Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 07:09 It is currently 05 May 2024, 07:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
We will be doing something private, and probably less expensive (I am looking for a sub $2k 1-br in certain parts of town. We should manage it).

Mind, the Good Lady is sure to begin convincing me how we can afford more so she can live somewhere better (depends on her earnings right enough, so we will see!).

I wouldn't want student accom myself, but I am jaded through experiences in the UK. And with there being two of us, and having my brother to (hopefully) stay with while we look it should be possible.

Obviously, I understand such facility isn't available to everyone. A lot of people are looking to do the student accom 1st term, so they can get to grips with things.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
this is exactly why I didn't even apply to Columbia/NYU although they are darn good schools. :lol:
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
I've heard Columbia has subsidized student housing. Probably has to do with the fact that it's located in Harlem.

The convenience of student housing would be great. But the fact that it comes with a standard issue twin-bed is not so cool. And you're not allowed to bring in your own furniture.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
Columbia does have subsidized student housing, but you must enter a lottery to get it. It's assigned based on how far from NY each person is.

I had a friend that went to NYU law school. The student was really cramped. Barely enough room to turn around between the bed and the desk, but of course you do get to live in lower Manhattan within walking distance to the meatpacking district.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
johnnyx9 wrote:
I've heard Columbia has subsidized student housing. Probably has to do with the fact that it's located in Harlem.

Columbia housing is better, but NYU campus experience is unparalleled. You have access to the village which is the heart of NYC.

johnnyx9 wrote:
The convenience of student housing would be great. But the fact that it comes with a standard issue twin-bed is not so cool. And you're not allowed to bring in your own furniture.

If you're so inclined, try looking at Williamsburg, Brooklyn. It is 3-4 stops away on the very reliable L train. The price of places might not be much lower, but you'll get something bigger than a dinky little studio.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Cool Kidderek, thanks for the info, I'll check that out.

By the way, what's up with your avatar, I known Permian is one of those crazy powerhouse football teams in TX, you play?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
When I was at Columbia Law School many moons ago (I'm an old fart), I lived in subsidized student housing. My room during the first two years was 110 square feet. Yes, folks, 10 by 11. My rent was $900/month (subsidized).

My last year I moved into a business school dorm. When I opened the door and saw 125 square feet, I thought I had never seen anything bigger. I was so happy.

Neither had central air conditioning, so it could get HOT.

I'm sure its more expensive now and I doubt the rooms are much bigger. So, yeh, even though subsidized, you are dealing with s-m-a-l-l. It's like being a college freshman all over again.

I did not apply to either Columbia or NYU and that was a major, but by no means only reason.

In fact, I bet the mortgage payment + property taxes on my 3000 square foot house in a good neighborhood of a nice NC city is hundreds of dollars cheaper than the current rent on my old 110 square foot law school dorm room. Aye carumba!

PS In fairness though, I didn't have to pay any utility bills on my old dorm rooms, but I do on the house. One of my best investments was an AC window unit. With CU paying the bills, I lived in a refrigerator. Muahaha.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
johnnyx9 wrote:
By the way, what's up with your avatar, I known Permian is one of those crazy powerhouse football teams in TX, you play?

kidd + derek (luke) <-- the actor = kidderek
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
johnnyx9 wrote:

it looks like the character from 'friday night lights' movie.
SVP
SVP
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
kidderek wrote:
If you're so inclined, try looking at Williamsburg, Brooklyn. It is 3-4 stops away on the very reliable L train. The price of places might not be much lower, but you'll get something bigger than a dinky little studio.

I'm not actually cool enough to even walk through Williamsburg. Ya gotta be pretty hip to walk those streets.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
My brother has lived in NYC for a pretty long time now, I never have but I have spent a lot of time visiting him at his various places. NYU is one of the schools I have been looking at applying to and picked my brothers brain recently on city life. Overall NYC seems very expensive but if you are willing to have a broad search and know what you want there is probably a neighborhood for you. Here are my opinions of his last few apartments.

Williamsburg: Nice area, easy ride into the city, seemed fairly quiet and safe. Apartment was a big one bedroom loft type. High ceilings, large open floor plan for a one bedroom. The bedroom was still pretty small though.

E 2nd: Walking distance to NYU, expensive for what you get, lots of good places to eat, and interesting places to go out. Small two bedroom...both bedrooms were not much bigger than my walk in closet. The kitchen and living room area was small and its a good thing there was lots of good takeout cause I don’t think you could cook in the kitchen since there was no counter space, and all the appliances were half scale.

Current place is a three floor brown stone right near Prospect Park in Brooklyn. By far the best place...though rent is a lot more than your range some of the buildings in the area are broken into three different units, or one two floor with a single floor unit on top. Or if you decide to get roommates. They have a yard which was a must since his fiancé has a big dog. If I was moving to NY and had the means its a great area and would be my top choice since its quiet and actually reminds me of some sections of Boston.

Manhattan is over priced but if go outside of the city your money will get you a lot more of an apartment. Its shocking at first to see that a nice one bedroom will cost the same as the mortgage on a nice house in most of the country.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 236 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I've lived in Manhattan for a few years and, honestly, if I could find any studio for $1680/month in the village, I would jump at it immediately. In my experience, celebrities and wealthy folks drive up housing prices on an island without much space for development. There are neighborhoods in Brooklyn that are quite nice, but even Williamsburg and Brooklyn Heights have their limitations. For example, earlier this year, the L train from Williamsburg to Manhattan was under construction and not running on weekends for several months. If you lived in Williamsburg during that time you could forget getting to Manhattan/NYU in less than a few hours. You'd have to have taken another train farther out into Brooklyn and switch lines to get back in to Manhattan. If you're living in Manhattan, you're paying for convenience. It's up to you to decide how important it is to you/how much that's worth.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
WCS ---> craigslistnewyork
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for all the info guys.

AAUDETAT - You're right about Williamsburgh, I think I would have to grow one of those trendy massive alterna-beards that everyone there sports if I had any chance of fitting in.
SVP
SVP
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
johnnyx9 wrote:
Thanks for all the info guys.

AAUDETAT - You're right about Williamsburgh, I think I would have to grow one of those trendy massive alterna-beards that everyone there sports if I had any chance of fitting in.

And wear skinny pants. Do you have any skinny pants?
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
I do actually, my girlfriend got me an embrassingly expensive pair of jeans for xmas that would fit the bill, make me look like a Brit-rocker or a lost member of the Strokes, but I've only worn them in NY cuz they're too hip for anywhere else.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Don't worry, Johnny, you can come visit me at Cambridge where your NY-style will fit.

Cheers. L.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2