Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 02:04 It is currently 07 May 2024, 02:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: Darden '15
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I read the thread GMATT73 it was fun to read :)

hrowaihy,
Are you sure someone can get 800 with 4 mistakes on each section? That doesn't seem right because making 4 mistakes on the verbal part (out of 37 questions) means that you need to get less than 90% of that section right, and with 90% one gets an 800?!?!?! thats weird
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am happy with 700, but 800 is almost like a score of someone who does not get tired during the test. I know a friend who scored 780 and he is quite normal, drink a lot and do some other things with his brain....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Were these 800 scores achieved before or after the new CAT format was put into place (~1999 or 2000)?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
According to GMAC, 51 is currently the highest possible score for both verbal and quantitative. 51Q/51V does currently result in an 800 score. 51Q/50V may possibly yield an 800 score as well. 50Q/51V yields a 780. This reflects the current weighting of the test - Q affects the overall score more at the higher ranges, while there seems to be little value to score above 45V.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
OG [#permalink]
hmmm, but how come in the OC it says that the max score for each section is 60?
In the table in the back a score equal or greater than 46V = 99%; and equal or grater 51Q = 99%.
Does anyone know how many max wrong answers for 46V and 51Q?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
GMAC said that the test is designed so that in the future, it can be scaled as high as 60, but currently, the maximum possible score is 51 on each section. I wouldn't be surprised if there is some movement in the near future, at least on the quantitative side. It's getting awfully crowded at the top, where going from 51 to 50 results in a 4 percentile drop.

Since it is a CAT, there's no way to predict how many you can miss to still get into the 99th percentile; and keep in mind that some questions are experimental. I would guess that you must do the quantitative section perfectly to score 51; for verbal I wouldn't be surprised is you could miss 3-4 and still get a 46. Again, it depends on the questions you get during the CAT.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 361 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
based on the gmatprep tests - it is possible to get 3 wrong questions and still get 51 in the q section... (it happened to me...) however myfirst mistake was at question 29...
i don't know how it is in the real GMAT.

also - i'm not sure it is impossible to get 52 in q and v, it is just highly unlikely.... it depends mainly on the level of questions in the database and those chose for you. there are probably very few questions aiming at discerning 51 from 52, and i guess that if you do even one mistake during the test the likelyhood of getting such question (and then getting it right) is very very low.
to the best of my knowledge there is no "decision" that 51 is the maximum, but it is a result of the amount/level of questions in the database.

pelihu is right saying that once 51 gets too crowded we'll see some 52s. it is so because once 51 gets crowded more people will get to answer hard questions, which will put some pressure in adding more questions discerning people at that level, which in turn will increase the likelihood of people getting 52. but i don't think it is a matter of changing the formula or changing the algorithm or an aware decision regarding maximum score.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 189 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
perfectscore.com

Javed

Cheers!
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator: