Last visit was: 19 May 2024, 14:22 It is currently 19 May 2024, 14:22
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
lhotseface wrote:
Hansborough will think twice before dunking with 14 seconds to go and his team up by more than 10. Ever heard of running the clock ? Even in the NBA , he would received a hard foul..let alone Duke/UNC.

kidderek wrote:
pelihu wrote:
As Forde says in his article, it's easy for Duke & Coach K to take the high ground when they are winning, as they have in the past, but their true colors were revealed in this loss (and the one earlier this year where Hansborough was bloodied as well). In fact, the lasting images of this rivalry are Montrose being bloodied years ago, and then now Hansborough. Coach K had the gall to suggest that it was UNCs fault for having their key players in? And he was still calling timeouts and had his key players in - what a weasely hypocrite.

And the point is, there was no reason at all for a hard foul of any kind at that point in the game, no matter who is on the court. The fact that they wanted to foul Hansborough hard was nothing more than a cheap shot, because he had been outworking them all game.

I think Duke may have picked up a trick or two from the beating (physical) they took from St. John's.

It was off a missed free throw, and Duke was still fouling to extend the game and weren't letting them run out the clock. It's not like Hansborough drove in from 30 feet away with the intention of showing off. He picked up the ball near the hoop and put it up - that's what you do if the other team is continuing to foul. If Duke was admitting defeat, there was no reason anyone should have still been shooting foul shots - they could have started running out the clock 40-50 seconds earlier. But Duke was still calling timeouts and fouling.

BTW, ESPN.com is now reporting that Hansborough has a broken nose and a broken tooth from earlier in the game. Coach K finally realized his mistake and is admitting that there was no need for the hard foul. At least someone in his PR department was smart enough to tell him that he was coming across like a whiney (&^$(*&.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
kidderek wrote:
pelihu wrote:
Duke = sucky basketball team and sore losers. Coach K = the whiner we all knew him for.

I gather you didn't apply to Fuqua?

I did apply to Fuqua. As Forde says in his article, it's easy for Duke & Coach K to take the high ground when they are winning, as they have in the past, but their true colors were revealed in this loss (and the one earlier this year where Hansborough was bloodied as well). In fact, the lasting images of this rivalry are Montrose being bloodied years ago, and then now Hansborough. Coach K had the gall to suggest that it was UNCs fault for having their key players in? And he was still calling timeouts and had his key players in - what a weasely hypocrite.

And the point is, there was no reason at all for a hard foul of any kind at that point in the game, no matter who is on the court. The fact that they wanted to foul Hansborough hard was nothing more than a cheap shot, because he had been outworking them all game.

I hate Duke as much as anyone and I'm happy to see them lose and become a second tier team vs. UNC. But during ACC play Hansbrough has pretty well established himself as one of the dirtiest players in the league who liberally uses his elbows and unnecessarily throws his massive body into lose ball situations. He's a very skilled player but not a great athlete and he tries to make up for that by being overly physical (something he wouldn't get away with if he wasn't wearing baby blue). Add his frequent and obnoxious stare-downs and you get a truly hateable player.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Broken nose and tooth from earlier in the game ? Then, what the f*** was he doing there anyway ? Duke was fouling UNC since they had their starters in play. What about some class from UNC ? I guess their pathetic record in the last decade against Duke made them want a double digit win badly.

If you take out Psycho T's bloody face which made the foul look worse than any other hard foul, Henerson wouldn't even have been suspended.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
lhotseface wrote:
Broken nose and tooth from earlier in the game ? Then, what the f*** was he doing there anyway ? Duke was fouling UNC since they had their starters in play. What about some class from UNC ? I guess their pathetic record in the last decade against Duke made them want a double digit win badly.

If you take out Psycho T's bloody face which made the foul look worse than any other hard foul, Henerson wouldn't even have been suspended.

BTW, since we are quoting articles here is one on Psycho T
https://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/6530562
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
dukes wrote:
I hate Duke as much as anyone and I'm happy to see them lose and become a second tier team vs. UNC. But during ACC play Hansbrough has pretty well established himself as one of the dirtiest players in the league who liberally uses his elbows and unnecessarily throws his massive body into lose ball situations. He's a very skilled player but not a great athlete and he tries to make up for that by being overly physical (something he wouldn't get away with if he wasn't wearing baby blue). Add his frequent and obnoxious stare-downs and you get a truly hateable player.

Again, i've never heard of Hansbrough being classified as a thug or dirty player, and I have followed him since his high school days in Sikeston. He plays with intensity and passion, but there is nothing dirty about his game. It's almost like you are trying to excuse what happened to him by claiming he had it coming, which is clearly off base.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
eazyb81 wrote:
Again, i've never heard of Hansbrough being classified as a thug or dirty player, and I have followed him since his high school days in Sikeston. He plays with intensity and passion, but there is nothing dirty about his game. It's almost like you are trying to excuse what happened to him by claiming he had it coming, which is clearly off base.

I am not saying this the case here, but: Some people confuse hustle with dirty play.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hansbrough only knows one way to play - all out. It doesn't matter if the game is on the line or if it is garbage time. And how is he trying to dunk? He got the rebound after his miss and put it back up. All instinctive.

Duke was calling timeouts (as pointed out by another poster) AND still had their starters in. Plus there wasn't exactly a situation to make substitutions. How anyone can spin this to say Hansbrough/UNC deserved this is beyond me.

lhotseface wrote:
Hansborough will think twice before dunking with 14 seconds to go and his team up by more than 10. Ever heard of running the clock ? Even in the NBA , he would received a hard foul..let alone Duke/UNC.

kidderek wrote:
pelihu wrote:
As Forde says in his article, it's easy for Duke & Coach K to take the high ground when they are winning, as they have in the past, but their true colors were revealed in this loss (and the one earlier this year where Hansborough was bloodied as well). In fact, the lasting images of this rivalry are Montrose being bloodied years ago, and then now Hansborough. Coach K had the gall to suggest that it was UNCs fault for having their key players in? And he was still calling timeouts and had his key players in - what a weasely hypocrite.

I think Duke may have picked up a trick or two from the beating (physical) they took from St. John's.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
I would never say deserved, but basketball is a physical game. We can't all wring our white-gloved hands every time an elbow goes flying. I would say both men were playing hard -- in spite of the score and dwindling clock -- and that when you're going for it under the basket, you can expect some contact.

Only Henderson can tell us if he was trying to sucker-punch Hansborough...and he might not be able to tell us either. Crime of passion?
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
kidderek wrote:
eazyb81 wrote:

I am not saying this the case here, but: Some people confuse hustle with dirty play.

That's exactly right kidderek. He outworked Duke in this game, just like he tries to do in every game, but honestly this is the first time I have heard of Hansborough called a dirty player. I don't buy it, he takes more hard fouls than anyone. He's been bloodied twice this year by Duke, took countless elbows to the face the the GT game, been the subject of numerous flagrant fouls this year - almost certainly more than any other player in the nation. I bet no other player has been the subject of more than 2 flagrant fouls all year, he's been the target at least a half dozen times. He works harder than everyone else on the court, and they retaliate by trying to hurt him. I can't recall him hurting anyone ever in his career, despite how hard he plays.

At least he didn't sit on the bench crying like McRoberts in the first game. :lol: :lol: :lol: I know where he learned that from. In Hurley's first game against UNC, he was bawling on the bench.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Poor little Hansborough is so nice and cute...everyone wants to pull his cheeks. Sweet little baby...you have a bunch of groupies.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hmm, kinda OT, but how about we start a GMATClub March Madness tournament this year? I can organize it if there is enough interest...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am in for the tourney.

And Carolina who.........................GO BUCKS!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
batchgmat wrote:
Hmm, kinda OT, but how about we start a GMATClub March Madness tournament this year? I can organize it if there is enough interest...

I'm in GO TERPS....can someone start a thread for it? How bout we wager admits?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
lhmcjen wrote:
I am in for the tourney.

And Carolina who.........................GO BUCKS!

bucks got their butts handed to them by the gators, football and basketball

hahaha, i am a buckeye fan though.
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
Oh, oh, oh, waaaaahhh. :lol: lol: lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NElaIEymBb4

Should be a good tournament this year. Lots of movement at the top and a lot of teams that could make some noise.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
squali83 wrote:
batchgmat wrote:

I'm in GO TERPS....can someone start a thread for it? How bout we wager admits?

https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 461#300461

I share your TERPS sentiment!

FEAR. THE. TURTLE.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
Go badgers!

It's totally our year....(that little OSU game last week was a blip)
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7