to work out some kind of long-term career goal that could conceivable require some intensive economics exposure, to make that part of your education make sense and seem relevant to your long-term goals. Do some digging to see what kinds of careers or positions might specially value the educational profile you're accumulating.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
pbodine wrote:
Tajik4GMAT wrote:
Paul,

All I can suggest is to try to work out some kind of long-term career goal that could conceivable require some intensive economics exposure, to make that part of your education make sense and seem relevant to your long-term goals. Do some digging to see what kinds of careers or positions might specially value the educational profile you're accumulating.

Paul,

Thanks for ur input. I will definetely work on those areas you suggested. Tnx for the book tooo ;)
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Tajik4GMAT wrote:
pbodine wrote:
Tajik4GMAT wrote:
Paul,

Paul,

Thanks for ur input. I will definetely work on those areas you suggested. Tnx for the book tooo ;)

You're welcome.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]