Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 12:15 It is currently 03 May 2024, 12:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1013 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 236 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Like Praetorian, I think health and wellbeing, both mental and physical, is a very important factor. I stopped drinking alcohol and caffeine, stopped eating rubbish, and made sure I regulated my sleep pattern whilst preparing for the test. You also need to make sure you don't let the test stress you out, if you are scared of the GMAT you will not perform.

I scored a 750 on my second attempt.

1. what was your score in your first GMATprep: 700 (after 1 month prep)

2. what was your score in your last GMATprep: 770 (after 3 months)

3. my important question: while taking the test and answering all the problems.. how did you feel? were you confident that you were able to answer most of the questions correctly?

I don't think you can gauge how you are doing, at least I couldn't. Many times when I thought I was doing great I got a bad score, and many times I thought I was doing bad I got a good score. Because the better you do the harder the questions become, it is difficult to know where you stand. My advice would be to approach every question in isolation.

4. one short advice

Resign yourself to the possibility of having to retake the exam. If you go in with a one shot mentality you are adding extra pressure to an already stressful situation.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
I will support the idea that health, plenty of rest and a positive mindset on test day can do wonders for the final score. My preparation went something like this.

Studied the OG11 for 2-3 weeks.

Took GMATprep 4 times over the course of 2 weeks scoring between 750-780 each time.

On test day, I didn't sleep well the night before so I decided a little extra caffeine & sugar would help me combat the lack of sleep. The extra caffeine & candy bars, combined with a little nervous tension and lack of sleep resulted in a pounding headache by the time I got to the verbal section. I couldn't concentrate or sit still and I couldn't wait for the test to end. The result was 730 48Q/41V/6.0. The verbal was markedly lower than any of my practice exams, and I believe resulted in poor test day execution (too tired, too much caffeine).

I had to wait a month to retake the exam so I went over all the OG questions again and ordered the Official quantitative guide (the green book). Strangely, even though I pooped myself on the verbal section, I was pretty confident I could do well if I just managed my test day better so I focused on getting 2-3 more points on the quantitative section (great advice from GMATT a friend here at Gmatclub).

A month later, I rolled into the exam center again for my afternoon sitting. I had a good night of sleep and avoided any more caffeine or sugar than normal (I still drank the coke I normally do at lunch). I cruised through the AWA section and felt so good that I skipped the first break and went right into the Q section. Things fell into place and I was able to work briskly early in the section, saving some precious minutes to grind through some tricky questions at the end.

I took a quick break and returned for the verbal section. To answer your question, truly it felt as if I was absolutely sure about every single answer in the whole section. For every SC I seemed to notice what they were testing, for every CR I seemed to see through the logic of the question, for every RC I seemed to predict every issue. I finished the verbal section with more than 20 minutes to spare. Final score 780 50Q/51V/6.0.

My advice would be to build as much confidence as you can during practice. A week before the exam, try to adjust your body to the exam schedule. For example, if you have a 1pm time, start a week ahead of time and try to practice each day at 1pm - and practice four hours to simulate the duration of the exam if you can. Also, try to adjust your body to eating before the exam, but not snacking in the interim so you don't get hungry and cause your mind to wander on test day. But the best piece of advice is to practice rigorously so you can walk in with confidence on test day - this will allow you to really do your best, whether that is 600, 700 or 800.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
1. what was your score in your first GMATprep (if possible, before even reviewing)

760 (Two weeks before G-day. After 3 months of prep)

Quote:
2. what was your score in your last GMATprep (last test before taking the exam)

780 (Two days before G-day)

Quote:
3. my important question: while taking the test and answering all the problems.. how did you feel? were you confident that you were able to answer most of the questions correctly?

Hmm...my answer to this will be an anomaly. In all my GMATprep's I scored a 50 in quant. On G-day, I 'felt' I wan't doing as well and ended up with a 49. Also, I 'knew' I was doing extremely well on verbal. Don't ask me how. I just did and ended up with a 46. So in essence, what I 'felt' turned out to be true. Then again, I would recommend not guaging your perfomance during the test. You have all the time in the world to do that after the 4-hour monster!

Quote:
4. one short advice

Praetorian's given you all the advice you'll need :)

Hold on..I got something. Do NOT skip the AWAs in your practice tests. The extra one hour makes a huge difference.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
1. what was your score in your first GMATprep (if possible, before even reviewing)

2. what was your score in your last GMATprep (last test before taking the exam)

Felt good. Was used to GMAT format from practice tests.

4. one short advice

Rest well. Relax. Don't waste time on questions you can't solve within 3 minutes.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 189 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
This is good stuff. a real stuff
Thanks you everyone

Javed.

Cheers!
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]