Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 05:38 It is currently 05 May 2024, 05:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
thanks guys! i was mainly thinking that since i hadn't taken any courses in the field, the HR stuff might be thought valuable in teaching me about work-related issues more? in any case, i guess research is more important :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
[#permalink]
A job in HR could definitely help you understand work-related issues, which could be useful sometime down the road when you're teaching undergrads or MBAs and you want to have some idea of what you're talking about. However such work experience will not necessarily make you a better teacher. On the other hand, the skills you'd acquire doing research (especially if it's in a field that's broadly related to OB) will help you for sure in "getting your hands dirty". Since the people who'll evaluate your application will most be concerned with your research potential, I think research is your better option.

(Note that this comment DOES imply that you won't get many research ideas just by being exposed to work-related issues. This is my opinion, rather than a fact. Based on my experience, it applies to accounting, but whether it extends to other business fields, I don't know. I'd guess it does.)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 361 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
(Note that this comment DOES imply that you won't get many research ideas just by being exposed to work-related issues. This is my opinion, rather than a fact. Based on my experience, it applies to accounting, but whether it extends to other business fields, I don't know. I'd guess it does.)

i disagree with that.... in my case, my work experience completely changed my research interests and helped me form and shape my direction which i eventually will be pursuing in my phd. however, i admit that during this work I have always "kept in touch" with the academic world by reading related academic papers that related to problems i found at work.

having said that - I agree that in terms of admission (and admission only), and if the choices are working X months in HR vs. working same X months as RA (or similar research position) - you'd be better off doing some research stuff (I had both on my resume... and X was rather large).

and just to add another confusing aspect to my already confusing post - i believe that it is not the experience itself, but what you make of it, that are important - and this should be shown on your SOP. so if you eventually worked as HR and it helped you in shaping your "PhD soul" in a valuable way, then tell this story in the SOP, and it will be better than just saying you've been RA for 2 years.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4406 posts