Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 07:42 It is currently 05 May 2024, 07:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

Stern vs. BU MBA/MS on full scholarship?

You may select 1 option
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I voted for BU. From my limited understanding of the situation, johnny is in healthcare coprporate finance and plans on going back. I have a couple of friends in corporate fianance and from what they say MBA rank is not important. It is the experience that matters, and johnny confirmed it in his previous posts. Also, these companies generaly don't recruit on campuses. So if I knew that I would not change jobs/industries and I knew that to succeed/open doors, an MBA rank is not a key, I would choose the cheapest alternative, in this case BU.

On the other hand, I like Stern (I applied there myself) and in EVERY other circumstance (career/industry change, undecided, etc.) I would choose Stern over BU. So johnny, if you decide to keep your options open, go to Stern. If you are one of the lucky few who trully have it all figured out than BU makes sense.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
I voted stern because I want to go out drinking with him and then post nonsense on here.

I can't think anyone can give a better reasoning than that.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kidderek - Thanks for setting this up, this is getting some interesting feedback I'm getting.

Lepium - You're right, you can only fool so many girls, I need to hang onto this one!

Econgirl - You've kind of hit on the crux of the whole thing -- I definitely do want to keep my options open, and Stern would obviously be the best way to do that.

Oz - Good points, I've tried to put the rankings and prestige considerations out of my mind and focus on the realities of career placement, ROI, etc....

3underscore - Probably the most compelling argument yet!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
First off, congrats Johnny! You knew your odds were good at either school. Given your career interests and the full ride, this is really a tough call. I'd probably take BU in order to keep post MBA debt to a minimum and save yourself the relocation nightmare. Both schools are reputable, so trust your own instinct.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Johnny,

I would suggest making your decision after attending both admit weekends. For me, it boiled down to the people finally.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Here's another perspective:

At NYU, you'll just be an average student. At BU, you'll be the rockstar full scholarship student!!!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
kidderek wrote:

At NYU, you'll just be an average student. At BU, you'll be the rockstar full scholarship student!!!

And at the university of Pheonix Online he'll be the best student they ever had. Doesn't mean, I'd chose them....
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
kidderek wrote:

And at the university of Phoenix Online he'll be the best student they ever had. Doesn't mean, I'd chose them....

Oh come on, BU is a very respectable school. btw, I voted Stern. Throughout all of johnny's posts, you can sense he wanted Stern badly.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
kidderek wrote:
rhyme wrote:
kidderek wrote:

And at the university of Phoenix Online he'll be the best student they ever had. Doesn't mean, I'd chose them....

Oh come on, BU is a very respectable school. btw, I voted Stern. Throughout all of johnny's posts, you can sense he wanted Stern badly.

I was just trying to make a point that just because, compartively speaking, he would be "above average" at BU doesnt, in my view, make a good case for choosing that school over Stern. I just took it to the extreme by using Pheonix Online... No doubt, BU is much much better than Pheonix Online.

I also voted Stern.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kidderek - Well to extend what you said, I guess my competition for internships and even jobs would presumably be lower at a less selective school. BU seems to place lots of people at places like Deloitte and Booz Allen Hamilton -- the same places where most Stern consultants end up. So if Deloitte comes to campus at BU and at Stern, maybe I'd stand out more at BU. Hard to say for sure though, I'll have to do a lot more research to really understand how recruiting compares at the two schools.

But you're right, I really do want Stern, the prestige and the chance to be in NY for two years would be amazing.

I feel like I've really been a self-indulgent jackass who's been monopolizing space on the boards the last few days with my whining and indecision, but it's been really helpful hearing all these different points of view.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
johnnyx9 wrote:
I feel like I've really been a self-indulgent jackass who's been monopolizing space on the boards the last few days with my whining and indecision, but it's been really helpful hearing all these different points of view.

Don't worry, man, if we had anything more important or interesting to do, we wouldn't be hanging around here so much. :lol:
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]