Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 22:26 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 22:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
I do plan to be as polite as possible.

I wonder if it would be worth also mentioning the huge difference in cost of living. My rent in Boston is $700/month, NY will be about double that.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
johnnyx9 wrote:

I wonder if it would be worth also mentioning the huge difference in cost of living. My rent in Boston is $700/month, NY will be about double that.

I don't think that is legitimate ammo, your asking for money simply based on financial expenses. You need to put your merit forward. See if you can mention anything that has happened since you applied/interviewed...perhaps a promotion at work or the completion of a class or even some additonal community involvement.

Simply saying it's more expensive than Boston could be counterproductive.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Wow, it's worth a shot. Good luck!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Go for it !!

You never know until you ask, at max. they might deny the request but not asking will leave you "What would have been "

All the best

Cheers
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Bookmarks
I really don't have anything impressive to inform them of, no promotions or anything. Plus at this point I feel like that might seem silly, saying basically, "I know you're interested in me, but I'm an even better candidate now, how much is that worth to you?"

Although I do agree that merit scholarships are based on just that sort of thing.

Maybe I shouldn't mention the name of the other school and just say that "another program" has offered my blah blah blah.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
agsfaltex wrote:
johnnyx9 wrote:

I don't think that is legitimate ammo, your asking for money simply based on financial expenses. You need to put your merit forward. See if you can mention anything that has happened since you applied/interviewed...perhaps a promotion at work or the completion of a class or even some additonal community involvement.

EXACTLY right. Merit Merit Merit. Highlight what you've done that requires reconsideration - not cost of living.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Really? Hypothetically speaking, if I had recently been promoted, then you think I should approach it like, "I just wanted to let you know that I was recently promoted, and I was hoping that the admissions office would be willing to reconsider my eligibility for merit scholarship..." or something along those lines?

I don't know why that seems odd to me, but I guess if that's the way it works.

Thanks for everyone's advice, as always much appreciated.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
agsfaltex wrote:
johnnyx9 wrote:

EXACTLY right. Merit Merit Merit. Highlight what you've done that requires reconsideration - not cost of living.

There's 2 type of scholarships:

1) Need based : prove you are poor and you'll get it.
2) Merit based: the school wants you more than the average applicant. (used to manage yield / class profile).

If Stern's scholarships are merit based, then you should take the advice given to you by rhyme and agsfaltex. I'm not sure how to efficiently execute such a strategy, talk to someone who has been succesful.

Cheers. L.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
Johnny - I would be careful on trying to get them to match BU, or giving them the impression that is what you are after. I could see that getting their back-up, especially (in hjort's assessment) BU is a lower school.

You should ask, try and see if you can get something, but going form nada to ask for a free-ride seems to stretch the hopes a little.

Obviously all the merit based chat is useful. Arguing it is more expensive to live in NYC? I can't see anyone falling for that, or yourself coming out great. Everyone knows NYC is expensive, so raising the issue could give the impression you don't really know what you are letting yourself in for by going there.

Although Admissions are now on the sell side rather than the buy, they are people you will interact with at school, and people involved in a lot of what goes on (there is a lot of student involvement in the Admissions Office as you are likely aware).

So, what am I trying to say? Not sure. 2nd round Stern has less scholarships, but some. So if you have zero now, asking them about it, or leveraging against BU, isn't likely to get you the near free ride at BU. It might get you something though, and is definitely worth making them aware of - I doubt it is something you have informed them of, and may sway them a little.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
3Underscore,

Points taken. I guess it would sound naive to be whining about the difference in the cost of living.

Thanks!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [4]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos